Perth - Asians

Old Feb 7th 2005, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Leaver is on a distinguished road
Default Perth - Asians

Due to leave for Perth in a few months and I'm interested to know how racially tolerant/multicultural the city is. I gather that the place has lots of Brits - which (I know this is contentious!!), for me, is helpful. (I'm getting nervous just typing!) But my wife is SE Asian and we do have slight concerns about attitudes towards ethnic minorities whose skin isn't white. Certainly when we've visited before, we've only encountered positives but a holiday is not the same as living there.
I'm not really interested in the one-off stories of abuse/intolerance - you can find those wherever you go in the world - it's more the general attitude.
I understand that the question is difficult to answer if you do not have Asian friends or family but I'd be interested in views - and in this case I do prefer the generalisations!
Secondly, how much of an Asian 'scene' is there? Besides restaurants, is Perth really multicultural or is it essentially a white city with the odd ghetto?
Old Feb 7th 2005, 7:51 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Perth - Asians

Originally Posted by Leaver
Due to leave for Perth in a few months and I'm interested to know how racially tolerant/multicultural the city is. I gather that the place has lots of Brits - which (I know this is contentious!!), for me, is helpful. (I'm getting nervous just typing!) But my wife is SE Asian and we do have slight concerns about attitudes towards ethnic minorities whose skin isn't white. Certainly when we've visited before, we've only encountered positives but a holiday is not the same as living there.
I'm not really interested in the one-off stories of abuse/intolerance - you can find those wherever you go in the world - it's more the general attitude.
I understand that the question is difficult to answer if you do not have Asian friends or family but I'd be interested in views - and in this case I do prefer the generalisations!
Secondly, how much of an Asian 'scene' is there? Besides restaurants, is Perth really multicultural or is it essentially a white city with the odd ghetto?
Can't answer your question personally (I haven't yet been to Perth) but would like to wish you & your wife the very best of luck with the move.

Certainly here in Melbourne, people of all colors & beliefs are accepted & made welcome - which means we have a very well-integrated city, as well as a fantastic range of ethnic restaurants!

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Mankuna is an unknown quantity at this point

I am particulary interested in this also. My wife and I are born and raised as brits but have parents that come from India. We have been in Houston for the last 7 years and are ready to move on as its not really the kind of place we want to settle. I just accepted a job in Perth and will be going out there in April. Heard only good things from people but never heard from any asians who have lived there for some time.

I have had my fair share of people with 'non-tolerant' opionions about people of colour in both the UK and the US, its one of those things that will always be around. I think it only get to be a problem when your faced with it all the time, either directly or indirectly. Like I said, I have an open mind about such issues and am not too concerned based on what I have heard about Perth, but would love to hear others opinion.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Certainly here in Melbourne, people of all colors & beliefs are accepted & made welcome - which means we have a very well-integrated city, as well as a fantastic range of ethnic restaurants!

Cheers,
Anya.
Same in Sydney, only more so. Sydney does everything better than Melbourne. And don't think it's confined to restaurants. There are the fruit shops, the butchers, the sea food shops, the newsagents, the bakers, the dentists, the doctors, the lawyers, the schoolkids everywhere and the commuters pouring off on the trains. I could go on. And my neighbours in a long established traditional Aussie suburb. One doesn't "notice" SE Asians anymore, merely the absences of traditional Aussies.

I couldn't be bothered going to SE Asia for an "Asian experience", it's on my doorstep!

In short, come on down. Choose your suburb and you'll feel right at home. A colleague, orginally from KH went back for a holiday and couldn't wait to "come home" to Sydney.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Banksia

In short, come on down. Choose your suburb and you'll feel right at home. A colleague, orginally from KH went back for a holiday and couldn't wait to "come home" to Sydney.
Banksia - I kind of thought that Sydney (and Melbourne also to a certain extent Anya) would be a real melting point - it's just that Perth is so isolated from the rest of Australia, a real pioneer place and yet so close to Asia - I hope that the situation there is a mirror of Sydney but I'd like some affirmation! Thanks for te replies thus far.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Banksia - I kind of thought that Sydney (and Melbourne also to a certain extent Anya) would be a real melting point - it's just that Perth is so isolated from the rest of Australia, a real pioneer place and yet so close to Asia - I hope that the situation there is a mirror of Sydney but I'd like some affirmation! Thanks for te replies thus far.
Obviously 'melting pot'! Funny how you can get quite self-conscious about your typos.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 10:36 pm
Mel Gibson

read this link:

www.greenleft.org.au/back/2004/591/591p4.htm

Old Feb 7th 2005, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mel Gibson
Man, that is seriously F'd up, very uncool.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Location: ex-Lancashire, ex-Northern suburbs, Perth WA, now Switzerland
cyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura about

Due to leave for Perth in a few months and I'm interested to know how racially tolerant/multicultural the city is. I gather that the place has lots of Brits - which (I know this is contentious!!), for me, is helpful. (I'm getting nervous just typing!) But my wife is SE Asian and we do have slight concerns about attitudes towards ethnic minorities whose skin isn't white.
I wouldn't worry - I don't think your wife will feel like she is part of an ethnic minority in the centre of Perth.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 11:53 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

'Melting point' - you've been here on one of our really hot days, then...?

Anya.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:04 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

My Chinese co-worker avoids situations where he is likely to come in to contact with large groups of drunken bogons (white trash Aussies) as he feels that he would be racially abused. Skyworks is a prime example.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

One of my best mates is Thai and living in central Perth, which she loves. She's got Indian, Italian, Greek and Aussie friends now. I think she found England to be more racist, but it was more an underlying thing... people wouldn't insult her to her face but they just weren't that friendly / accepting and didn't include her.
The Northern Burbs are more "white" Aussie/ Brits/ Irish/ South African but I don't know about any ethnic tensions.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by renth
My Chinese co-worker avoids situations where he is likely to come in to contact with large groups of drunken bogons (white trash Aussies) as he feels that he would be racially abused. Skyworks is a prime example.
Forgive me, but what is 'skyworks'?

Any Sikh posters out there? Anyone know where most of the Sikh community lives in Perth?

Thanks.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 1:20 am
Mel Gibson

In the late 1980's in Perth there was a guy called JAck Van Tongeren who lead a gang of neo nazis that were involved in a wave of racist violence against Asians and tried to drive Asians out of the state. He was jailed for 12 years. The funny thing was he was part Asian himself.
REad the link below:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...E1702%2C00.htm

Old Feb 8th 2005, 1:27 am
Just Joined

What a tosser....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.