Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth to Brisbane..best way to travel??

Perth to Brisbane..best way to travel??

Old Nov 13th 2006, 2:15 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth to Brisbane..best way to travel??

We are heading from Perth to Brisbane next year to check out the place for a holiday come reccie!!!

What i want to know is the cheapest way to get there. We don't want to fly there as we want to experience more of OZ, see the outback and life that is beyond Perth on the way to Brissy.

We have been told by car it takes 3 days at least!!! by train a week!!
So how many of you have done this already???
Which route is the best way to get there?
And how much will it cost in general?

Any ideas anyone?
Old Nov 13th 2006, 2:20 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth to Brisbane..best way to travel??

Originally Posted by paulrachel
We are heading from Perth to Brisbane next year to check out the place for a holiday come reccie!!!

What i want to know is the cheapest way to get there. We don't want to fly there as we want to experience more of OZ, see the outback and life that is beyond Perth on the way to Brissy.

Any ideas anyone?
Perth to Brisbane is a little over 4000km. If you wanted to I would imagine going across the Nullaboor would be the best way to go and I would suspect, although have never done it, it would take a LOT longer than 3 days.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 2:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by northernbird
Perth to Brisbane is a little over 4000km. If you wanted to I would imagine going across the Nullaboor would be the best way to go and I would suspect, although have never done it, it would take a LOT longer than 3 days.
my thought exactly...3 days sounds too soon...i thought more of a week. Obviously we will be stopping over at hotels along the way. After watching Wolf-creek i definatley don't want to sleep in the car :scared:
Old Nov 13th 2006, 2:32 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

my thought exactly...3 days sounds too soon...i thought more of a week. Obviously we will be stopping over at hotels along the way. After watching Wolf-creek i definatley don't want to sleep in the car :scared:
Yeah you can poke that. Although I don't fancy the driving, my kids would have killed each other by the time they got out of Perth.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

4000km - work out how much petrol your car uses then you'll know how much to expect to pay for fuel. (also there is the hidden cost of wear and tear on a car) - if you are driving back as well then double it.

+

Accommodation costs - try find out how much it will cost per night

Old Nov 13th 2006, 4:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas anyone?
If I was doing this trip, depending on time & money of course, I'd drive around the top of Australia via Broome, Darwin, Mt Isa etc.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 4:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby did Perth to Adelaide driving and was bored rigid. If it were me, I would fly to Melbourne and then hire a car and drive the rest of the way, then you don't have the boring beginning bit but get to take in Melbourne, Sydney, the mountains etc, and the kids are less likely to try and kill each other
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Hubby did Perth to Adelaide driving and was bored rigid. If it were me, I would fly to Melbourne and then hire a car and drive the rest of the way, then you don't have the boring beginning bit but get to take in Melbourne, Sydney, the mountains etc, and the kids are less likely to try and kill each other
yes this sounds more reasonable all round..avoiding the boring bit like you say and heading to Melbourne and drive up the East coast..great stuff!!!
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:16 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Its probably one of the safest places in the world to sleep in your car as there almost no people out there in the Nullaboor. The real danger in outback travel in car accidents not being murdered by some redneck hillbilly out of wolf creek.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Nov 13th 2006 at 6:19 am.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:33 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

We did it by train last year (on the sunlander I think). Starts in the morning gets there next evening.. Interesting microcosm of society. Didn't see as much coast as we hoped, but talked to lots of people...
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silver
We did it by train last year (on the sunlander I think). Starts in the morning gets there next evening.. Interesting microcosm of society. Didn't see as much coast as we hoped, but talked to lots of people...
Can I ask how much your fares were?
Old Nov 13th 2006, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

The flights to Melbourne will cost roughly the same as flying to Brisbane, so you might as well fly there, as by the time to paid for flights to Melbourne, hired a car, petrol and all stuff like that it will probably work out the same.

So your deffo off for a reccie there then? what about our travels to Monkey Mia LOL might come across with you and we can do the drive all together, at least the kids can be bored together

Kath
Old Nov 13th 2006, 8:34 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sunbather
Can I ask how much your fares were?
I can't remember it wasn't too bad as I remember, we had a first class cabin and when you counted the cost of the hotels otherwise it was ok. Oh and it was Brisbane to Cairns... Should have read the title..

I wouldn't be surprised if Perth Brisbane takes a week.. Personally I would only fly this, the train was interesting to cairns but we were ready to get off it after..

We found the train info of the internet