Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth - areas to live

Perth - areas to live

Old Jul 18th 2007, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold
Default Perth - areas to live

As you will have seen from my other post, my wife and me are heading out to Perth fairly soon and I was wondering if there were recommendations on places to live?

I've been to Perth a few times before and really like the Highgate/Mount Lawley area, but prices are insane. Apart from that we've been looking at maybe Scarborough as the rent/to buy prices seem a bit easier on the pocket.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:59 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth - areas to live

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
As you will have seen from my other post, my wife and me are heading out to Perth fairly soon and I was wondering if there were recommendations on places to live?

I've been to Perth a few times before and really like the Highgate/Mount Lawley area, but prices are insane. Apart from that we've been looking at maybe Scarborough as the rent/to buy prices seem a bit easier on the pocket.
Give us some clues. Got a family? Party animals? How much are you looking to spend? Working in the CBD? Mind commuting? Into aquatics and want to be near the sea / river?
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
We are renting in Mt Lawley at the moment and you are right, any suburb close to town will be expensive, unless you get a house right next to the freeway or a tip. Our rent is $400 a week for a 3/4 bedroom house with garden in a great part of Mt lawley close to shops and transport. We are buying a place though and i think you need to decide what it is that is most important to you. Do you want to be close to the city but have a small house with minute garden, do you want to be near the beach where agin small house and small garden, do you wnat to live in the Northern Suburbs further out, larger houses and blocks but good transport but everything looking like Neighbours in anonymous suburbs, do you want to live furher inland with larger blocks (a bit of garden perhaps) but in rougher areas, or do you want to live in the Hills, with big properties and gardens, good rural locality but further still from work. Once you decide what sort of money you can spend and what life style you want then ask the question again and you will get more useful advice.

Good luck

Chris
Old Jul 19th 2007, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

You might be better to ask places to avoid.
Ashfield for one, my son just moved from there to Scarborough.
He goes to Mt Lawley Uni, but lived on Guildford Road, which was quite nice, a little 2 bed Unit, 240 per week. They wanted a bigger place for when friends came over and found house in Ashfield, 340 per week, bloody awful place to live though.
Good luck
Denise
Old Jul 19th 2007, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Ah sorry for the vague manner of my initial post.

As I said, I do like the Highgate area due to its ease of getting into the city, and nice cafe/pub strip (have to love breakfast at the Queens!).

The trouble is that with regards to a budget I doubt very much we would be able to do more than $400,000 and for that I'm pretty sure all we could get in Highgate is a box!

It's for this reason that I mentioned Scarborough as I don't think it's too far away from CBD, where we will probably be working, plus it's close to the coast and there's a higher chance of getting a yard/garden.

I'm afraid it's all a bit up in the air at the moment as we are staying with the in-laws for the first couple of months we are there down past Margaret River, during which time we will be looking for jobs. I was really just after advice on areas that are nice....areas to avoid etc.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

As I said, I do like the Highgate area due to its ease of getting into the city, and nice cafe/pub strip (have to love breakfast at the Queens!).

The trouble is that with regards to a budget I doubt very much we would be able to do more than $400,000 and for that I'm pretty sure all we could get in Highgate is a box!

It's for this reason that I mentioned Scarborough as I don't think it's too far away from CBD, where we will probably be working, plus it's close to the coast and there's a higher chance of getting a yard/garden.

I'm afraid it's all a bit up in the air at the moment as we are staying with the in-laws for the first couple of months we are there down past Margaret River, during which time we will be looking for jobs. I was really just after advice on areas that are nice....areas to avoid etc.

Hi,
I think areas that are still affordable in the Northern Suburbs are Craigie, Kingsley, Duncraig, Edgewater, Wanneroo, Woodvale, closer to town Innaloo is still apparently cheaper than the surrounding suburbs. People say East of Waneroo road is cheaper but rougher, west of the Mitchel freeway is expensive. We decided that lifestyle and garden were important so are heading for the hills..
Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:23 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranni
You might be better to ask places to avoid.
Ashfield for one, my son just moved from there to Scarborough.
He goes to Mt Lawley Uni, but lived on Guildford Road, which was quite nice, a little 2 bed Unit, 240 per week. They wanted a bigger place for when friends came over and found house in Ashfield, 340 per week, bloody awful place to live though.
Good luck
Denise
Great place to invest though - There's a good reason the locals call it Cashfield!!!!
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:09 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Scarborough isnt significantly cheaper than Highgate, so you are probably still looking at a box.

Other suburbs with a similar feel to highgate (good cafe strip etc) are Leederville, Cottesloe, Claremont, Victoria Park or Kalamunda

Leederville is about the same price range as highgate so again a box.

Cottesloe & Claremont are significant more expensive, so no chance of even a box

Vic Park or Kalamunda are cheaper. You have a reasonable chance of at least a good 3x1 or maybe a tatty 4x2 thats need work with a reasonable sized garden (maybe 500sqm)

Kalamunda is quite a bit out - at least 45 min travel by public transport to CBD, so I would recommend Vic Park as your best bet. Less than 20 mins by public transport to the CBD, good restaurants and cafe strip and reasonably priced houses (East Vic Park is slightly cheaper still, but not such a good address) Dont know if you have children and / or pets but if you dont and you are willing to consider apartments or townhouses, you can definately still get them in Vic Park for under 400K, you can even still get city views if you look carefully

have a search on www.reiwa.com.au and see what comes up over the next few weeks.

The Perth market is slowing down, so you might have a chance to pick up a bargain + winter is the best time here to house hunt.

Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Many thanks. That gives me a starter as ideas of where to look.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
Great place to invest though - There's a good reason the locals call it Cashfield!!!!
Oh i AGREE WITH THAT
But my kids and their friends where attacked by aboriginals feuding, they where attacked with machette, knives, baseball bat. they where waiting for a train to go on a night out.
But just giving advice, thats all.