Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth Capital Of Cool, Must Visit City

Perth Capital Of Cool, Must Visit City

Old Jan 9th 2018, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth Capital Of Cool, Must Visit City

Originally Posted by AJCS
Having lived for several years in Melbourne, I could say the same about Point Cook! I see thats where you live. Just a massive housing estate really :-)
Yeah, it's boring as hell, but provides a reasonable and affordable family environment. Where 95% of your life is work, school, kids activities punctuated with the odd holiday. Which is also 95% of Australian suburbia.

Which is entirely fine for daily living, but as I said, coming from a major world city for a visit or holiday will be disappointing.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 11:38 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Perth has been declared The Capital Of Cool.
Not a huge fan of these sorts of "rankings" or "awards" as I can't recall the last time I even remotely agreed with them. Like Denmark being one of the best places in the world to live in... Heck, I couldn't wait to get back to the airport after just a short stay!

On the upside that was quantified in some way, from wages to life expectation to education, etc., but how do you go about labelling some place as the "capital of cool?"

Originally Posted by sr71
Imagine coming from London, one of the world's premier cities and arriving in Perth. It would be somewhat depressing I'd imagine, unless you like the beach.
I think it would be hard to be depressed upon leaving London unless you were to disembark somewhere even more rainy and cold, and I certainly wouldn't label London as one of the world's premier cities in this day and age. Cold, wet, awful traffic, overcrowded, worst air quality in Western Europe, mediocre housing standards, etc. Plus some bad crime, now all this crazy acid stuff on the rise. It might look nice when actors fly in for the launch of some new blockbuster film, but these guys bolt out of there as quickly as they fly in once the event is over.

London isn't a lifestyle choice as a premier city of the world would be, it's a place where ants bustle around to make a living (some fortunate to work in a few select industries that pay well, other not so lucky). Those who've made their money and no longer need to work usually head for greener pastures.

Our Perth market strengths probably lay with closeness to South East Asia. it is very handy for those from Singapore and Malaysia and Indonesia and perhaps later India to nip over for a week for a taste of western culture ....
That is very true. Perth is very popular with people from the region due to the sheer size of the Australian continent and Perth being the sole big city on the West coast. Heck, it's even in the same time zone as Singapore!

Tapping into that potential would be key to bringing Perth into the limelight to the same extent that Sydney and Melbourne have become major international destinations.

I'm just wondering how the non-stop flight from London will work out and whether that will change anything, such as starting a chain reaction by linking more big European cities with Perth perhaps?
Old Jan 9th 2018, 11:52 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed not. I don't mind robust at all. Others appear to take offense at times though.

Well Zulu needs to be corralled at times for his own safe keeping and convoluted thoughts which could who knows lead anywhere.
I'm just a little concerned for his wellbeing at times, but do ,my bit to help the fellow out. Good lad though. Seems to take it upon himself to help me out with my English language deficiency. Normally would cost a substantial amount to correct my mistakes. Darn unselfish all rounder is our Zulu..

One question who of sane mind would wish to be on the Wirral at this time of year? I suppose having Crosby Beach likely to yourselves and the odd dog walker is one mitigating factor.

But think I'll stay with North Fremantle/Port Beach with the odd Cottesloe outing. Try and go most days and it seems to pay off. Although not quite the same invigorating affect I admit.

I recall you have lived in Perth hence know the terrain. It is always here when tire of playing The Scouse......
I'll never pass as Scouse, can't get the accent right Yes, born in Victoria Park and never moved far, until now. Cottesloe beach holds fond memories of my teenage years and of course Freo has a place in most Perthies' hearts.

I love the weather here, whereas the scouse husband, who used to complain about the Perth heat, now gets all misty eyed about the sun. Contrary bugger.

We'll probably return to WA some time in the future but not yet. We've back heeled Crosby, a bit too suburban for us. Going to look at these two flats tomorrow, although the first is more than we wanted to pay and that's without the £4,000 yearly service charge

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/de...GI59EsIUykY.97

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/de...PROb2ZH5O9Q.97
Old Jan 10th 2018, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it's boring as hell, but provides a reasonable and affordable family environment. Where 95% of your life is work, school, kids activities punctuated with the odd holiday. Which is also 95% of Australian suburbia.

