British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Perth or Brisbane? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/perth-brisbane-637784/)

MrsE Oct 27th 2009 5:22 pm

Perth or Brisbane?

Hi

We are hoping to go out to Oz in April and are thinking of spending a couple of weeks in Perth and a couple of weeks in Brisbane as these are the places where we have family and friends. If anyone has been to either of these places I would love to hear what you like or dislike about them - fors/againsts that sort of thing. Thank you:)

the troubadour Oct 28th 2009 5:35 am

Re: Perth or Brisbane?

Originally Posted by MrsE (Post 8049006)
Hi

We are hoping to go out to Oz in April and are thinking of spending a couple of weeks in Perth and a couple of weeks in Brisbane as these are the places where we have family and friends. If anyone has been to either of these places I would love to hear what you like or dislike about them - fors/againsts that sort of thing. Thank you:)

Living in Perth but will arrive in Hampshire in April the same time that you arrive here.
Will head up to the New Forest for a few days and on to Poole..but with regards to Perth. Please do check out a few other places before you make any decision.
I have lived in Perth a long time now but came here in the 90s when it was easy..read cheap.
There are a million threads on BE stating the pros and cons...important you get a feel of both sides of the arguement then decide what is important for you. Perth does come up a lot and often in the negative....isolation is a big factor.....expensive...but the weather is good..can be a little too hot in summer...just search out older threads and you'll soon get the idea.

The_Wookie Oct 28th 2009 6:11 am

On a personal level I'd go for Perth, but that's simply because I cannot stand humidity, which I believe is the norm' for Brisbane?

kendalanita Oct 28th 2009 8:12 am

Brisbane - Perth too far away from anywhere else

MrsE Oct 28th 2009 8:45 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 8050730)
Living in Perth but will arrive in Hampshire in April the same time that you arrive here.
Will head up to the New Forest for a few days and on to Poole..but with regards to Perth. Please do check out a few other places before you make any decision.
I have lived in Perth a long time now but came here in the 90s when it was easy..read cheap.
There are a million threads on BE stating the pros and cons...important you get a feel of both sides of the arguement then decide what is important for you. Perth does come up a lot and often in the negative....isolation is a big factor.....expensive...but the weather is good..can be a little too hot in summer...just search out older threads and you'll soon get the idea.

Hi

Thanks you for your response - I will take a good look at all the threads. I hope you have a good break in Hampshire - the New Forest is lovely.

MrsE Oct 28th 2009 9:00 am

Originally Posted by kendalanita (Post 8050933)
Brisbane - Perth too far away from anywhere else

Great - thanks, guess we will know more when we get out there.

:)

MrsE Oct 28th 2009 9:01 am

Originally Posted by The_Wookie (Post 8050774)
On a personal level I'd go for Perth, but that's simply because I cannot stand humidity, which I believe is the norm' for Brisbane?

Great - thanks, guess we will know more when we get out there.
:)

mohogony Oct 28th 2009 9:02 am

Hi

Half the posters will say choose Brisbane becasue Perth is too isolated and the other half will say choose Perth because Brisbane is too humid. l know becasue l have read Perth vs Brisbane threads on B/E a thousand times and they all say the same thing.

MrsE Oct 28th 2009 9:33 am

Originally Posted by mohogony (Post 8051053)
Half the posters will say choose Brisbane becasue Perth is too isolated and the other half will say choose Perth because Brisbane is too humid. l know becasue l have read Perth vs Brisbane threads on B/E a thousand times and they all say the same thing.

Marvelous :blink: I guess it's all down to personal taste then but as I have never been to either I wanted to hear what they both offer. Thanks for your response.

Kim67 Oct 28th 2009 9:42 am

I'm a Perth girl and I would say Brisbane. Brisbane is not as humid as everyone makes out. The weather is pretty mild all year round. Perth however gets really hot in summer and bl**dy freezing in winter. Brisbane has more happening because it's on the East coast, but still maintains a pretty relaxed lifestyle.

