Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Brisbane

Perth or Brisbane

Old Jun 19th 2014, 6:59 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth or Brisbane

Originally Posted by Lisalan
Hi, thanks for all the responses.
For me asking for opions of two cities isn't a complete waste of time, I have to start somewhere and you never know what information you might find.
I believe my chances of finding work in either city shouldn't be too bad, though of course that remains to be seen!
Which is why the weather is really important to me personally and is the driving factor for our move. In the UK we get 4 months summer at best, this year so far may has been a write off and half of June has been poor too.
I'm not some crazy person who expects every day to be sunny by by the way! Lol. Would just like good weather more often than cold. And yes, from glancing at climate charts these two cities have apparently the warmer winters. Judging people's view of cold I must admit to be tricky, waking up and its frozen outside is cold, 18 degrees is not
As for beaches, I like the sea but its not a major factor, having places to go with the dog is more important.
Looking at temperatures will only give you part of the picture.

I live near Brisbane and feel colder here at night in the winter than ever I did in the UK......especially in the house. The houses are not really designed for the cold and we are often sat with a blanket round us watching TV at night. Once you acclimatise it can feel very cold. Houses are generally not insulated and it feels colder inside than out.

Also don't undestimate the 'bugs' here. Along with the warmer climate comes mosquitoes and biting midges which can make sitting outside unbearable.

As others have said Sydney and Melbourne probably have a lot more going for them work wise.....and possibly a lot less traffic problems.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Lisalan is an unknown quantity at this point

I was just wondering why it is that a few people have commented that Melbourne or Sydney would be better for work? I'm trying to put it into context. Is that like saying if you come to the UK you'd be best off heading to London for work? While London pays well, it isn't the only place that one can earn a living and have a decent life. Or does the size of these cities on paper not actually reflect the real world opportunities?
Also, evening and nightime temperatures are less so important, I know it is not going to be hot all the time, but what are the real average daytime tempertures like? As I've said before, climate charts only say so much but report that both Perth and Brisbane are around 18 degrees during the day in winter?
Any comments are helpful as the next year of research is very important to us.
Is there anyone else in Brisbane who also agree the bugs are a real problem? Does Perth being dryier fair better on this front?
Thanks again everyone
Old Jun 19th 2014, 8:43 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

As I've said before, climate charts only say so much but report that both Perth and Brisbane are around 18 degrees during the day in winter?
I honestly think you should rely on the climate charts...there is an issue with people talking about the weather on BE and exaggeration is common!

From what I've read, while Perth might reach a max like you said in winter, it takes a long time to get there and it isn't for long - it might actually be pretty cool for a lot of the day...it's much colder for much of the day in winter than Brisbane. Winters in Brisbane are glorious (low 20s, sun) and it's the best time to be there.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 8:43 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Perth or Brisbane

I was just wondering why it is that a few people have commented that Melbourne or Sydney would be better for work? I'm trying to put it into context. Is that like saying if you come to the UK you'd be best off heading to London for work? While London pays well, it isn't the only place that one can earn a living and have a decent life. Or does the size of these cities on paper not actually reflect the real world opportunities?
Melbourne and Sydney have corporate headquarters.

Brisbane and Perth have more branch offices.

We're not saying you won't get a job in smaller places, just that there will be less opportunity. With many types of jobs (eg electrician, nurse) location won't matter so much. With corporate type jobs, Melbourne and Sydney every time.

BB
Old Jun 19th 2014, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Also, evening and nightime temperatures are less so important, I know it is not going to be hot all the time, but what are the real average daytime tempertures like? As I've said before, climate charts only say so much but report that both Perth and Brisbane are around 18 degrees during the day in winter?
Is there anyone else in Brisbane who also agree the bugs are a real problem? Does Perth being dryier fair better on this front?
Thanks again everyone
I'm not in Brissie, but north Gold Coast and we don't have a bug problem! Can't see the bugs would be any different 45km away!

We see the odd mozzie in the summer but they're not a problem at all. I do know it certain areas of east Brisbane there are estates built on areas that were swamps so would imagine there would be more of an issue there.

During winter the daily temperature rarely drops below 20, usually it's around 22 - 24. Night time temperatures do drop occasionally below 10 as it did a couple of nights ago, although last night I think it only went down to 13.

Last edited by curly; Jun 19th 2014 at 8:49 am.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again everyone
Work-wise Sydney and Melbourne have more opportunities IMO as they are larger cities. Having said that, getting work depends on what you do and if the right opportunities arrive at the right time... just like buying houses.

I have lived in neither of those two cities, but when I was looking for a job here in Brisbane, I was asked if I consider relocating to either of them.

