Wikiposts

Perth Arrival

Old Jun 7th 2003, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

mel&dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Perth Arrival

Hi Guys,

We are Dave & Mel from Scunthorpe, we are emigrating to Perth and will be arriving July 10th 2003.

Booked a week in Ibis Hotel whilst we look for rental accommodation/car etc, any advice as to suitable areas would be appreciated, we have been told the following areas are OK Duncraig, Greenwood, Warwick, Hamersley and Kingsley.

We are looking for somewhere with easy access to beach and CBD.

Any advice on best way to transfer currency (at best rates) would be welcomed.

Cheers

Mel&Dave
Old Jun 7th 2003, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth Arrival

Had long conversation with Johnny at Halewood about currency process. Seemed easy enough and a few cents below trading rate. Definitely not tourist rates! They don't deal in real cash though so you'll still need some in cash.

www.hifx.co.uk

01753 859159

Mash
Originally posted by mel&dave
Hi Guys,

We are Dave & Mel from Scunthorpe, we are emigrating to Perth and will be arriving July 10th 2003.

Booked a week in Ibis Hotel whilst we look for rental accommodation/car etc, any advice as to suitable areas would be appreciated, we have been told the following areas are OK Duncraig, Greenwood, Warwick, Hamersley and Kingsley.

Cheers

Mel&Dave
Old Jun 7th 2003, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

NicciS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We are arriving on the 14th of July. I am not sure whether you have kids or not, or your age group, but try scarborough, for a reasonably priced beach suburb, close to cbd.

If you've got kids, then pick a suburb by the school......

I can't remember the name of the best car hire place just now, but when I do, I'llattach it to this thread. It offers the best deals.

Nicci
Old Jun 7th 2003, 10:48 pm
Squeaking Member

Anon E Mouse is on a distinguished road

Scarborough? Reasonable? Dont make me squeak.....
Old Jun 7th 2003, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

Default thanx

Originally posted by NicciS
Hi,

We are arriving on the 14th of July. I am not sure whether you have kids or not, or your age group, but try scarborough, for a reasonably priced beach suburb, close to cbd.

If you've got kids, then pick a suburb by the school......

I can't remember the name of the best car hire place just now, but when I do, I'llattach it to this thread. It offers the best deals.

Nicci
Thanks for the posting Nicci,

weve looked at Scarboro but its too expensive for the type of property were after (4 bed/2 bath/pool)

Im 34 and Mels 32 (no kids) just need to be within 30 mins of CBD for work.

Cheers

Dave
Old Jun 7th 2003, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

karlos is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mel and Dave,

My wife and I both grew up in Barton on Humber. Been gone a few years now, but still get up there to visit relatives. We spent many a drunken night in Henry Africa’s. Is that place still open?

We are off to Perth in November to validate our visas.

If you don't mind me asking what line of work are you in?

Regards
Karl.
Old Jun 8th 2003, 12:32 am
port kennedy dec 2003

carolerussell is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

Cheers

Mel&Dave

Hi Dave and Mel:

Sorry I can't help you much, were heading for Leeming which is about 20 minutes from coast and 12 km south of perth. We live in Thorne which isn't too far from you. We are hoping to be out to perth on 11th October. Good luck.
Old Jun 8th 2003, 12:33 am
Just Joined

dajblewis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dave & Mel
We are off to Perth in Aug 03. We've Been told that land and property south of Perth is a lot cheaper more established. North of Perth is more modern, but more expensive. Our friends stayed in Yokine, which was close to the beach, probably need a car.

I agree Halewood in Windsor is sound for money changing. They were recommended by one of the top financial advisors at Godfrey and Pembroke.

Who are you flying with? costs?

All the best.

Dave & Mandie.
Old Jun 8th 2003, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Scarborough? Reasonable? Dont make me squeak.....
Anon E Mouse: What is the point in posting an answer like that. Its of no help or value to anyone. As you live in Perth you are in a position to help with the question.

For cheap car hire try http://www.bayswatercarrental.com.au/

Last edited by karawara88; Jun 8th 2003 at 1:41 am.
Old Jun 8th 2003, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

Cheers

Mel&Dave
Hi Dave and Mel

Welcome to the forum, you will find it both addictive but very informative.

Great meeting up with you guys yesterday its nice to able to exchange info, and to meet others who are going through the same process, glad to see that we are not the only insane people going on this adventure
Old Jun 8th 2003, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Hi Dave and Mel
We are north in Hillarys , very nice , we are renting dont think we will be able to buy here , so will make the most of it Woodvale is very nice , kingsley is nice to , greenwood nice older established area , mullaloo can still pick them up quite reasonably , parts of kallaroo , ocean reef .Its best to come out and have alook yourself and weigh all the suburbs up
Joanne and Paul
Old Jun 8th 2003, 2:54 am
Just Joined

Default REPLY

Originally posted by karlos
Hi Mel and Dave,

My wife and I both grew up in Barton on Humber. Been gone a few years now, but still get up there to visit relatives. We spent many a drunken night in Henry Africa’s. Is that place still open?

We are off to Perth in November to validate our visas.

If you don't mind me asking what line of work are you in?

Regards
Karl.
Hi Karl,

Went through Barton on way to Barrow yesterday to visit Scooby (Due out in Perth Oct 2003).

Henry Afrikas still open, though dont get in much as I feel a bit of an old fart (most people 16 - 20). I'm told that you still stick to the Carpet!

Im in Engineering (Mechanical - Project Management) and my wife (Mel) is in accounts.

Can't wait to get to Perth as its just started wazzing it down here! winter in perth must be better than our summer!

Keep in Touch

Dave
Old Jun 8th 2003, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Hi Dave & Mel

For car hire check out Bayswater or Euro Cars. For accounting jobs you're likely to be city based and for mechanical engineering it is more likely to be city or south. The suburbs you mentioned are all northern ones.

Zebra4
Old Jun 8th 2003, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dave & Mel

We are hoping to emigrate to Perth next year "fingers crossed"
We have family in Kinross,North Perth they have lived there for approx 5yrs.
They love it .
We have been quizzing them on different places and they suggest that the best thing to do is get out there and have a good look around.
Woodvale,Duncraig,Currambine,Carramar and Kingsley are all supposed to be nice areas.
Hillarys and Mindarie also look nice but as they are nearer the beach property prices are a bit steeper
We have been looking at property guides which we have been sent and when you suddenly see house prices considerably more cheaper than others it speaks for itself.

As for car rental we have seen Bayswater car rental mentioned on another forum supposedly very cheap.

Good luck for your future life in OZ.
Don't forget when you get out there and find somewhere that you like don't forget to give us some feedback by posting a message on the forum

Diane& Jeff

Hi Guys,

Cheers

Mel&Dave
Old Jun 8th 2003, 4:08 am
Just Joined

gormaymax is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi both,

We are due to leave for Perth in July, and are looking to go north of the city due to the fantastic beaches (we have 3 young kids). As long as you are close to the Mitchell freeway you can get a long way in 1/2 an hour (not the gridlock we are used to) Lots of new developments going up North of Hillarys, good size housing for lot's less than we pay here.

Money transfers: we have just opened a bank account in Perth and will be transfering bank to bank (for £10 fee) which gives better 'Priority Transfer' rates than you see as tourist rates.

Good luck with your move, are you both excited, as my lot certainly are as it's a great place.

Andy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.