Perth Arrival

Old Jun 11th 2003, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

golden girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't go with Bayswater to rent a car. We were out in Perth in May and were advised to stay clear of them. The cost of hiring a car may seem appealing but the owner of the company has been to court many times. He does not have the adequate insurance to cover you and you end up paying much much more to hire your car than they advertise.

We were shown newspaper cuttings to support this for every time he has appeared in court and the amount of times he has been prosecuted. We hired a car from a family run business called Drivewest car rental (based in Scarborough). They were excellent.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Golden Girl, thanks for that information, the one you suggested Drivewest Car Rentals for anyone interested the details are.

Drivewest Car Rentals
205 West Coast Highway
Scarborough
Ph: (08) 9245 1200

www.drivewest.com.au

For other Perth car rentals take a look at http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/fil...ntalsperth.php
Old Jun 11th 2003, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

mel&dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re:car rental

Originally posted by golden girl
Don't go with Bayswater to rent a car. We were out in Perth in May and were advised to stay clear of them. The cost of hiring a car may seem appealing but the owner of the company has been to court many times. He does not have the adequate insurance to cover you and you end up paying much much more to hire your car than they advertise.

We were shown newspaper cuttings to support this for every time he has appeared in court and the amount of times he has been prosecuted. We hired a car from a family run business called Drivewest car rental (based in Scarborough). They were excellent.
Cheers Golden Girl,

Luckily not booked car hire yet but will get in touch with Drivewest, thanks for link Donna&Chris

Dave&Mel

Old Jun 13th 2003, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Nina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re:car rental

Dave&Mel,

If you make a reservation at Drivewest before 30/6/03 don't forget to quote the winter special (20% discount) if your rental period commences prior to 31/8/03.

I have just sent an email to Drivewest because I had some questions before we decide where to book.

Nina

Originally posted by mel&dave
Cheers Golden Girl,

Luckily not booked car hire yet but will get in touch with Drivewest, thanks for link Donna&Chris

Dave&Mel

Old Jun 15th 2003, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth Arrival

Hi Martin

Sent you a pm quite a few days ago just wondering whether you could give me a bit more info on Somerlie web links etc.
Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Di

Originally posted by MartyO
Hi there

We were out in Perth about 18 months ago and all these areas are nice. We had a good look around the show homes in Currambine - different from here in UK as a number of different builders have show homes next to each other rather that one volume housebuilder, so you can easily walk from house to house and compare. I understand that most of the land blocks are gone in these areas if you were intending building your own. A new area of land release is planned at a new suburb called Somerlie. As far as I am aware the Mitchell Freeway and rail line will be extended north beyond Joondalup so this suburb will also be very handy for the CBD. I have a web link explaining this if anyone is interested?

As you say Mindarie and Hilarys are very nice but more pricey. Nothing like sitting outside in the pub at Hilarys in the sun watching the world go by!!

Cheers

Martin
Old Jun 16th 2003, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

MartyO is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dibrucewillis
Hi Martin

Sent you a pm quite a few days ago just wondering whether you could give me a bit more info on Somerlie web links etc.
Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Di

Diane

Sent you a pm

Cheers

Martin
Old Jun 17th 2003, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Martin

I have emailed sales for some more info.
It looks like it could be a nice development and very close to the beach.
I'm just wondering what kind of prices they will be asking for the land.
My initial thoughts are that it could be quite pricey

Thanks once again

Diane
Diane

Sent you a pm

Cheers

Martin
Old Jun 21st 2003, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Tracy69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth Newcomers

Hi there Dave and Mel

Seema like a lot of newcomers to Perth in the near future. Wonder if there is any kind of newcomers "club" (god I hate that word) or bar where everyone could meet up.

My husband (no kids) and I will arrive there Septemberish all things going well.

Keep in touch!! Good luck with all the emigration arrangements

Tracy
Old Jun 21st 2003, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

MartyO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth Newcomers

Hi Tracy

Don't know if you already know about the Poms in Perth web site which is pretty good for Perth related issues and getting to know others heading for Perth. A meet was recently arranged in Kings Park in Perth and I kow they intend arranging others. Current thread on this can be found at http://www.pomsinperth.com/discussio...opic.php?t=220

Hope this helps.

Martin
Old Jun 21st 2003, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

suzanne crabtre is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by suz
Hi Dave and Mel

Lucky you, we are hoping to go Oct/Nov 2003. Somebody gave me a web address the other day , thought it might come in handy- www.pomsinperth.com apparantly they are 2 family's who have done the immigration bit to Perth in 2000 and they now own 3/4 houses just north of city centre, which they rent out fully kitted out for people like us awaiting our household stuff!!! they also pick you up from the airport. They decided to set this up because they got so ripped off themselves when arriving and did not know anyone to help with info etc.. so free advice as well, I've looked at their web site and I would certainly give them a go,they may even be able to help you in the suburbs question.
Hope all goes well,
Happy travelling.
Suz

Thanks for the web site. Found it very informative. Put it in my favourites.
Sue
Old Jun 21st 2003, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

suzanne crabtre is an unknown quantity at this point

When Tony went over in January of this year, he hired a car with City car rentals. www.citycar.com.au
He arranged for the car to be left for him at the airport. Inside was a map. The car was in good condition, and all he had to do was leave it at the airport as he had found it. The price for hire was one of the best, and couldn't fault them at all. He booked it over the internet. Hope this may be of some use.

Sue
Old Jun 21st 2003, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Redback is an unknown quantity at this point

They decided to set this up because they got so ripped off themselves
Now they reccomend others get ripped off. Save your money and book else where. Bad attitude towards customers once they have your money.

Last edited by Redback; Jun 21st 2003 at 11:17 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Tracy69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth Newcomers

Hi Tracy

Don't know if you already know about the Poms in Perth web site which is pretty good for Perth related issues and getting to know others heading for Perth. A meet was recently arranged in Kings Park in Perth and I kow they intend arranging others. Current thread on this can be found at http://www.pomsinperth.com/discussio...opic.php?t=220

Hope this helps.

Martin
Thanks Martin - will head down to there and see what is going on.
"Winging Poms" I believe the Brits are called down under??