Perth car hire

Old Mar 15th 2004, 5:07 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough
Default Perth car hire

Can anyone give me advice on car hire in Perth?
I need a car for about 20 days and wondered if it was cheaper to wander down into Perth and rent a car when I get there or to pre book before I go.
I have a lift from the airport so there's no problem there
I need a family car as there are 5 of us, maybe an MPV..
Anyone have any ideas of cost etc.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 5:14 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth car hire

Originally posted by pompeywill
I need a car for about 20 days and wondered if it was cheaper to wander down into Perth and rent a car when I get there or to pre book before I go.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...by=&sortorder=

there's links to rental places in those threads. And they have prices on their websites.

I recommend Bayswater.

I'd rent when you get there, or at least direct via the website or something.
Not through a travel agency or anything, that will always be more expensive.

good luck

Simone
Old Mar 15th 2004, 5:31 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Thx Simone,
I checked out the Baywater website but they only seemed to have 2 cars.
Surely they have more choice than that?
Old Mar 15th 2004, 5:42 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I can't remember, sorry!

It was 2000, we were with the 2 of us, a Toyota Corolla (amazing I remember that). And we hired it in Fremantle.

Wierd, just 2!!
Old Mar 15th 2004, 5:49 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Mm, ok, seen it now...
You'll need something bigger than those I guess.
Anything in here:
http://www.citycar.com.au/price.html

Wow, big difference in prices with bigger cars!!! I'd consider squeezing in a small one, but I'm a cheap skate (sp?) and don't even have my own kids yet!

Good luck and have fun in Perth!
Old Mar 15th 2004, 10:24 pm
owieb

Thx Simone,
That's why Bayswater are the cheapest in Perth, they only do the two models. Great if you just want a normal car; I've used them several times and they can't be beaten on price. Though not so good if you want anything bigger.

My wife's parents hired an MPV when they came over, I think it ended up costing them $900 for about 9 days! :scared:

Old Mar 15th 2004, 10:51 pm
ABCDiamond

Thx Simone,
Maybe only 2 models, but probably hundreds of actual cars

The also have a depot in Sydney, I hired one there for 2 weeks, and drove to QLD. I can recommend them. Good cars and good prices.

http://www.bayswatercarrental.com.au

Old Mar 17th 2004, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Pompey

From my experience it is cheaper to hire from small companies when you arrive. The biggest variable on renting a car is unlimited milage/limited milage. Work out how many miles (km's)you intend to do then double it, that should be what you actually drive.

When are you coming over? I'll look some prices up.

Keel
Old Mar 17th 2004, 1:33 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

We are getting a wagon from http://www.rentacar-australia.com dont really know if it's good price or not I got fed up with looking on the web and their reservation form was so simple.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Hi

We used perth rent a car and they were by very reasonable. We hired a Holden Commodore sedan (3 adults & 2 kids & alot of luggage) for 14 days & it was A$998 (incl the airport pick up & drop off whcih was extra). They were very good & have a website - so you can look at the cars. They have an office in Adelaide Terrace in the middle of Perth. Friendly & great service.

Give them a look

Cheers

Pockygoes
Old Mar 17th 2004, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

there is a place at the bottom of guildford road, mount lawley.( I will bring the map book round over the next couple of days, sorry about delay, car in garage failed MOT )

we hired a car from them worked out about £35 a week (I think)
Old Mar 17th 2004, 3:49 pm
Banned

Originally posted by keel
Hello Pompey

From my experience it is cheaper to hire from small companies when you arrive. The biggest variable on renting a car is unlimited milage/limited milage. Work out how many miles (km's)you intend to do then double it, that should be what you actually drive.

When are you coming over? I'll look some prices up.

Keel
Hi Keel,
we'll be in Perth early next week.
Staying in Edgewater. We were thinking that we could get a bus into Perth and rent a car from there.
Is this a good option? We have no idea of the distances involved or public transport etc.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

donsp10 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I rent cars (4 years in oz, 2 years currently U.K.) and if you have time try a few places, most rental places will match or better a quote to get the booking if you have time to ring around when you get there. Much easier for them to drop a rate when you call up than change a rate thats already pre-booked through the internet.
If you get a good customer service based company they will usually drop the rate $10 - $20 per day to get the car on the road.
Hope it helps
Donna
Old Mar 17th 2004, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

The Thorpes is on a distinguished road

Hi Pompeywill

We've just booked a car for Easter from www.airportrentacar.com.au for the second time. This came to AUD 672.55 (including about A$30.00 for a car seat and about A$30.00 extra either way for airport pick-up and drop-off). The company this is through is Burswood Car Rental, which was more expensive when we tried to book direct through them. This is for a medium size car (there are 5 of us!).

Sam
Old Mar 17th 2004, 6:37 pm
Banned

Originally posted by donsp10
Hi, I rent cars (4 years in oz, 2 years currently U.K.) and if you have time try a few places, most rental places will match or better a quote to get the booking if you have time to ring around when you get there. Much easier for them to drop a rate when you call up than change a rate thats already pre-booked through the internet.
If you get a good customer service based company they will usually drop the rate $10 - $20 per day to get the car on the road.
Hope it helps
Donna
Ahhh... a good old fashioned haggle,
thats right up my street!