Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PERTH - Area pro's and con's

Wikiposts

PERTH - Area pro's and con's

Old Jun 24th 2006, 7:26 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PERTH - Area pro's and con's

I agree Elisha. Some excellent points of view, and very helpful to me whilst deciding where we are to live.

Thanks everyone

Any more would be greatly appreciated
Old Jun 24th 2006, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

jojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
I agree Elisha. Some excellent points of view, and very helpful to me whilst deciding where we are to live.

Thanks everyone

I would really appreciate any comments on Ellenbrook. We'd been considering it but I wasn't hugely impressed regarding the crime stats for that area. I'd been previously advised that it was a good area for families with young kids....any opinions gratefully received!!
Old Jun 24th 2006, 11:08 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Ocean Reef. I'm renting at the moment. Should have bought 18 months ago. I will be able to afford to buy here when I sell the house in UK but have to settle for less house. I'm not panicing though, no point, I'm renting a great house 5 mins walk from the beach. I could hear the waves breaking whilst in bed this morning.

I like the Ocean Reef Sea Sports Club.

I like the views, the primary school, the community. I feel that Ocean Reef is gradually becoming a bit scruffy though, like Mullalloo or even City Beach - a lot of poorly built 70's houses with scruffy gardens which happen to be worth nearly 1,000,000 or more.

You ought to see the crap on the market though, absolute shite mostly all way overpriced. I reckon it's mostly chancers trying to make a lot of money before the boom stops.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 11:12 am

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojo90
I would really appreciate any comments on Ellenbrook. We'd been considering it but I wasn't hugely impressed regarding the crime stats for that area. I'd been previously advised that it was a good area for families with young kids....any opinions gratefully received!!
Sorry, don't know much about Ellenbrook, but I'm sure others will
Old Jun 27th 2006, 1:08 pm

Bump
Old Jun 27th 2006, 1:36 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Butler, have done for quite a while now and still like it.

Pros
New houses
plenty of parks for the kids
clean
5 mins to ocean
own shopping centre opening in a few weeks
15 mins to Joondalup (never have to go further)
good choice of schools
good community feel with many organised events and community clubs such as playgroup, junior footy team etc....

cons
distance to city can put some off but my other half can be at work in 50 mins door to door
Being a new area there is still building going on in parts
....... cant think of any more
Attached Thumbnails PERTH - Area pro's and con's-butler1m.jpg   PERTH - Area pro's and con's-butler2m.jpg   PERTH - Area pro's and con's-butler3m.jpg   PERTH - Area pro's and con's-butler4m.jpg   PERTH - Area pro's and con's-butler5m.jpg  

Old Jun 27th 2006, 1:39 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

here are a couple more pics of Butler
Attached Thumbnails PERTH - Area pro's and con's-butler6m.jpg   PERTH - Area pro's and con's-butler7m.jpg   PERTH - Area pro's and con's-butler8m.jpg  
Old Jun 27th 2006, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Tracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu

Thanks everyone

Hi
We are currently renting in Quinns Rocks and in the process of buying there. We were lucky to find a house on a 800sq. metre block for $425,000 as prices are rising fast in this suburb. We will be in old Quinns rather than "legoland." We will be 5-10 minutes walk (1 min in car) to the ocean and can include a walk along the very clean beach in a daily walk. Parts of the beach are suitable for dogs. The bus service takes you to Clarkson where the nearest big shopping mall is (similar to Lakeside at Joondalup) or on to the train station where you can get the bus or train to other nearby suburbs. We find getting to the shopping mall by car just the same as nipping into town in the UK so we don't feel isolated.
Quinns is a bit hilly in parts so has a village-type feel which we like. Plenty of clean parks with BBQs etc. No local pub but we don't mind as there are plenty of eateries around in nearby suburbs. Quinns has local shops, takeaways, video hire, restaurant etc., within easy reach.
There are plenty of other suburbs with more to offer I guess but we like it here.
Tracey B
Old Jun 27th 2006, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracey B
Hi
We are currently renting in Quinns Rocks and in the process of buying there. We were lucky to find a house on a 800sq. metre block for $425,000 as prices are rising fast in this suburb. We will be in old Quinns rather than "legoland." We will be 5-10 minutes walk (1 min in car) to the ocean and can include a walk along the very clean beach in a daily walk. Parts of the beach are suitable for dogs. The bus service takes you to Clarkson where the nearest big shopping mall is (similar to Lakeside at Joondalup) or on to the train station where you can get the bus or train to other nearby suburbs. We find getting to the shopping mall by car just the same as nipping into town in the UK so we don't feel isolated.
Quinns is a bit hilly in parts so has a village-type feel which we like. Plenty of clean parks with BBQs etc. No local pub but we don't mind as there are plenty of eateries around in nearby suburbs. Quinns has local shops, takeaways, video hire, restaurant etc., within easy reach.
There are plenty of other suburbs with more to offer I guess but we like it here.
Tracey B
We're now in the "legoland" part of Quinns Rocks , after renting in Butler for a couple of years.

