Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

perth but where?

perth but where?

Old Nov 12th 2006, 1:27 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: perth but where?

Originally Posted by elmtree
I can identify with that. We stayed in Quinns Rocks earlier this year. It was lovely and quiet and respectable. BUT at night we could hear the hoons tearing up Marmion Avenue and making their lovely circular tyre-marks in the road not far away.

I suppose any place a car can go is where you'll find them. Better than having to contend with hoodie gangs and drug dealers, I would imagine.

Clarkson is one of the areas we are interested in. We saw some lovely areas there earlier this year and it's close to the ocean. Just need to check out the schools.
This is the one main prob we had with our 7yr old , at clarkson primary , moved him to quinns rocks primary and its miles better .
Old Nov 12th 2006, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthforme
This is the one main prob we had with our 7yr old , at clarkson primary , moved him to quinns rocks primary and its miles better .
What was wrong with Clarkson ? Rough ? Bad teachers ?

Do Aus have catchment areas ? Or can your children go to the school of your choice ? ( we also have a 7 yr old )
Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:54 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by aston man
if you were to pick a place in perth around $400-450k.

where would you pick,we are a family of 4 so a 3 bed would do..

sorry if ive spelt this wrong buts what's armedale like.

we would want to be within an hours drive of perth central

thanks for your time ,

aston
Definitely not Armadale!!! I had a friend who taught high school there and said it was an absolute nightmare... very rough.

Secret Harbour in the South is near the coast and less that one hour drive from the CBD, the houses are new too. Northern suburbs close to beach you can get something decent in Duncraig (North), Greenwood, Padbury, or Kingsley. Quinns Rock is beachside with many other British migrants but is much further out than the other suburbs mentioned. Padbury has some run down houses that you could do up if you were so inclined. If you like space, and less of suburbia Ellenbrook is nice though not near the beach. Close to the city is Lockeridge, I think that is a good area investment wise as it is almost inner city but does not have a fantastic reputation in terms of schools etc, but the blocks of land are a decent size.

You will probrably need to spend the full 450K Good luck!
Old Nov 12th 2006, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

Hi there we were out in Perth in march for a rekkie and we loved Mandurah and Rockingham. We fell hook, line and sinker for an estate more or less in Rockingham - well Baldivis to be exact called Settlers Hills or Rivergums (just next door). Had we still been going to Perth that is where we would have headed (now going to Adelaide). Just had a look on realestate.com.au and it is still possible to buy both brand new or established homes within that price range. Check it out the estate is pretty new and has some great facilities.

Good Luck

Lindsey
Old Nov 12th 2006, 6:48 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nurselindsey
Hi there we were out in Perth in march for a rekkie and we loved Mandurah and Rockingham. We fell hook, line and sinker for an estate more or less in Rockingham - well Baldivis to be exact called Settlers Hills or Rivergums (just next door). Had we still been going to Perth that is where we would have headed (now going to Adelaide). Just had a look on realestate.com.au and it is still possible to buy both brand new or established homes within that price range. Check it out the estate is pretty new and has some great facilities.

Good Luck

Lindsey
we are stanying 60 yards from rockingham beach in jan,. for a whole month.ive got an idea we might like it there.i shall try those places you sujested,,

thank you.
a
Old Nov 12th 2006, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

we are stanying 60 yards from rockingham beach in jan,. for a whole month.ive got an idea we might like it there.i shall try those places you sujested,,

thank you.
a
Settlers Hills is just beautiful - near bush but within driving distance to the ocean - 10 minutes Has both public and private schooling, shops and many lakes. Rockingham has everything you would need shopping wise and there is quite a big expat community. Do you post on www.emi-great.com The guys who post on there are really friendly and we met quite a few of them when we were out there. Introduce yourselves then you will know someone!

Enjoy yourselves

Lindsey
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:23 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nurselindsey
Settlers Hills is just beautiful - near bush but within driving distance to the ocean - 10 minutes Has both public and private schooling, shops and many lakes. Rockingham has everything you would need shopping wise and there is quite a big expat community. Do you post on www.emi-great.com The guys who post on there are really friendly and we met quite a few of them when we were out there. Introduce yourselves then you will know someone!

Enjoy yourselves

Lindsey
thank you,

A
Old Nov 13th 2006, 12:24 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

What was wrong with Clarkson ? Rough ? Bad teachers ?