Which is entirely fine for daily living, but as I said, coming from a major world city for a visit or holiday will be disappointing.
Assuming kids and work timetabled, its not so much your backdrop, it's the distractions on offer and people, and access. So an inner city fringe has more things happening in restaurants and cafes, societies, blah blah. Suburbs are suburbs but you might find demographically that some burbs have higher education standards, and more cohesion...etc..

In semi-rural you might find natural beauty etc...and space...we dont use an entire acre but it affords a buffer..and a view..and a connection..apart from bricks and colorbond..

In some ways, suburbs are a halfway house and many are dormitory in nature.

In the UK, the pub can provide a distraction.
London just happens to be big. But of course, it's also a collection of towns and villages too.
Parts of it are even quite sleepy if you squint.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jan 10th 2018 at 3:09 am.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'll never pass as Scouse, can't get the accent right Yes, born in Victoria Park and never moved far, until now. Cottesloe beach holds fond memories of my teenage years and of course Freo has a place in most Perthies' hearts.

I love the weather here, whereas the scouse husband, who used to complain about the Perth heat, now gets all misty eyed about the sun. Contrary bugger.

We'll probably return to WA some time in the future but not yet. We've back heeled Crosby, a bit too suburban for us. Going to look at these two flats tomorrow, although the first is more than we wanted to pay and that's without the £4,000 yearly service charge

Nice flats, what happens if you have noisy neighbours though ?

BTW, watch out for that 2nd one. In the picture looking at down the Path to the front gate, looks like Pikies have moved in across the road

Really like that first flat though.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I think many would agree Perth is first and foremost a family city. That is where its strength largely lays.

I don't think it good value to come as a tourist long haul, unless combining it with other activities. Those I would name would be touring The South and/or a trip to The Kimberly Region and closer to Perth Ningaloo Reef.

Perth as already mentioned great for a short experience for those from nearby neighbouring countries.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry perhaps an Aussie accent sounds exotic in those parts? Unless they mistake you for being Manchester of course. A bit like the hanging of the monkey thinking he was a Frenchman, by those ever endearing Hartlepool folk......

North Fremantle very blowy this morning but water warm. Sand a bit of a pain....looks like first easterly of the season.
New caf there does a roaring business. New apartments well under construction across the road as well. I think from memory prices start at around $420,000 ...but I'll double check that. Only a one bedroom of course, and likely sans ocean view.

I haven't checked out Victoria Park for awhile but once went through there most days. A particularly nice Italian restaurant was a favourite at one time.......Looked to buy a house there as well. Quite a few drug issues in the area......but some great streets.

It would have to be a pretty special reason though to prise us out of Leederville. Few areas in Perth compare IMO. Everything on doorstep but still quiet considering density levels and closeness to City.

What did you settle for in the end? I always check out an area at night. Day observations can be so misleading.
The important thing outside of cost, of course, is that you feel safe and secure. Both at home as well as on a street level.

One thing I noticed during a prolonged stay in England, a few years back, was the greater potential for violence than remembered.
Just the speaking of a foreign language was enough to incite an unfriendly reaction.

But saying that adore England. Love the peculiarities of the English mind, the general ease to talk with people (more so than Australia IMO) the sea side, rambles to die for. Still like English pubs, The Norfolk Broads, Cornwall and its gothic type charm ..For the most part enjoyed very much living there. The aggressiveness being the down side, but not totally devoid when I lived there either.....
Old Jan 10th 2018, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by astera
Not a huge fan of these sorts of "rankings" or "awards" as I can't recall the last time I even remotely agreed with them. Like Denmark being one of the best places in the world to live in... Heck, I couldn't wait to get back to the airport after just a short stay!

On the upside that was quantified in some way, from wages to life expectation to education, etc., but how do you go about labelling some place as the "capital of cool?"