Brisbane can average from 18-25 degrees during the day in Winter and rarely gets colder than 7 degrees in the western suburbs where I am, but can get colder in certain parts (ask Deadvim). It generally warms up nicely by 9 or 10 am. Last night was raining and 15 degrees. Today topped out at about 22. It stays cool like this until mid September when Spring kicks in.

Perth has a Mediterranean climate and gets really, really hot, like 45 degrees for a few days or week at a time. We hit those temps here in Brisbane for a few days too, but then it cooled down again.

The bugs are not that bad. Not too many flies in summer, but the midges can bite and are painful for a couple of weeks. I only got bitten by them the first summer I was here and then became immune to them. There are mosquitos, but I haven't had a problem with them. Just get some mozzie coils when outside. But they are a problem for some people that are mosquito magnets.

I live 13 km's from Milton where I work and average 20-25 mins each way. I leave at about 7am for work and 4pm from work.

Brisbane is lovely and I love it here for the climate especially. I can't say about Perth as I have never been there.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jun 19th 2014 at 8:57 am.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 9:04 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks for all the responses.
For me asking for opions of two cities isn't a complete waste of time, I have to start somewhere and you never know what information you might find.
I believe my chances of finding work in either city shouldn't be too bad, though of course that remains to be seen!
Which is why the weather is really important to me personally and is the driving factor for our move. In the UK we get 4 months summer at best, this year so far may has been a write off and half of June has been poor too.
I'm not some crazy person who expects every day to be sunny by by the way! Lol. Would just like good weather more often than cold. And yes, from glancing at climate charts these two cities have apparently the warmer winters. Judging people's view of cold I must admit to be tricky, waking up and its frozen outside is cold, 18 degrees is not
As for beaches, I like the sea but its not a major factor, having places to go with the dog is more important.
If you are wanting warmer winters than Brisbane fits that! It does have beautiful winters. Whereas Perth I find there's more of a noticeable difference between the seasons than in bris.. I like both, the sun can get very boring quite quickly just like the rain can in the uk, and once you've been here a few yrs you might find you like some of the colder days. Both city's will have some unbearable hot days in the summer.

Mosquitos are much more of a problem in bris as are cockies I hardly ever see any here in perth and when I do there tiny in comparison to there eastern counterparts.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Just for the record 'cockies' are cockroaches.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Lisalan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Just for the record 'cockies' are cockroaches.
Thank you for clarifying the lingo, was just about to Google it!!

I really am appreciating everyone's time on my post, it is a great insight into what being in these places are like.

It seems to be that generally Brisbane is slightly warmer in winter during the day but was just wondering when people refer to Perth as being cooler, what sort of temps we are meaning?

As for the job thing, it is like anywhere and I will just have to hunt and hope. Right time, right place can count for a lot.

The other thing that is really important to us is being out and about with our dog, we live in the forest in the UK so have loads of places to walk. How does it compare in Auz. Are there any strict rules surrounding dogs. (Like in the US they have quite strict rules with dogs being on leads and specifically made dog parks in some places)

Thanks again
Old Jun 19th 2014, 10:01 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to be that generally Brisbane is slightly warmer in winter during the day but was just wondering when people refer to Perth as being cooler, what sort of temps we are meaning?

Old Jun 19th 2014, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

I really am appreciating everyone's time on my post, it is a great insight into what being in these places are like.

As for the job thing, it is like anywhere and I will just have to hunt and hope. Right time, right place can count for a lot.

The other thing that is really important to us is being out and about with our dog, we live in the forest in the UK so have loads of places to walk. How does it compare in Auz. Are there any strict rules surrounding dogs. (Like in the US they have quite strict rules with dogs being on leads and specifically made dog parks in some places)

Thanks again
Much the go here in Brisbane area as well from what i've seen over the years !
Old Jun 19th 2014, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again
Everyone seems to have at least one dog here, aussies love their dogs.

If I were you I'd concentrate on what you are looking to do on weekends, walking your dog in rainforests for instance is something you won't be able to do over west
Old Jun 19th 2014, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Could you throw in Sydney's and Melbourne's too please?
Old Jun 19th 2014, 11:03 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and another thing (surprisingly not mentioned yet) is the "fact", sorry "opinion", that Brissie is significantly cheaper than Perth!
Old Jun 19th 2014, 12:26 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again
Dog off leash areas are limited in both, nothing like the uk. In bris I'd go to the local dog park a enclosed fence area or Wellington point on weekends across to the island at low tide here in perth there's sections of the beach where dogs are allowed or on leash along the coastal path at burns beach. You'd need to check local council websites.

Most places don't allow dogs at all as they can kill the local wildlife or the local wildlife will kill them! Snakes are a big threat to dogs and many dogs die from bites theres also Paralysis ticks and leaches that'd you'd have to check them for after walks that are common in brissy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.