Ocean and beach is still absolutely stunning, even after seeing it almost every day for 2+ years. Lack of big trees here, but you can't have everything. Lots of building going on nearby (Jindalee, Butler), and facilities starting to catch up with population growth. Few rough areas around, and, as someone else said, you can hear the banjos playing in parts of Old Quinns. Has a bit of character though, which is sorely lacking in the new suburbs. Quite a hike to the city. Shortage of decent high schools, but that may change as the area develops.

Main pros are the ocean and beach. Pretty quiet too, if you like that kind of thing (apart from the hoons, of course).
Old Jun 27th 2006, 2:45 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Quinns also has the excellent Quinns Mindarie Surf Lifesaving Club of which Renth and family are members...

... and the Quinns Rocks Bush Fire Brigade too, of course.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 3:02 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Have lived in City Beach for about 3 years.

Pros
oddly enough its a beachside suburb (and probably one of the best beaches)
Its only about a 15min rush hour commute into the City
3 different bus services into the city within a 10min walk
a few mins drive to Subiaco, Claremont, Scarborough, Leederville for shops,cafes,pubs,restaurants etc
less that 5min drive to Trigg and Scarborough for Surf beaches
2min drive to Floreat Forum for Food shopping etc
Large blocks so houses arent all on top of each other, no duplex's
Lots of parklands & trees running between streets
Very friendly and sociable neighbours (at least in our street)
Guaranteed strong Capital Growth due to proximity to beach/city

Cons
None for me - there's no where else id rather live
(some might say price and that its now too expensive)
Old Jun 27th 2006, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
Have lived in City Beach for about 3 years.

Pros
oddly enough its a beachside suburb (and probably one of the best beaches)
Its only about a 15min rush hour commute into the City
3 different bus services into the city within a 10min walk
a few mins drive to Subiaco, Claremont, Scarborough, Leederville for shops,cafes,pubs,restaurants etc
less that 5min drive to Trigg and Scarborough for Surf beaches
2min drive to Floreat Forum for Food shopping etc
Large blocks so houses arent all on top of each other, no duplex's
Lots of parklands & trees running between streets
Very friendly and sociable neighbours (at least in our street)
Guaranteed strong Capital Growth due to proximity to beach/city

Cons
None for me - there's no where else id rather live
(some might say price and that its now too expensive)
City Beach, Floreat, that area. I've never lived there, but I've had a good look around and it does look like a great place to be.

If you can afford it, this area is in my view the one that offers the best of everything and avoids most of the drawbacks encountered by people moving to Perth.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 3:18 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by Exile
City Beach, Floreat, that area. I've never lived there, but I've had a good look around and it does look like a great place to be.

If you can afford it, this area is in my view the one that offers the best of everything and avoids most of the drawbacks encountered by people moving to Perth.
I think City Beach has some very ugly 70's style houses, many in poor condition.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by renth
I think City Beach has some very ugly 70's style houses, many in poor condition.
True, but those you have to bulldoze and rebuild. The result can be a great, modern house but in a leafy, established area that is close to everything.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 3:32 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Havent seen anything in CB I would call "very ugly" but agree there are a few run down places dotted around that are due for demolition.
Trouble is there's so much being knocked down and rebuilt and others having major renovations that anything that isnt brought up to the same level, looks out of place and tired.
Look in other suburbs where there all the same 70's style and you dont notice them, or look in cheaper more northern coastal suburbs and the houses being built wont in general be anywhere near the size or quality of those being built in CB.
Block price anywhere in CB would now probably be over a $1M sticking a 2 or $300K house on a block like that wont happen, it'll be totally out of place with everything else new around it, I doubt anything has been newly built in CB for under $1/2M in the past few years, there are some huge one off houses probably costing upwards of a couple of million being built at present. There's also a real limited amount on the market anything that comes on gets snapped up pretty much straight away, many dont even make it to the first home open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.