Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth in December!!!

Perth in December!!!

Old Aug 6th 2003, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Jo Cousins will become famous soon enough
Default Perth in December!!!

Hi all - just found this website by accident really but have already picked up some really useful tips and hints for emigrating. We are off to Perth in December and am currently at the stage of being vvv excited but also at the 'r we doing the right thing' stage. Does everyone get this?? I hope so! We have weighed up the pros and cons so many times it is untrue and the pros do seem to outweigh the cons but i would love to hear from anyone already in Perth or anyone planning on going there soon too. Also can anybody tell me if these build your own homes prices on the websites include the price of the land? I am assuming they dont but if not, does anyone know how much land is going for?
Altho' i realise it will be dependant on the area, but i would love to hear from anyone who has built their own home as that is ideally what we would like to do when we get settled.
Ta
Jo
Old Aug 6th 2003, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Welcome to the site.

Everyone seems to go through the 'am I doing the right thing stage'. Usually once you have the visa and realise that you can actually go, nothing is stopping you but yourself.

Why are you choosing Perth? Do you have family out there?

Lastly ignore everything that Pommie Bastard says he hates Perth and will do his upmost to put people off going there.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Mr&MrsPom is an unknown quantity at this point

You are looking at about a$200k for a decent piece of land in Joondalup.

The build prices do not include the land.

You can get land and house packages though i believe.

Regards
Mrs Pom
Old Aug 6th 2003, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Joondalup and surrounding areas land prices are around the $200,000+ mark. But there are many other areas that are around $100,000. Depends on where you want to live, how far from the city, how far from train line (this usually hikes the price up a bit). These days I would much prefer to buy an established house - under 10 years old. It may cost you upfront, but you don't have all the hard work of painting, decorating, airconditioning, reticulating gardens, lawns etc. Just my opinion, but that is the way I would go. 12 years ago we bought our 710sqm block for $37,500, now you can not a block for 400sqm for under $120,000 in the same area. Ridiculous.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

PHIZA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth in December!!!

Originally posted by Jo Cousins
Also can anybody tell me if these build your own homes prices on the websites include the price of the land? I am assuming they dont but if not, does anyone know how much land is going for?
Altho' i realise it will be dependant on the area, but i would love to hear from anyone who has built their own home as that is ideally what we would like to do when we get settled.
Ta
Jo

Hi Jo ,

Try a look at this link, its for a builder in Perth that has some great looking houses, which also seems to give a fairly comprehensive list of what you get for your money.
There's also links to building plots in various developments around Perth.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

PHIZA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PHIZA
Hi Jo ,

Try a look at this link, its for a builder in Perth that has some great looking houses, which also seems to give a fairly comprehensive list of what you get for your money.
There's also links to building plots in various developments around Perth.

WHOOPS !!

I forgot to include the link!!

Here it is!!

www.dalealcock.com.au/home.asp
Old Aug 6th 2003, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Good site Phiz, I tried to find some Land for Sale sites, but to no avail. Dale Alcock are a pretty average builder in Perth, not bad, not good- but no real bad reports, so I guess I would look at what they had to offer. The only thing that pees me off with these sites is that they never give you any prices on anything. You always have to send them an email to get an email back. I really hate giving me email address to companies. Why can they just not have the prices on hand, it is a lot easier for people to get a better idea of what they are looking for.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Mr&MrsPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi suebo,

I feel the same about jobs, if you knew what salary was being offered you would know whether it was worth applying for or not.

Regards
Mrs Pom
Old Aug 7th 2003, 12:39 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tinaj
Welcome to the site.

Everyone seems to go through the 'am I doing the right thing stage'. Usually once you have the visa and realise that you can actually go, nothing is stopping you but yourself.

Why are you choosing Perth? Do you have family out there?

Lastly ignore everything that Pommie Bastard says he hates Perth and will do his upmost to put people off going there.

By the last count 40% of Pom refugees are heading for Perth which has about as much industry as Cornwall , the dole figures will zoom.

AUSTRALIA'S unemployment rate was a seasonally adjusted 6.2 per cent in July, from an unrevised 6.1 per cent in June, the Australian Bureau of Statistics said.

Total employment fell 55,200 to 9.452 million, adjusted.
Of this, full time employment fell 700, and part time employment fell 54,500.

The workforce participation rate in July was 63.4 per cent from 63.8 per cent in June.

