Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Brisbane?

Perth or Brisbane?

Old Jan 13th 2004, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

pete 10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Perth or Brisbane?

Myself and family very keen to emigrate to Oz,the question is we cannot decide on Perth (we have second cousins in Mandurah) or Brisbane.
Obviously we need to go out and look for ourselves,but various people have commented that Perth is lovely but,very isolated from the rest of Oz.
We have spoken to a lot of people and they recommend Queensland /Brisbane or just above.
I realise it all depends on what we want and everyone is different,but has anyone had any experiences of living and working in both Perth or Brisbane and how do they compare?
All comments good or bad would be appreciated.:PARTY:
Old Jan 13th 2004, 8:29 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: Perth or Brisbane?

Originally posted by pete 10
Myself and family very keen to emigrate to Oz,the question is we cannot decide on Perth (we have second cousins in Mandurah) or Brisbane.
Obviously we need to go out and look for ourselves,but various people have commented that Perth is lovely but,very isolated from the rest of Oz.
We have spoken to a lot of people and they recommend Queensland /Brisbane or just above.
I realise it all depends on what we want and everyone is different,but has anyone had any experiences of living and working in both Perth or Brisbane and how do they compare?
I first went to Brisbane in 1991, and have wanted to live there ever since.
At that time it seemed to me that not many UK'ers were attracted to the place, but now it seems that loads want to go there, more so than Perth it seems. Why?....
Old Jan 13th 2004, 10:01 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by chippy
At that time it seemed to me that not many UK'ers were attracted to the place, but now it seems that loads want to go there, more so than Perth it seems. Why?....
I haven't been to Perth, but from I read I would say that it is due to more opportunities. Not as many as Sydney of course, but then Brisbane is not "too" expensive. Houses within about 30mins drive East of the CBD are still available, at around $250,000.

And of course Brisbane is on the East coast, and most people consider everything is on the East Coast. But then that is one good reason for some people to want to go West

Old Jan 13th 2004, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

pagey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by chippy

Have you been to Perth?
Old Jan 13th 2004, 10:12 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pagey
Have you been to Perth?

never been to perth, although statiscally its preferred destination historically for poms

not this 1

our first choice was cairns, hmm sun tropics sea coral reefs and beaches
oh and cyclones and torrrential rain and mozzys

so sod it brisbane, refined open friendly rural in a cosmopolitan sense and accessible to everywhere else on east coast

Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Default Perth Or Brisbane

So you reckon Brisbane,what about employment and good areas to live,schools etc,can anyone recommend anywhere?Definatley do not want to live where that women from Channel 4 New Life Downunder was living?It looked a bit dodgy!Please Help
Old Jan 14th 2004, 11:01 am
lynsteve

Cool Re: Perth or Brisbane?

Been to Brissy a fair bit, great city, great suburbs and not so great, same as anywhere, Gold coast 6o mins drive away, Sunshine coast 90 mins dive away, warm winters and sticky summers. We live in Adelaide, too late to change now, kids job etc etc etc

Old Jan 14th 2004, 11:13 am
i'm digitalicious

asciidental is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I've never lived in Brisbane, but I've lived in Perth my entire life. I can't really help properly unless you give more detail on what sort of place you're looking for (somehere quiet/noisy/crowded/peaceful/cheap/expensive/etc that sort of thing). Also, with some industries (like IT) it s a bitch to get a job, where other things like teaching, medicine, nursing, construction materials are relatively easy to get one.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 11:32 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to both, and they both have that small city feeling that Sydney has definitely lost.

Perth is cheaper , but jobs are limited... and it 4,000 km to the next set of shops for the wife.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Its gotta be Perth for me!!!
Old Jan 14th 2004, 12:28 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

It depends on what type of job you want, but I`d say Brisbane if I had the choice... seems to have alot more happening and going for it, especially for location.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

SuziTattoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pete - my husband & I are in exactly the same position - we're heading off in July and still dont know which location to choose - we're in 2 minds as to whether Perth or Brisbane. We have friends in Perth who emigrated 3 yrs ago and they have offered to put us up for a while if we go to Perth - so we're swayed to that area as a first port of call and then if we don't like it we're gonna head to Brisbane - I'm worried about the isolation of Perth! How have others found Perth?? Good luck with your decision!
Old Jan 14th 2004, 6:18 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by pagey
Have you been to Perth?

No. But I will do one day. Like many others it seems just a little bit too isolated for me.

I want to spend some time exploring the East coast from Brisbane Northwards. There's quite a lot to see and do, more so than in WA, IMO.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Pete,

We went on a reccie last April and we have settled on Brisbane - Perth is the arse end of nowhere (but a fantastically beautiful place).

As other posters have said Brisbane can be more humid in the summer but with coastal areas like the Redcliffe peninsula 20kms from Brisbane CBD, Sunshine Coast 60 mins away and Sunshine Coast about 90 mins north I think it has more to offer.

Just my personal opinion mind

I have attached a document that I got off here a while back that discusses a load of areas surrounding Brisbane. Hope it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
brisbane information.doc (82.5 KB, 336 views)
Old Jan 15th 2004, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Hi Billabong
Thanks for that ,there seems to be loads of info there I have saved it and will use it to refer to once we get ourselves organised.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.