Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Brisbane

Perth or Brisbane

Old Feb 10th 2004, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

russell deane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth or Brisbane

Since we decided to move to Australia we have set our sights on Perth. We have found out about different areas we want to go to, different schools, shipping costs basically everything.

Now my wife has decided that she may fancy Brisbane and the Gold Coast. She is worried about the isolation of Perth and the fact that the east coast is more populated and other citys and places are more accessible.

Has anyone been to or lived in both ares and can tell me which place they found the best.

Thanks Russell
Old Feb 10th 2004, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope someone can reply to your thread and give you some good advise we too are in exactly the same position.I suppose we shall have to go out and look at the two for ourselves and then make up our minds but this will not be easy,cost of flights,travelling with young children etc.Good Luck hope we can get some more info.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Graham & Kath is an unknown quantity at this point

NNOOOO Russ tell her she cant move to Brisbane - you gotta come sail your boat with us in Perth

Kath & Graham
Old Feb 10th 2004, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Kath, I think I have married a maniac.

One day Perth the next day 4000 miles away

Get on the phone and talk the silly woman.

Hormones are playing up I think

Russell x
Old Feb 10th 2004, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

sarah d is an unknown quantity at this point

Oi you I read that!!!!!
get back in the common room
Old Feb 10th 2004, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hello, I am not at sixth form or college!!!!

There is no common room, it is called a lounge

Anyway you should be doing some housework or something.

Russell x
Old Feb 10th 2004, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

sarah d is an unknown quantity at this point

Housework
sorry,no dont understand
Old Feb 10th 2004, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Going to bed as I just can't listen to this any more.

Housework doesn't mean drinking wine and playing on the computer!!

Good night x
Old Feb 10th 2004, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Graham & Kath is an unknown quantity at this point

Noww. now you two!!! Honestly.

I have spoken to your Good Woman Russ and I can understand her worries I have them to.....but dont get to concerned as even if you go to Brisbane we will be coming over for our annual holiday!!!

Anyway, you cant afford the houses over there, there to bloody expensive....I have done my research!!!!

Graham says go where your heart tells you to because you'll regret it afterwards. Graham says "Where there a will theres a way:lecture:

Anyway, we were talking and me and Sarah and Karen are going into business together so she bloody well cant move to Gold Coast or that messes up our plans (I'll slap her when we come up on holiday )

Kaththe lecturer:lecture:
Old Feb 10th 2004, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth or Brisbane

Originally posted by russell deane
Since we decided to move to Australia we have set our sights on Perth. We have found out about different areas we want to go to, different schools, shipping costs basically everything.

Now my wife has decided that she may fancy Brisbane and the Gold Coast. She is worried about the isolation of Perth and the fact that the east coast is more populated and other citys and places are more accessible.

Has anyone been to or lived in both ares and can tell me which place they found the best.

Thanks Russell
I live on the east coast, but have spent time in Perth. Whilst the city of Perth itself is nice and shiny it is pretty small. I could not conceive living there because of the reasons you mentioned. The distance from anywhere else being the main one. We like to get out of the city regularly and having a variety of places to go on holiday - options that are not exactly thick on the ground in Perth.

The first couple of years over there are probably great whilst Perth is new to you and you're still settling in but imagine what it would be like after 5 years. By then you'd have explored what's on offer - been to Margaret River, checked out Albany, driven all the way to Broome (and not found much in any of those places!) - then what? Nowhere else to go!

From Perth, you have either a 3-day drive across the Nullabor to get anywhere or you're up for an expensive 5-hour flight. Whereas from here in NSW you can fly to Brisbane or Melbourne in an hour or drive there in less than a day. Fancy going skiing? Just hop in your car. Barrier Reef/Whitsundays are a couple of hours flying time. The additional population on this side means there are endless opportunities for weekends away in vastly differing environments - mountains, rivers, beaches, outback etc. I've been here a long time and still have heaps of places on my list that I want to explore. Can't imagine thinking that if I lived in Perth.

I've said before that I can't understand the attraction of Perth to English people (most Australians know better - if it was that fantastic they'd all be there). If you just want a cheap house with a pool and are happy to spend all your spare time within a 200k radius of it then it'll probably be fine for you. But if you want to get out occasionally, explore the country and see what the rest of Australia has to offer, then there are far better places to be.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:41 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nickyc
I live on the east coast, but have spent time in Perth. Whilst the city of Perth itself is nice and shiny it is pretty small. I could not conceive living there because of the reasons you mentioned. The distance from anywhere else being the main one. We like to get out of the city regularly and having a variety of places to go on holiday - options that are not exactly thick on the ground in Perth.

Just being nosy! How old are you? and have you done much travelling before you went to Aus - do you have kids?

Just thinking that this would throw a different perspective on things thats all.

Max
Old Feb 10th 2004, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by maxpaxx
Originally posted by nickyc

Just being nosy! How old are you? and have you done much travelling before you went to Aus - do you have kids?

Just thinking that this would throw a different perspective on things thats all.

Max
Came here on a WHV in 1979 when I was single and in my mid- 20's. You work out my age! I did a lot of travelling before I came here - worked for an airline in the UK and lived overseas for a while. Reason I came to Australia in the first place was because I'd moved back to the UK but only lasted a year (had a very bad case of couldn't-settle-back-down-to-boring-normality) before I had to get out again and decided to take a look at Australia. Sydney instantly fitted the criteria that I had at the time - and it still does.

My kids are 15 and 17 and were born here. I'll admit I'm a bit of an itchy-feet person but I've never been bored or felt restricted or cut-off in Sydney. There's so much to do and see within a reasonable distance. I love the fact you can just hop in your car and be in a completely different environment within a couple of hours.

Also know that wouldn't be case in Perth - wouldn't have lasted 6 months there, before I'd have been bored rigid and screaming to be let out!
Old Feb 10th 2004, 11:48 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nickyc

You sound a bit like me..but older What airline did you work for?

My first choice would be sydney but I just don't want a big mortgage and I can't beleive how high the real estate is!

Is there anywhere further up the coast that would be cheaper?

Max
Old Feb 10th 2004, 11:50 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Perth, best place on earth to raise kids, best weather in Aus, more laid back (the Wait A while state).

Excellent place if you are in to the outdoors or watersports, can't be beaten.

WA is an extremely beautiful state:

http://www.christianfletcher.com.au/...framephot.html
Old Feb 11th 2004, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE]Originally posted by maxpaxx
Originally posted by nickyc

You sound a bit like me..but older What airline did you work for?

My first choice would be sydney but I just don't want a big mortgage and I can't beleive how high the real estate is!

Is there anywhere further up the coast that would be cheaper?

Max
I was with the now-defunct BIA (turned into Air UK) followed by the now-defunct British Caledonian.

House prices are definitely a problem here (another reason I'm glad I came so long ago). Parts of the Central coast (on the coast, not Wyong way) are really nice and cheaper than Sydney but it's a long commute. Also further up the coast towards Newcastle has some lovely spots but Newcastle itself is a bit of a problem. There are some nice places under the escarpment down south towards Wollongong and I also like the Kiama area, but again it's a long way to Sydney.

No quick solutions to the house price problem unfortunately. Any bargains within a reasonable commute of Sydney are snatched up fast. I think the far north of NSW is gorgous around Byron Bay/Lennox Head and you're not that far from the Gold Coast. In fact, there are lovely places all up and down the NSW coast which are great to visit but as there's very little work out of the cities, most are not viable to live in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.