Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth company looking to open up an office in the UK

Perth company looking to open up an office in the UK

Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth company looking to open up an office in the UK

Originally Posted by chris955
Yes, if it's easy here it's easier there, if it's bad here it's worse there.
I'm guessing you're replying to me, seeing as you refuse to use the quote system?

Like I said champster, I dunno if it is easier here, but it's very easy over there.

Believe what you want to believe - that's your indaba, not mine.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:21 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
Sounds like a very good idea to me, They can recruit from all over the EU, so a very large pool of very qualified people to choose from. You often talk of the incredibly high salaries being offered in Perth, so this also makes sense to move to an area with a cheaper cost base. If they do it right they could do very well out of it.
Maybe, who knows. Like I said earlier, I don't think it's a good idea as outsourcing of engineering design has never gone well - wherever it is done.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:23 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

If I didn't know better....I would suggest this is simply another 'uber' transparent dig at the UK and it's economy
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Grayling
If I didn't know better....I would suggest this is simply another 'uber' transparent dig at the UK and it's economy
If you are 'uber' sensitive, like you are, about anything to do with the UK then it is. For everyone else, the thread is for information and debate only.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:32 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If you are 'uber' sensitive, like you are, about anything to do with the UK then it is. For everyone else, the thread is for information and debate only.
From someone as 'uber' hostile to the UK and 'poms' as you are, then it is pretty obvious what it is about.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

From someone as 'uber' hostile to the UK and 'poms' as you are, then it is pretty obvious what it is about.
I like the UK G, it's an okay place, but for me offers an average lifestyle.

I like Brits, but have no time for whinging Poms.

Everything you need to know about me and this topic is in those 2 sentences.

This thread was for info and debate only but think whatever you want to think, a shit is not being given.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 7:36 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely not ?

Old Jul 23rd 2011, 8:20 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Just bumped into an ex-colleague who is now quite senior at Calibre Projects, which is a Perth-based mining EPCM company. They are looking into opening a design office in the UK, probably in the Reading/Thames Valley area, as engineers and designers are cheap as chips over there compared to Australia, and plenty available (unlike Perth). Also easier and cheaper to close up and sack if/when exchange rate goes back the other way or work dries up.

Probably not a good idea overall, as major design outsourcing always ends in tears - no matter where it is done. Skill shortage is really hurting engineering in Perth though.
Welcome to the world of IT.

Ability of the people employed will be secondary to the fact that the company can save a packet by employing overseas. Current exchange conditions and the availability of skilled staff, makes the UK a very sensible place to be employing professionals.

If engineers in Perth, are being paid anything like the rates being bandied about, then companies with any sort of global footprint, would be bloody stupid to keep employing staff there.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Just bumped into an ex-colleague who is now quite senior at Calibre Projects, which is a Perth-based mining EPCM company. They are looking into opening a design office in the UK, probably in the Reading/Thames Valley area, as engineers and designers are cheap as chips over there compared to Australia, and plenty available (unlike Perth). Also easier and cheaper to close up and sack if/when exchange rate goes back the other way or work dries up.

Probably not a good idea overall, as major design outsourcing always ends in tears - no matter where it is done. Skill shortage is really hurting engineering in Perth though.
Surely it would be cheaper just to sponsor engineers to come out to Perth?
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 8:38 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Surely it would be cheaper just to sponsor engineers to come out to Perth?
...and pay them four times as much?
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 9:15 am
Banned

We will just start seeing what we have seen with most other industries here, it will be moved offshore. As you say it makes no sense to pay silly money here.

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Welcome to the world of IT.

Ability of the people employed will be secondary to the fact that the company can save a packet by employing overseas. Current exchange conditions and the availability of skilled staff, makes the UK a very sensible place to be employing professionals.

If engineers in Perth, are being paid anything like the rates being bandied about, then companies with any sort of global footprint, would be bloody stupid to keep employing staff there.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 9:17 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
...and pay them four times as much?
Currently an Offshore Structural Designer (can't comment on Engineers as I don't know) could earn roughly 50 GBP an hour in London. Here in Perth the going rate would be roughly mid 90 Australian Dollars. Not much in it really.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Wow ..... so let me get this straight, .... for all Perth has to offer, big wages, great beaches, fabulous lifestyle, there are no no takers?! WOT!

LOL, perhaps Perth has priced itself out along with almost every other industry here.

Time you got with the program Amazulu and realised what is REALLY GOING on in Perth and Australia.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Simple economics? This has been going on for a long time now, Gorgon & Browse LNG rigs are being designed in London, Pluto had a lot of it's design done in Reading, there's a huge skills base there with a competative wage structure. It's nothing sinister other than what has been going on in other parts of the world for years, just now the pound has made the UK an attractive place to outsource for certain industries. It can only be of a benefit to the UK, so your comment is really quite odd.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.