Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth Capital Of Cool, Must Visit City

Perth Capital Of Cool, Must Visit City

Old Jan 25th 2018, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth Capital Of Cool, Must Visit City

I note that the Perth Fringe Festival is on initial appearance lacking in foreign acts this year. Why is it no longer called the Perth International Festival? I can only think it due to economic, cost cutting reasons.

No free headline performance this year either to kick things off......
Old Jan 25th 2018, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Perth fireworks tomorrow night are confirmed to be half an hour in duration.

This is due to the cancelation of last years 2017 event, due to the plane crash into the Swan River on the day.

It will be one off, so expect next year to be half as long, as a return to normal.

Hence, cancelled plans to attend the Bunbury event and will stay in Perth.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 4:04 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
What mess? The Sydney CBD is fine. Its probably the best CBD in the country offering the most with its myriad of tunnels, back alley's...
Myriad of tunnels? Are we comparing which city is best when aliens attack?

I'll take the downtown area of Brisbane over Sydney any day. And Sydney central cannot even compare with fantastic places like South Bank.

It's all about the Opera House and Bridge over there, which is why I always mention Sydney as being a good destination for dumping a few thousand cruise passengers off for several hours so that they can take their photos and move on.

IMO it's just too touristy and focused on short-stay visitors rather than the city's own inhabitants.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I like to go home to Perth for holidays. I love the way the city and Freo have done up all the old buildings. I love the clarity of the sea. I love going to a pub in the hills and always running into an old friend.

But the weather's extreme, it's not very vibey and the urban sprawl continues to grow. I really notice the homeless people in the city and the greater divide between the wealthy and not so well off.

Perth for visits, Brisbane for living for me.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 10:46 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
I like to go home to Perth for holidays. I love the way the city and Freo have done up all the old buildings. I love the clarity of the sea. I love going to a pub in the hills and always running into an old friend.

But the weather's extreme, it's not very vibey and the urban sprawl continues to grow. I really notice the homeless people in the city and the greater divide between the wealthy and not so well off.

Perth for visits, Brisbane for living for me.
In the years I've been working in the city I've noticed the increase in homeless people in the CBD. Walking from the station up Murray St in the morning I'm struck by how really dire it looks - and smells! The vomit and smell of urine on the footpaths is just gross. The city is doing up the mall, so it's all torn up right now and that doesn't help that part of Murray, but from Barrack St east to the cathedral is horrible. Plaza Arcade has been pretty much torn down and is being rebuilt.

Honestly, I like where I live 50 km north of the city. I don't mind working in East Perth but there are other places I would rather live in. In the end, though it's just a city and I really don't know what the "cool" is meant to be.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Myriad of tunnels? Are we comparing which city is best when aliens attack?

I'll take the downtown area of Brisbane over Sydney any day. And Sydney central cannot even compare with fantastic places like South Bank.

It's all about the Opera House and Bridge over there, which is why I always mention Sydney as being a good destination for dumping a few thousand cruise passengers off for several hours so that they can take their photos and move on.

IMO it's just too touristy and focused on short-stay visitors rather than the city's own inhabitants.
Why do you keep proving your lack of knowledge of Sydney? Its amateur hour when you comment on this topic, especially when you throw Brisbane into the mix. Everyone knows Brisbane is bottom.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes the homeless population has really increased within Perth. At onetime it appeared to be predominately older men, with or later developed alcohol problems. There I'm going back a considerably long time of course.

More recent years mostly younger and far more diverse. The city has developed a increasingly tatty, down at heel feel, with increasingly marginalised persons clearly more in evidence than a dozen years back.

Resemblance increasingly of cities like Seattle and Vancouver. Sad for those of us that recall a different Australia but hardly unexpected when looking for reasons, which I won't go into here, but evident enough to any half thinking individual.

Eating out by and large, continues to let down Perth's perception of being 'cool'. We went to a middling place yesterday for lunch, and while ok, nothing we couldn't have done equally at home, and went away feeling less than satisfied with the experience, considering the overall picture, including price.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 10:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Possibly the silliest comment so far this year. However personal opinions are not facts, they're just opinions.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 11:02 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you keep proving your lack of knowledge of Sydney? Its amateur hour when you comment on this topic, especially when you throw Brisbane into the mix. Everyone knows Brisbane is bottom.
I've actually lived in Sydney probably before you even stepped foot there for the first time. And you're clerarly cluthing to straws when you try to convince people that Sydney is the best... because of the myriad of underground tunnels.

Cronulla is OK. The commute sucks though which means that the ability to enjoy the beach before and after work is heavily compromised.
No it actually doesn't, which just shows your knowledge of Sydney is quite limited.

There's a very good - and direct - rail link starting in Cronulla (so everyone gets a seat). Gets you there in under an hour. In fact I believe it might well be the only seaside suburb with a direct rail link to the city, so you clearly haven't done your homework.

Or you can take the car during the day, 30 minute drive, maybe 35 to get to that car park by the Opera House.

You know what they say about Shire people. Once they cross the Captain Cook bridge on a Friday, they never leave til Monday. That's what a horrible commute does to the Hobbits.
Once again you've completely lost the plot. When you live in Cronulla you DON'T WANT (or need) to head out until Monday.

In fact it works the other way, people flock TO Cronulla on weekends.

Nice stadium though.
Actually I haven't seen the stadium in Brisbane, but if you told me that Sydney has better stadiums than Brisbane then that's one aspect that I would find believable.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well since Australia Day what has happened to the weather? Rather windy and far cooler than normal for time of year.

A bit odd, considering the furnace like weather more the norm for time of year.