Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Brisbane???? Advice please...

Perth or Brisbane???? Advice please...

Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:06 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth or Brisbane???? Advice please...

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Some northern suburbs and the Rockingham-Mandurah area are well-known to have high numbers of British migrants. You're hard-pushed to hear anything other than British accents at some shopping centres. For your sanity, you might need to consider living in suburbs closer in, mingling with other nationalities as well. It's mainly Western Australians where we live, with only one other British family in our immediate area.
Yeah I have a few city suburbs to check out, subi and the areas around there I can't go to far north as I need to be close to the airport.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
It rains a lot in Brisbane, but doesn't get too hot or cold.
I think you might be judging it on this amazing year....usually it doesn't rain that many days (less than perth or any other capital) and it does get too hot sometimes!!
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kelli28
It gets cold in July and august, you just have to find ways of keeping warm
At night...I've still been sunburnt during the day in august!!
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I have a few city suburbs to check out, subi and the areas around there I can't go to far north as I need to be close to the airport.
Easy to get to Graham Farmer Freeway from Subiaco, West Leederville, Leederville, West Perth and North Perth. Let me know if you need more info.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
I think you might be judging it on this amazing year....usually it doesn't rain that many days (less than perth or any other capital) and it does get too hot sometimes!!
I sure hope so.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:35 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
At night...I've still been sunburnt during the day in august!!
Temperature doesn't affect whether you get sunburnt or not though. After New Year we had 20C days in Melbourne with UV13...it could've been 10C and still UV13.

Coldest max I ever experienced in Brisbane was 13C I think.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bcworld
Temperature doesn't affect whether you get sunburnt or not though. After New Year we had 20C days in Melbourne with UV13...it could've been 10C and still UV13.

Coldest max I ever experienced in Brisbane was 13C I think.
Yeah, as you know we have a 20c+ monthly average max even in winter so those 13c days don't come around too often...that's when you see the bad taste coats come out that have been lying in the back of the cupboard since 1987 with everyone looking in shock.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

bethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nice

hello!!
We have lived in brissy for 3 1/2 years, nothing not to like, its all good, but to be honest the only people that can really answer this are people who have lived for considerable time in both, and thats not many people, as i asked same question 4 years ago lol!!
We decided on brissy due to its location to other stuff ie gold coast, barrier reef, hervey bay etc etc and perths isolation which seemed to crop up alot in other peoples reason for not liking it.
In short, don't regret coming to brissy, love our life, wouldn't change a thing, kids happy, (7 and 5) parents happy !!
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh I feel qualified to answer this iv lived in brissy central Queensland and just moved to Perth, ok so I've only been in Perth a few days but I can give you my observations.
Perth traffic seems better than brissy although I guess there are still people on holiday at the mo. I prefer the Queensland style housing eg highsets it's just weird to sleep downstairs. Alchohol is a complete rip off here I had to ask in the bottle shop if they had the right price on the bottle of Malibu pre mix stuff that you add ice too, I was paying $12 in qld the same bottle was $24 here! Think I'll be doing my liver a favor for a while. The last and main difference is the amount of poms I feel like I'm in benidorm or something the amount of English here is astounding and so far there pissing me off, as an example today I was taken to some friends of my cousins my jaw must have hit the ground when I seen them all sunbathing in 40c the kids too, I was soo angry! I had a think about it and I've came to the conclusion that maybe it's because they are surrounded by other poms who have only spent a few years in the sun these people need to get out and meet some of the Australians that have lived here all thier lifes and take a look at how good they look for it!

Oh and I think it's frezzing in Perth haha although I'm possibly the only pom to think that.
I was just about to type that in the four years that I have lived in my suburb I have never met a pom.Then I remembered that my husband and two kids are poms.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by demi7
We are intending on going over to live in Queensland when we get our visa..if we are so lucky to get it granted but as it gets closer I am considering Perth..

Anyone got any advice or recommendations for Perth???
Just not Perth ..... trust me, been here a long time and it is BORING! It is also super expensive here, and did I mention boring?

People are generally ok, the Aussies are kind of arrogant and I have had plenty of abuse for being a 'Pom'! Luckily there are loads of Brits here to back me up

We're moving soon .... as far away as possible.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't recommend Perth to anyone under the age of 70!

Good luck in your decision!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:59 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree, Perth is VERY isolated and boring, its so backwards, if you like living in the 70's, and have lots of money u will love Perth.

And its VERY hot and dry - too hot!!! and yes its FULL of POMS, we lived in Melbourne for a year and half and hardly ever met another POM, here you can hear northern pom accents booming and shouting at their kids, it makes me cringe and I wonder if I sound like that lol!

Unfortunately I am stuck here for now so I am trying to make the best of it, but If we could go anywhere else in Aus we would jump at the chance!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
I have to agree, Perth is VERY isolated and boring, its so backwards, if you like living in the 70's, and have lots of money u will love Perth.

And its VERY hot and dry - too hot!!! and yes its FULL of POMS, we lived in Melbourne for a year and half and hardly ever met another POM, here you can hear northern pom accents booming and shouting at their kids, it makes me cringe and I wonder if I sound like that lol!

Unfortunately I am stuck here for now so I am trying to make the best of it, but If we could go anywhere else in Aus we would jump at the chance!
Would they be northern accents in the main?
What about booming southern accents?
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:39 am

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

lol - I never seem to hear many Southern accents - not sure if thats because most of the POMS here are from the North or whether I tend to notice the Northern ones more because I myself am from there....... its very strange though the way it makes you cringe when you hear it
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Would they be northern accents in the main?
What about booming southern accents?
or maybe the Southerners talk quieter
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
or maybe the Southerners talk quieter
and are more refined ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.