Perth-Clarkson

Old Jul 16th 2004, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

PaulaJ will become famous soon enoughPaulaJ will become famous soon enough
Default Perth-Clarkson

I've read numerous posts about Clarkson, a couple positive but most negative: "rough area", "rough dump", "it's Hell" etc. I would like to know from people who have negative feelings about it, what they are, specifically. What makes it's rough? Why is it Hell? Oh, and what does grotty mean? Doesn't sound good.

Clarkson is not a choice for me in that it's where my husband lived before he met me and it is where we will live upon our move to OZ (he kept his house when he moved to the US). That being said I have been there and find it to be pleasant, cozy, attractive. I can tell you I've lived in places that, at least by appearances, were far worse. I'm sure my experiences and expectations are different from others. For example I have never owned a home, I used to be a single parent living on a shoestring budget. (I can stretch a dollar like plastic man could stretch his arms). I don't need fancy or expensive, and status really means nothing to me. I do want clean, comfortable and friendly. I want down to earth neighbors. A little place to call my own.

So I'm not asking for a go there/don't go there opinion, I just want to be aware of what the negatives are, and for those who have negative opinions, what your expectations were/are in terms of choosing a suburb.

Thanks, and, PS, what are Yobs? Hoon?

Paula

Last edited by PaulaJ; Jul 16th 2004 at 7:43 am.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 7:36 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Hi Paula,
we heard the same sort of stuff about Clarkson when we were out their.
But after driving round countless suburbs decided that we actually quite liked Clarkson. It is after all a first time buyers area so you can buy property at a good price. You wont find a cheaper area as close to the sea as Clarkson.
We bought a new build in the Somerly development south of Clarkson and believe me its really nice there. Certainly no worse than any other suburb that we saw.
Remember you could move to a really expensive area and still have dodgy neighbours!
Plus if you dont like it .......move.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

welshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to all

We lived there when we first arrived here in July last year. Stayed in rented house for 6 months. We were in the new area near the shopping centre, and it was a really nice area. There are older parts that aren't so nice, but, you would never get a house so close to the sea anywhere else for the prices they are there. There are major developments going on there, with expansion of the shopping centre and a train station and library being built. It is definitely a good area for investing in. We live just down the road in Kinross now. I am sure you will get more info from Diane on this site as she lives in Clarkson.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:45 pm
joveazey

Hi

I asked this before but got no response - thought someone on this thread might know - what is Quinns Rocks like ? From the real estate websites it looks cheaper than Duncraig/Kingsley etc. but would like to know exactly how far it is from them in time and if it is a nice area. It looks like it's up and coming as the house prices have gone up 35% in the last year compared to 25% in Greenwood(where my sister in law lives who we want to be close to, hence the question of distance)

Thanks

Jo

Old Jul 16th 2004, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

bonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant future

Originally posted by joveazey
Hi

I asked this before but got no response - thought someone on this thread might know - what is Quinns Rocks like ? From the real estate websites it looks cheaper than Duncraig/Kingsley etc. but would like to know exactly how far it is from them in time and if it is a nice area. It looks like it's up and coming as the house prices have gone up 35% in the last year compared to 25% in Greenwood(where my sister in law lives who we want to be close to, hence the question of distance)

Thanks

Jo
Quinns rock is really nice ,we want to settle there,the first bit is old,but interesting,lots of old houses,not bad though just part of there history,and its nice to c the old way they lived.....its an old area,but nice,and the new houses a bit further up are def lovely,its abit exspensive (compared to other areas,but i reckon investment wise ,then u cant go wrong...
natasha
Old Jul 16th 2004, 7:57 pm

chris n will become famous soon enoughchris n will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Perth-Clarkson

[QUOTE
Thanks, and, PS, what are Yobs? Hoon?

Paula [/QUOTE]

Paula

Yobs and Hoons are pretty much the same thing. Not sure what converts into American but I always though a 'hoon' was a young hooligan, late teens, tends to drive round too fast in a car (usually their parents!). Does that make sense???

Chris
Old Jul 16th 2004, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth-Clarkson

hoons are most definately youngsters who rag around in their big V8 cars, usually at 3am, up and down residential streets and doing donuts, drag-racing, etc. Tend to wake up the neighbourhood but by the time the police get there, they've moved on. It's a bit of an Aussie phenomenen.
Lots of youngsters have cars that are way too powerful for them...not usually their parents' cars either.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

The people who live here in Clarkson seem positive about being here, the negatives come from people who are passing things on word of mouth no doubt. I have lived in places in UK where I was not ashamed to say god it's horrible, cant wait to move. We could easily move somewhere else as we are both working and could afford a small mortgage but without paying an arm and a leg and having a lottery win there is nowhere I can think of that's I'd like to move to where I would something extra that I don't already have at the minute. Burns Beach would be top of my list jsut now. We are minutes from the beach, have a brilliant spot (private with great view), got the pool, local shops ad ameinities and the kids are happy at school.

Paula - your hubbys house will have shot up in value and will continue to over the next year with all the new things happening in Clarkson so even if you don't like it and feel you have to move then you should have made quite a bit on his house.

But I can honestly say that we like it and have had no problems.

PS We can't afford hoons in Clarkson, their cars always break down!!!

Good Luck
Diane

Last edited by DianeOZ; Jul 18th 2004 at 9:15 am.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

our view
Attached Thumbnails Perth-Clarkson-p2240005.jpg  
Old Jul 18th 2004, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by joveazey
Hi

Thanks

Jo

We are staying with friends in Butler at moment and going to rent here to whilst we look around, from what I've seen the areas around here are all fine, Clarkson has lots of shops at Ocean Keys and more going up soon with new train station on way. Went to birthday party at Quinns Beach part today with friends and that area looked great too. Its prob about 15 mins drive to those areas you mentioned, not far as you need to drive to get to most places anywhere. The train will connect with the new Greenwood station too which is also currently being built.

really depends on what you want but we certainly like it up this way
Old Jul 18th 2004, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Dianeoz the view looks fab!
Old Jul 18th 2004, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

PaulaJ will become famous soon enoughPaulaJ will become famous soon enough

Thanks all. Extra thanks Diane I'm glad you are going to be my neighbor (sorry, neighbour) some day! I know hubby's home has already gone up in value in the two years he's lived here. Our mortgage there is only 700 AUD, which to me is dirt cheap for a three bedroom house so close to the beach, on a quiet street, in a beautiful neighborhood. Here in Maine we are paying 1200 American dollars to rent a place (1641.58 AUD today).

I just know I'm going to love it there. (Don't worry, I know it won't all be perfect)

Paula