I think it would be hard to be depressed upon leaving London unless you were to disembark somewhere even more rainy and cold, and I certainly wouldn't label London as one of the world's premier cities in this day and age. Cold, wet, awful traffic, overcrowded, worst air quality in Western Europe, mediocre housing standards, etc. Plus some bad crime, now all this crazy acid stuff on the rise. It might look nice when actors fly in for the launch of some new blockbuster film, but these guys bolt out of there as quickly as they fly in once the event is over.

London isn't a lifestyle choice as a premier city of the world would be, it's a place where ants bustle around to make a living (some fortunate to work in a few select industries that pay well, other not so lucky). Those who've made their money and no longer need to work usually head for greener pastures.

That is very true. Perth is very popular with people from the region due to the sheer size of the Australian continent and Perth being the sole big city on the West coast. Heck, it's even in the same time zone as Singapore!

Tapping into that potential would be key to bringing Perth into the limelight to the same extent that Sydney and Melbourne have become major international destinations.

I'm just wondering how the non-stop flight from London will work out and whether that will change anything, such as starting a chain reaction by linking more big European cities with Perth perhaps?

Me neither. Personally take them as a bit of light humour without real intent. Cool I would hazard a guess, is purely a media creation.
Quite possibly a bit of palm greasing on the side as well in the form of advertising becoming 'faux news'.

I suspect London incoming passengers would change to domestic flights once arriving in Perth.
The hope being that a sufficient number would be enticed to pass a couple of days in Perth, prior to continuing their East Coast original destination.

It wouldn't take too great a number, I suppose, to pay off.

I still think the future for Perth in tourism, and quite probably most other things will be the neighbourhood. Massive potential with growing Middle Class in Indonesia alone. Plenty of Malay folk from Indonesia and Malaysia already in evidence in Perth/Fremantle.

Another market just across 'our ditch' is of course South Africa. If they drop the ridiculous fare that would be quite a potential market for South Africans of all hues.

A shame Denmark didn't meet with your approval. Perhaps a longer time would have revealed more of the delights that country has to offer.
I suspect to fully 'get it' though one needs to be Danish or there a long time. Beats Sweden though surely? Apart from Swedish language being easier on the English tongue than Danish.

Last edited by the troubadour; Jan 10th 2018 at 5:58 am.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Me neither. Personally take them as a bit of light humour without real intent. Cool I would hazard a guess, is purely a media creation.
Quite possibly a bit of palm greasing on the side as well in the form of advertising becoming 'faux news'.

I suspect London incoming passengers would change to domestic flights once arriving in Perth.
The hope being that a sufficient number would be enticed to pass a couple of days in Perth, prior to continuing their East Coast original destination.

It wouldn't take too great a number, I suppose, to pay off.

I still think the future for Perth in tourism, and quite probably most other things will be the neighbourhood. Massive potential with growing Middle Class in Indonesia alone. Plenty of Malay folk from Indonesia and Malaysia already in evidence in Perth/Fremantle.

Another market just across 'our ditch' is of course South Africa. If they drop the ridiculous fare that would be quite a potential market for South Africans of all hues.

A shame Denmark didn't meet with your approval. Perhaps a longer time would have revealed more of the delights that country has to offer.
I suspect to fully 'get it' though one needs to be Danish or there a long time. Beats Sweden though surely? Apart from Swedish language being easier on the English tongue than Danish.
Funny how us Anglos see Scandy as being full of pretty lithe blonds (etc) yet we learn much later on that its full of suicidal people who can't afford a drink paying too much tax...

In much the same way people used to think Aussies were all lithe surfers...(etc)

And Brits all sound like Hugh Grant when in fact, barely 5pc probably do...as they all sound like Jamie Oliver..(in the SE in any case..)
Old Jan 10th 2018, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Funny how us Anglos see Scandy as being full of pretty lithe blonds (etc) yet we learn much later on that its full of suicidal people who can't afford a drink paying too much tax...

In much the same way people used to think Aussies were all lithe surfers...(etc)

And Brits all sound like Hugh Grant when in fact, barely 5pc probably do...as they all sound like Jamie Oliver..(in the SE in any case..)

