Reload this Page >

Perth - Cockburn/Thomsons Lake or Wellard areas

Perth - Cockburn/Thomsons Lake or Wellard areas

Old Dec 17th 2004, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

dave66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth - Cockburn/Thomsons Lake or Wellard areas

Hi Folks,

Anyone living in Perth know much about this area ? Specifically as a possible place to live. I believe there is a lot of new housing estates shooting up along the new metro line link. How far is it from the beach ? Are there schools, etc..is it mainly an industrial area ? I currently live in Sydney and am seriously thinking about moving to Perth (last week I was seriously thinking about moving home ! then I started to wonder about Perth, I've never been there). Everyone I have spoken to about Perth raves about it, esp. the laid back way of life.

Any info would be greatly received.

Thanks,
Dave
Old Dec 17th 2004, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Perth - Cockburn/Thomsons Lake or Wellard areas

Originally Posted by davebwithane
Hi Folks,

Anyone living in Perth know much about this area ? Specifically as a possible place to live. I believe there is a lot of new housing estates shooting up along the new metro line link. How far is it from the beach ? Are there schools, etc..is it mainly an industrial area ? I currently live in Sydney and am seriously thinking about moving to Perth (last week I was seriously thinking about moving home ! then I started to wonder about Perth, I've never been there). Everyone I have spoken to about Perth raves about it, esp. the laid back way of life.

Any info would be greatly received.

Thanks,
Dave
Cockburn is very close to Kwinana which is heavy industrial. I'm talking aluminium refineries, oil etc... There are a lot of areas that have been cleaned up around this area. Cockburn has it's own little beach area Cockburn Sound. It's not far from Freo. It's also close to Garden Island which is the naval base.

Suggest look at www.aussiemove.com and have a look at their suburb profiles and photos.
Old Dec 17th 2004, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Ushas.
Tough question....
Any advice on decent up and coming areas in Perth to purchase for a young family ? If we do move there it would be in about 6 months time.
Thanks again.
Dave
Old Dec 17th 2004, 11:32 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ushas
Cockburn is very close to Kwinana which is heavy industrial. I'm talking aluminium refineries, oil etc... There are a lot of areas that have been cleaned up around this area. Cockburn has it's own little beach area Cockburn Sound. It's not far from Freo. It's also close to Garden Island which is the naval base.

Suggest look at www.aussiemove.com and have a look at their suburb profiles and photos.
We live in Cockburn, if you could be more specific on the suburb you fancy I may be able to help
Old Dec 17th 2004, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

Thanks Ushas.
Tough question....
Any advice on decent up and coming areas in Perth to purchase for a young family ? If we do move there it would be in about 6 months time.
Thanks again.
Dave
It's hard to say really...depends on whether you wish to go North or South of River. North has loads of new estates and suburbs cropping up all the time, Hillarys, Clarkson that way on.
South of River you have places like Canning Vale and umm..South Lakes, Bibra Lake, North Lake.

A lot of the older areas have been really cleaned up, aesthetically and 'housing association' wise as well. Have you tried looking at some of the real estate sites?
www.ljhooker.com.au
www.professionals.com.au
www.royweston.com.au
www.raywhite.com.au
www.reiwa.com.au

And as I say Aussiemove has some excellent suburb profiles.
Old Dec 17th 2004, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Have a look at Atwell, Success, Coogee and Hamilton Hill. All relatively near to the beach. Good for families, and will have good public transport.
Old Dec 19th 2004, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Hi Walla1,

I'm looking at Success...do you know anything about this area ? Also, have you heard of Brookdale ?

Thanks,
Dave
Old Dec 19th 2004, 8:57 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Walla1,

I'm looking at Success...do you know anything about this area ? Also, have you heard of Brookdale ?

Thanks,
Dave
Brookdale is up beside Armadale further towards the hills, I don't know the area but as a rule of thumb the closer you get to the hills property prices decrease. Make of that what you will. Once in the hills thou some areas are pretty expensive.

Success is 2 suburbs down from me, I'm in Leeming (City of Cockburn) on the other side of the Kwinana Freeway so you're not from the beautiful Coogee Beach, maybe about 8ks. That's about all I can tell you, I've only been here 3 months, except 2 weeks ago there was a $8 lottery winner from Success

OK just checked todays paper house prices look to be around 300k to 400k for 4 beds and 2 baths in Success. There are 2 in Brookdale, 1 at 200k and 1 at 360k both 4 bedders.

If you like the beach life Success is for you, In my humble opinion.

Walla
Old Dec 19th 2004, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again Walla,
Dave