The ABS said the economy shed only 700 full-time jobs in July but part-time jobs fell by 54,500, allowing for seasonal factors.

The ABS said total employment for July was 9.45 million, and the number of unemployed rose by 6,900 to 626,900.

Queensland had the highest unemployment rate at 6.8 per cent, followed by Tasmania at 6.7 per cent, NSW at 6.4 per cent and Western Australia at 6.2 per cent.

South Australia was below the national average with a jobless rate of 6.0 per cent and Victoria had the lowest rate at 5.7 per cent

Then again the other side of the coin?

The UK's unemployment rate has fallen to its lowest level for two years as the labour market remains strong, according to official figures.
Data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) showed the number of people out of work in the three months to May fell by 20,000 to 1,474,000, bringing the unemployment rate down to 5%.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Aug 7th 2003 at 4:27 am.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 4:43 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all - just found this website by accident really but have already picked up some really useful tips and hints for emigrating. We are off to Perth in December and am currently at the stage of being vvv excited but also at the 'r we doing the right thing' stage. Does everyone get this?? I hope so! We have weighed up the pros and cons so many times it is untrue and the pros do seem to outweigh the cons but i would love to hear from anyone already in Perth or anyone planning on going there soon too. Also can anybody tell me if these build your own homes prices on the websites include the price of the land? I am assuming they dont but if not, does anyone know how much land is going for?
Ta
Jo
If you wish to build in a average area to buy block , build home and finish home and block , you need between $350K-$400k at lest .

Old Aug 7th 2003, 4:51 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Ta
Jo
Hi Jo,

As a bit of an 'impartial' (we're off to NZ) it would be interesting to know why you are heading off to Perth? Quite a few posters here have said they love living there etc and it's worth searching the forum archives. But if it was me, I'd go for the east side of Australia not the west - in comparison: lots more population, lots more jobs, more cities, you can travel by car from one centre to another without thinking of it as a four hour flight, much more variability in climate so you can pick what suits you.

But I have heard there's excellent diving off the west coast too!
Old Aug 7th 2003, 4:56 am
Banned

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Hi Jo,

As a bit of an 'impartial' (we're off to NZ) it would be interesting to know why you are heading off to Perth? Quite a few posters here have said they love living there etc and it's worth searching the forum archives. But if it was me, I'd go for the east side of Australia not the west - in comparison: lots more population, lots more jobs, more cities, you can travel by car from one centre to another without thinking of it as a four hour flight, much more variability in climate so you can pick what suits you.

But I have heard there's excellent diving off the west coast too!
Northern Burbs of Perth are to be renamed South Manchester they are a Pom ghetto , Perth is for Poms who want to live amoung the good people from the North of England with the odd Southerner thrown in plus a few Celts.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Aug 7th 2003 at 4:58 am.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point

You always have to send them an email to get an email back. I really hate giving me email address to companies.

set up an alternative email account with hotmail.com or similar and use it for any potential junk mail posts. Works a treat. Handy when out of country as it's easy to read from a remote pc.
Just a thought
LMS
Old Aug 7th 2003, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Hi

We are off to perth november 29th, really looking forward to it. For land prices try www.landstore.com.au it will show you areas, block sizes and prices.

Good Luck, maybe see you there

Lynn
Old Aug 7th 2003, 9:54 am
Just Joined

rimsky is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

Jo

Everyone who emigrates feels like you are feeling, it is a huge step to take but a very exciting one.

My husband and I first moved to Perth in 1987 and from day 1 I was very homesick. We had our first child here but returned to the uk in 1991. After 11 years (and lots of good times with both family and friends) we returned here in Feb this year.

So you are asking why did we come back? Well the answer is lifestyle; we now have 3 children and life offers them so much more over here, they play tennis, they are going to learn to surf, we have the ocean on our doorstep, they can do simple things that are fun and don't cost a fortune!

We have been able to afford a very large house (in comparison to what we had in the UK) with a much smaller mortgage. We are currently in the process of putting in a pool.

The wages are less over here but it doesn't cost as much to live.

We would have like to have build but it is now getting difficult to buy a decent size block of land (above 650sq metres). What you have to consider when you build is what it costs to finish the house of (as lots of things are not included in the price - i.e painting, airconditioning, floor tiles, carpets, fencing, lawns, reticulation etc).

Hope this info helps - Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.