Well I cannot talk about the other 'Nordics" but know Denmark rather well and yes we paid a high 'skat' tax, but most didn't begrudge it. We lived better than the English in general. Had a truly good health service a very high payment if became unemployed, but yes as in Australia suicide was an issue. Although Hungry from memory was highest.
Beer was no problem. We drank everywhere. Even at work but never drunk. At nightclubs you pay a lot but top up before entry and smuggle some under heavy coats in winter.
Danes can be a 'bit punchy'', perhaps not a real term, but easy to get into bother in a drinking environment. Not to dissimilar from England in certain respects.
Danes rather like English and they were pretty much assured a 'goodtime' if men.
Blondes... well I've been in many a nightclub where the entire 'conveyor belt' of women was tanned skin, white in dress and blond hair, Reason enough on its own to leave.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I am with you on climate, last few trips to UK, weather just feels so comfortable. Extreme temps probably total a couple of weeks a year max in UK.

How is the property market going right now? Supposed to have cooled?

My recent trips to UK have sadly been for elderly relatives and the last thing I had time for was property prices.

I still prefer a house to a flat, mainly due to the extra charges and the interesting complications of Body Corporate type set ups.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well I cannot talk about the other 'Nordics" but know Denmark rather well and yes we paid a high 'skat' tax, but most didn't begrudge it. We lived better than the English in general. Had a truly good health service a very high payment if became unemployed, but yes as in Australia suicide was an issue. Although Hungry from memory was highest.
Beer was no problem. We drank everywhere. Even at work but never drunk. At nightclubs you pay a lot but top up before entry and smuggle some under heavy coats in winter.
Danes can be a 'bit punchy'', perhaps not a real term, but easy to get into bother in a drinking environment. Not to dissimilar from England in certain respects.
Danes rather like English and they were pretty much assured a 'goodtime' if men.
Blondes... well I've been in many a nightclub where the entire 'conveyor belt' of women was tanned skin, white in dress and blond hair, Reason enough on its own to leave.
Good stories. I know about this 'skat' stuff, being acquainted with the region....
I once went to Copenhagen for the weekend - I forget whether - by ferry or plane - and my mate pulled in a bar - in broad daylight -so quickly, myself and an oppo had to sit outside a hotel room (I forget where, wasn't our hotel) whilst he was being ahem 'serviced'. We had barely time to draw breath - I know he was though - judging by the sounds emanating from the room. Forget all the circumstances and details now....
Old Jan 10th 2018, 12:07 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Liverpool is a top city

I liked it a lot - definitely one of the most friendly places I've ever visited
Old Jan 10th 2018, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Good stories. I know about this 'skat' stuff, being acquainted with the region....
I once went to Copenhagen for the weekend - I forget whether - by ferry or plane - and my mate pulled in a bar - in broad daylight -so quickly, myself and an oppo had to sit outside a hotel room (I forget where, wasn't our hotel) whilst he was being ahem 'serviced'. We had barely time to draw breath - I know he was though - judging by the sounds emanating from the room. Forget all the circumstances and details now....
You sure you didn't disembark in Amsterdam? Sounds like a street I once had a gaff in right in the centre among the open/closed curtains premises.

The English lads would come over and frequent such facilities of ill repute in rather hefty numbers. Often his mates would be outside the window ribbing their mate being serviced inside.
Some of the comments were highly amusing, as only the English could probably muster. But it was related very much to the 'seconds' and calling his bluff, if that makes sense.

Mortals from other less lands, may well have been put of their stroke by such bantering, but didn't seem to bother Johnny Bull. I suspect the women rather liked them. So quick to finish.

I feel we are drifting away, from Perth's 'new' sense of found coolness though, a city that certainly in no way reflects the above. We are far more 'restrained' in our coolness in Perth. Bed at nine may have a small part to play. But I was daring and out and about in Leederville last night, and I had to blink twice. There were folks out and about after ten o'clock at night. Move over New York......
Old Jan 13th 2018, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

What's with the Coles West Leederville opening hours? Shuts at 5pm on a Saturday and doesn't open until 11am on Sunday morning. This seems standard for Perth.

Bit backwards isn't it? Is this standard?

My local Coles (all 3 of them) is open from 7am-midnight 7 days a week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.