Do Aus have catchment areas ? Or can your children go to the school of your choice ? ( we also have a 7 yr old )
Run very poorly , our wee one had a crap teacher , next to nothing done re bullies !

Within a week at a new school we could see a change for the better in our lad.

Yes catchment areas, but sometimes one out of the area will take from out of their area . Or if you can afford it there always private . Sorry no idea on costs of that .
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:44 am
col 101

colincoburn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cakeychef
hi all,
my family & i fly out a week on friday (24th), going to perth area and also a brummie. grew up in south yardley.

i'm looking at far south like mandurah (if i can still afford it) or maybe joondalup, any one know what joondalup is like, or maybe mindaria keys!

simon aston
Hi Simon,

Mandurah is nice and still booming as far as house prices go but we bought in joondalup 2 years ago and love it here. Our eldest boy of 9yrs goes to joondalup primary school which we find to be a great family focused school with great values. Perth city is about half an hour (traffic depending!!!!) but this may be shortened a little when the freeway is extended to burns beach road (2008ish). Shopping is great and on doorstep. Big extension started on lakeside shopping centre so will have even more choice. Hospital, libruary and banks nearby. Burns Beach just five minutes drive. The Arena offers great leisure facilities. joondalup CBD has some good eateries and pubs for nightlife.
Mindarie is also a nice place to live but we felt it was a little far out for us. Joondalup was as far from the city we wanted to go.

Where ever you end up you cant go wrong. Good Luck!!

Colin
Old Nov 15th 2006, 4:34 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

if you were to pick a place in perth around $400-450k.

where would you pick,we are a family of 4 so a 3 bed would do..

sorry if ive spelt this wrong buts what's armedale like.

we would want to be within an hours drive of perth central

thanks for your time ,

aston
North of the city close (but not too close to the mitchell freeway, but as far south on it as you can afford. Somewhere around Greenwood, Duncraig, Hamersley etc would be the sort of area id look, close to everything worth being close to, and you can still pick up a 3bed in your price range, often on a relativley large block with the scope to renovate and expand if deisred.
For the money these sort of suburbs are still pretty good value (given the current market here)
Steve
Old Nov 15th 2006, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

Jayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant future

Once you get here you will decide if you are a SOR family or NOR family. Rockingham and Mandurah are lovely but just to far away for me but then thats only my opinion.

Mindaire is beautiful but quite far north if you want to be reasonably close to city. HIllary's and J'lup are lovely I would recommend you look there.

We are renting in Dianella which is actually a really nice place to base down for the first year until you find your feet and find an area you want to buy in. We are 15 minutes from a beach and 15 minutes from city, its a pretty central place to allow you to look up north and look down south.

Just a thought

I can identify with that. We stayed in Quinns Rocks earlier this year. It was lovely and quiet and respectable. BUT at night we could hear the hoons tearing up Marmion Avenue and making their lovely circular tyre-marks in the road not far away.

I suppose any place a car can go is where you'll find them. Better than having to contend with hoodie gangs and drug dealers, I would imagine.

Clarkson is one of the areas we are interested in. We saw some lovely areas there earlier this year and it's close to the ocean. Just need to check out the schools.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 5:29 am
Just Joined

mari is an unknown quantity at this point

and what areas should you avoid
I live NOR in Mindarie and I love it!!!! Close to the beach,shops and the city..

Old Dec 8th 2006, 6:41 am
Banned

well the time is nearly here for us to start looking at these areas,i must admit i still dont have the slightest idea where we will end up...

ellenbrooke,rockingham..just no idea

well i am sure we will find somewhere nice..jeez its frightning,,i shall try and do an area or two every day

if anyone has any more tips i would be greatfull

with thanks

Aston
Old Dec 8th 2006, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
North of the city close (but not too close to the mitchell freeway, but as far south on it as you can afford. Somewhere around Greenwood, Duncraig, Hamersley etc would be the sort of area id look, close to everything worth being close to, and you can still pick up a 3bed in your price range, often on a relativley large block with the scope to renovate and expand if deisred.
For the money these sort of suburbs are still pretty good value (given the current market here)
Steve
I'd second this advice.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 9:29 pm
Superhero

The Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really nice

Originally Posted by ohippy
Armadale has not got a good reputation. Apparently, you need to arm your kids to send them to high school.
Sounds just like it's Scottish namesake, then!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.