Nu-Shooz Oct 28th 2009 9:45 am

Originally Posted by mohogony (Post 8051053)

True, i feel another battle coming on.

Sod it, go to Melbourne;)

HelenTD Oct 29th 2009 3:12 am

I tried living in Brisbane for about 6 months, but couldn't settle there - but I was a single girl then and probably would have found it hard in Perth too. I have been living in Perth for 19 years now and appreciate the pros and cons.

I think a lot depends on the work you or your husband do, your leisure interests and whether you've got kids. I don't think that Perth is the place for teenagers unless they're into sport (I'm very worried about this as next year we will have a teenager, but luckily he does some sport, not very good at it, but still).

Also, my OH is from Perth, but he has spent time working in the UK, so he understands life from both sides. I first spent a year in Australia doing the backpacking trip and Perth appealed to me most. I returned a few years later when I migrated, spent a couple of weeks in Perth, then went to Brisbane to give it a try. I didn't take to it, although Brisbane has some great places to get to for the weekend and holidays, as well as being able to easily and cheaply visit Sydney and Melbourne. Perth is very beautiful - its river in the city centre is like a huge lake and almost matches Sydney Harbour IMHO - plus lots of greenery and the beaches are fantastic. Perth and WA are much wilder than eastern states (words such as "the wild west" and backward also spring to mind :rolleyes:). In Perth you need to drive further to get somewhere else, like the south west, but it's worth it when you get here. You're much closer to being outback than any other Australia capital, except Darwin. Housing in Perth has got really expensive and I can't see the point of any migrant coming here to live in a dodgy suburb and cope with the high cost of living and lack of choice. Despite the negatives in Perth, I think it has great potential (if you're patient) and we need new blood here more than Brisbane does!

The lifestyle is very relaxed, but some also say soporific. Perth has more Brits living in it than anywhere else in Australia, but thanks to BE, you can track down Brits living all over Australia, some loving it here, but many are struggling. Australia can be a very foreign place to live in, despite the language being similar ;). This thread could go on for some time ...

the troubadour Oct 29th 2009 8:28 am

Originally Posted by MrsE (Post 8051008)
Hi

Thanks you for your response - I will take a good look at all the threads. I hope you have a good break in Hampshire - the New Forest is lovely.

Thanks MrsE,actually will be first time in Hampshire and arrive by sea. Although London will be where i'll be for sometime...Really keen to get away from Perth as find it clostophobic after a time.
Prior to leaving will return to Melbourne for about a week,was there in Febuary,liked it but not entirely convinced it worth such an upheaval...but if just coming out would pick it over Perth,providing i could live in or close to inner city locations..
Lived in Far North Queensland,Cairns,back in the 90s and found it okay..but have never been to Brisbane,although from people who have been there the comments are not too dissimilar from critique voiced about Perth.
Fairly hard call at the end of the day if your choise is only between those two cities. Toss a coin perhaps or take a punt and ask which folk in either city do you feel the closest bond to?
Whatever you decide may it be for the best.

to inner city locations..

JackTheLad Oct 29th 2009 9:19 am

Hi

I've never been to Perth, but I did have a Boss from Perth who said the regular sandstorms in the afternoon were a pain, so he moved to Melbourne.

Our choice was always between Melbourne or Brisbane, and we chose Brisbane. I don't get the 'its to humid' thing. There are some very warm days in summer, but its in a sub-tropical area, so you expect that. It certainly doesn't bother us.

What put me off Melbourne is the very cold winters and the variable weather (it is NOT 4 seasons in 1 day, its variable weather ). Its got variable weather. I don't like that.

In Brisbane you can pretty much assume its going to be sunny, so plan barbies weeks ahead and assume it will be sunny. Plan trips to the beach, assume it will be sunny. Very rarely disappointed.

Sam Oct 29th 2009 10:38 am

For gods sake

please go to Brisbane

we already have enough pom's in Perth!!!!!! :rofl: