Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth - big flying bug thingy sighted

Perth - big flying bug thingy sighted

Old Sep 22nd 2005, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Perth - big flying bug thingy sighted

Well it wasn't flying by the time Mr J had finished with it this morning. Think it must have died of shock anyway, I would have. Nuff said.

It looked like a giant beetle, about 2 inches long. Anyone know what it is/was? Doesn't look anything like the Rhinoceros beetles we enjoyed on the Sunshine Coast. Much longer and thinner.

Hmmm.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 3:24 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth - big flying bug thingy sighted

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Well it wasn't flying by the time Mr J had finished with it this morning. Think it must have died of shock anyway, I would have. Nuff said.

It looked like a giant beetle, about 2 inches long. Anyone know what it is/was? Doesn't look anything like the Rhinoceros beetles we enjoyed on the Sunshine Coast. Much longer and thinner.

Hmmm.
A flying cockroach possibly - those things are yuck
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 5:01 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
A flying cockroach possibly - those things are yuck
Yep thats what it sounds like to me, I've never seen them actually be able to get airborn of the ground, any that ive seen have been higher up to start with and sort of glide around till gravity gets the better of them and they reach the ground (and get covered in Mortein )
Can they actually fly properly?
Seems quite early on to see them about, its not normally until the weather warms up that you really see any roaches around near us.
Get spraying now and hopefully the majority will be killed off before they even get born.
Steve
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 5:15 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
Yep thats what it sounds like to me, I've never seen them actually be able to get airborn of the ground, any that ive seen have been higher up to start with and sort of glide around till gravity gets the better of them and they reach the ground (and get covered in Mortein )
Seems quite early on to see them about, its not normally until the weather warms up that you really see any roaches around near us.
Get spraying now and hopefully the majority will be killed off before they even get born.
Steve
I am the same as you - seen them land not fly around but the thump when they do :scared:

The big bush buggers are not out in force yet, possibly with Sydney being a bit warmer/humid we have longer seasons for them. The place here is crawling with cockies now especially in the centre of the city in the outdoor places to eat, after dark you should see what crawls out of the planted beds in Australia Square.

I know they are everywhere and for the most part happy as long as they are not in my house, I need shares in Mortein.

Son was telling me about clearing the dishwasher at the restaurant he works in and having to pull out the cockies! Having worked in the food industry myself I know this can happen in the best of places.....just not in my kitchen!!!!
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 5:30 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
I am the same as you - seen them land not fly around but the thump when they do :scared:

The big bush buggers are not out in force yet, possibly with Sydney being a bit warmer/humid we have longer seasons for them. The place here is crawling with cockies now especially in the centre of the city in the outdoor places to eat, after dark you should see what crawls out of the planted beds in Australia Square.

I know they are everywhere and for the most part happy as long as they are not in my house, I need shares in Mortein.

Son was telling me about clearing the dishwasher at the restaurant he works in and having to pull out the cockies! Having worked in the food industry myself I know this can happen in the best of places.....just not in my kitchen!!!!
And there was me just thinking about lunch i've suddenly gone off the idea
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

EEEEEOOOOWWWW!! Yuck!

I only had the exterior of the house sprayed last week when we moved in and the guy said there was a 3 month guarantee. (I'm not sure exactly how you do that )
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve
When you say 'get spraying' what do you mean? The Mortein stuff?? The stuff the Pest Man sprayed on smelled pretty poky so I think it must have contained something other than water.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:34 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

My bin was over run with maggots this morning. Time to start double tying the bin bags...
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:44 am
Living in Perthection

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
When you say 'get spraying' what do you mean? The Mortein stuff?? The stuff the Pest Man sprayed on smelled pretty poky so I think it must have contained something other than water.
Yes you can get a sort of plastic canister thingy from bunnings/some larger supermarkets, its got a small sprayer gun thingy on the end of a tube so you can parade around your garden spraying everywhere pretending you know what your doing
I think it's supposed to be the nearest generally available product to the commercial stuff they use, costs about $25 bucks and does seem to do the trick, ive used it the last couple of years and we dont see that many roaches around, also seems to do quite well with keeping the ants at bay, stops them coming up through our brick paving.
Steve
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:48 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can get a sort of plastic canister thingy from bunnings/some larger supermarkets, its got a small sprayer gun thingy on the end of a tube so you can parade around your garden spraying everywhere pretending you know what your doing
I think it's supposed to be the nearest generally available product to the commercial stuff they use, costs about $25 bucks and does seem to do the trick, ive used it the last couple of years and we dont see that many roaches around, also seems to do quite well with keeping the ants at bay, stops them coming up through our brick paving.
Steve
Have seen this stuff for sale, do you think it is worth it or would it be better to get a man in? Moving into our new house on friday and don't want to share with anyone else!!!

Tracey
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:59 am
Living in Perthection

Originally Posted by tracey brien
Have seen this stuff for sale, do you think it is worth it or would it be better to get a man in? Moving into our new house on friday and don't want to share with anyone else!!!

Tracey
Im all for doing everything I can myself rather than pay out for someone else's time to come and do it. (and no im not scottish )

And as ours werent particularily bad anyway I just went with the DIY job which seemed to work pretty well. usually find a few dead ones lying on their backs each morning out the back and a few that have decided to go for a midnight dip in the pool

I guess it depends how bad your problem is and what the price difference is going to be.
Steve

PS: I have a big can of RAID (the black and yellow can, think its the barrier one) which I keep on hand for the odd one that chances his luck when were sitting out at night. This seems to stop them in their tracks the quickest of the sprays we've tried.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 8:00 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

It's nearly time to get the surface spray out. The first year I didn't bother and every item of outdoor furniture, including the little kids chairs had at least one redback living underneath.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 8:06 am
Living in Perthection

Originally Posted by renth
It's nearly time to get the surface spray out. The first year I didn't bother and every item of outdoor furniture, including the little kids chairs had at least one redback living underneath.
Sounds nasty up North Renth, Redbacks and maggots, you would'nt get that down saaafff.

Last edited by steve99; Sep 22nd 2005 at 8:43 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 8:22 am
(It's not my real name)

Sounds nasty up North Renth, Redbacks and maggots, you would get that down saaafff.
not forgetting the dugites and tiger snakes we've had in the garden too.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 8:45 am
Living in Perthection

Originally Posted by renth
not forgetting the dugites and tiger snakes we've had in the garden too.
Your own little Zoo starting there mate, best add your place onto the Perth Attractions listings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.