Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth, Brisbane and Melbourne? Not too many Sydneysiders.

Perth, Brisbane and Melbourne? Not too many Sydneysiders.

Old Aug 28th 2006, 9:30 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Perth, Brisbane and Melbourne? Not too many Sydneysiders.

Guys this is just something i have noticed. I am not a big poster on here. But from what i have read. There seems that the majority of people who are moving to Oz the near future have chosen Perth, Melbourne or Brisbane. There seems to be less people who are moving to Sydney. Maybe i am wrong or have missed a lot of threads. I have spent time/lived for a few months at a time in Perth(Scarborough) and Melbourne( Brighton). I lived in Sydney(Bondi) for 6 months. By far i enjoyed Sydney the most. But at the same time i enjoyed my time in Perth And Melbourne. Personally i loved Sydney more that the rest. So my question is. Why? Is it because Sydney is more expensive? Family in the other places? Or what? Just curious. This is not an attack at any of the cities mentioned. But i am just curious. BTW i i have only spend 3 days in Brisbane. So i am not qualified to talk too much about it.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Perth, Brisbane and Melbourne? Not too many Sydneysiders.

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Guys this is just something i have noticed. I am not a big poster on here. But from what i have read. There seems that the majority of people who are moving to Oz the near future have chosen Perth, Melbourne or Brisbane. There seems to be less people who are moving to Sydney. Maybe i am wrong or have missed a lot of threads. I have spent time/lived for a few months at a time in Perth(Scarborough) and Melbourne( Brighton). I lived in Sydney(Bondi) for 6 months. By far i enjoyed Sydney the most. But at the same time i enjoyed my time in Perth And Melbourne. Personally i loved Sydney more that the rest. So my question is. Why? Is it because Sydney is more expensive? Family in the other places? Or what? Just curious. This is not an attack at any of the cities mentioned. But i am just curious. BTW i i have only spend 3 days in Brisbane. So i am not qualified to talk too much about it.
Personal view - last time I was in Sydney I could not wait to leave - it has got too big and very crowded. If you can aford to live on the harbour or on the beach great but otherwise---.

I love Brisbane - sorry but you did ask.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:17 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Personally have not been to Perth or Adelaide yet but intend to for a holiday. Used to go to Brisbane alot for holidays (parents thought it a good idea to buy an apartment there but then hate the heat). Got to admit if it wasnt for the schooling and work prospects (and the fact having arrived I love Melbourne to bits) I would put Brisbane down as my second choice of destination.

Sydney was never a contender. Again this is only a personal view but have never got on with anyone from Sydney - they have always been full of themselves and always talk down of other parts in Oz without having visited.

Suppose not many on here because they are all at work paying off their mortgages.

Understand there is also a big difference between NSW and Sydney so no offence to the rest of you. Lucky sod IPod living in the Blue Mountains
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:19 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suebrennan
Personal view - last time I was in Sydney I could not wait to leave - it has got too big and very crowded. If you can aford to live on the harbour or on the beach great but otherwise---.

I love Brisbane - sorry but you did ask.

No need to apologise. I was just curious.Too crowded you say? Guess i never noticed that since i lived in London for years.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:21 am
Freedom!

If you can aford to live on the harbour or on the beach great but otherwise

I can afford to live at the beach. But i am by far not rich.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:24 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

No need to apologise. I was just curious.Too crowded you say? Guess i never noticed that since i lived in London for years.

Sydney is a nice place to be on (extended) holiday but IMO horrible to live in. I lived and worked there for a year and found it to be a souless and incredibly boring place to be. We have since moved to Melbourne and find it much, much better.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:38 am
Freedom!

incredibly boring place to be.

Are you serious? Each to ther own and this is not a thread thats pits the big cities against each other. But i was just curious. Personally i love Sydney and thinks its a great city with loads going on. But thats just my opinion. Everyone is different. Try living in Auckland if you want boring.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:43 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Try living in Auckland if you want boring.
After 20 years dont make me go back please
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:54 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

This is more an averages asssumption that a sweeping generalisation but my guess is that people who come to Brisbane, Perth etc are more likely to do so with a completely open mind as to where to go and are more likely to choose these places for lifestyle choice reasons. People that go to the big cities (Sydney; and Melbourne to a lesser degree) often do so through a company link. Therefore they have jobs lined up and thus colleagues who will become friends. They are more likely to be younger and thus have less issues like schools to worry about. Shipping will be taken care of for them too and maybe even accommodation. So they have less need to waste copious hours on here Being larger places they will also have a better chance of knowing friends / family whose circle they can slip into. There will always be people who go to these places through an open choice but I think all of the above is why we get proportionately less people on here going to those places than Perth / Brisbane for the size of those cities.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Are you serious? Each to ther own and this is not a thread thats pits the big cities against each other. But i was just curious. Personally i love Sydney and thinks its a great city with loads going on. But thats just my opinion. Everyone is different. Try living in Auckland if you want boring.
I've lived in Sydney for over 25 years and boring it certainly isn't! It's a magic place and I've always loved it. There's always heaps going on and plenty of places to see. I've done a fair bit of exploring in the area over the years and still have places on my list that I've never been to.

More migrants move to Sydney than any other Australian city (just not migrants from the UK). I reckon that basically it boils down to money. Most people come to Australia for a bigger house than they can afford in the UK and the perceived beachy lifestyle. It's very hard to get your mortgage-free 'dream' house with pool here, within a short distance of a beach unless you come with a million dollars (and even then it's tricky) - whereas it's entirely possible in most of the other cities.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:24 am
Freedom!

Obviously its a personal choice. But i really like Sydney. It is expensive. But i make ok money. I can afford to live there and by the beach. I am not RICH! Also i am still young. I'm 32. No kids but have a wife.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:44 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

You asked why people choose to live in other major Australian cities. I answered you. No need to jump down my throat. IMO means in my opinion. I found Sydney boring after having lived in London and Istanbul, I found it to be souless and unfriendly.

If you are unprepared to hear different opinions about where you want to live then don't post the question.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:49 am
Freedom!

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
You asked why people choose to live in other major Australian cities. I answered you. No need to jump down my throat. IMO means in my opinion. I found Sydney boring after having lived in London and Istanbul, I found it to be souless and unfriendly.

If you are unprepared to hear different opinions about where you want to live then don't post the question.

Dont get on your high horse i was not having a go at you. If you read my reply again . You will see this. 2nd sentence.

Each to there own
Corrected my spelling mistake.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

We came over to Australia to have a look first: at Sydney, Bris, Melbourne & Canberra. Also seen Perth in the meantime.

We just loved the look and feel of Sydney - but also job opportunities and the possibility of living not too far from the beach and not too far from the bush, but still being able to eat out, go to the theatre or a show - were a big drawcard.

Sydney has the issues that most cities have - but I do love going in to the city - over the harbour bridge and seeing the Opera House and magnificent harbour, usually under a brilliant blue sky.

We've been here 3 years now and still love it.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 11:55 am
Freedom!

Not long now till we move there. Sydney in 6 weeks on Thursday. Nice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.