Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth Airport Customs

Perth Airport Customs

Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

ssafiri is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Perth Airport Customs

I read most threads about some stuff that cant take into Australia but what about:
1-canned food ex. tuna , stew and cooked canned rice?
2-blanket and mattress?
3-dried vegetables?

thanks for your help...
cheers,
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth Airport Customs

Originally Posted by ssafiri
I read most threads about some stuff that cant take into Australia but what about:
2-blanket and mattress?
3-dried vegetables?

thanks for your help...
cheers,
You can't bring in vegetables, meat or fish.
You can bring in blankets and mattresses - unless the mattress is stuffed wit feathers in which case they may want to treat it first.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 1:51 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

2-blanket and mattress?
3-dried vegetables?

thanks for your help...
cheers,
You are really better to buy those things here. It would be a shame to use your baggage allowance on things that are easily obtained when you arrive.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

On the same kind of line - flying with pillows.

I had never noticed it before Oz, but I have noticed a lot of people on short domestic flights carry their hand luggage and a pillow?

Why the pillow?

Its too short a flight to get any sleep. May be they are going to stay in a cheap hotel or with a friend that is too tight to give them a pillow.

Or may be it is to put over your head when flying QANTAS.

Anyone know why the pillows?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:15 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger

I had never noticed it before Oz, but I have noticed a lot of people on short domestic flights carry their hand luggage and a pillow?

Why the pillow?

Its too short a flight to get any sleep. May be they are going to stay in a cheap hotel or with a friend that is too tight to give them a pillow.

Flying from Perth to just about anywhere is a fairly long flight. I guess it's more comfy to bring a pillow.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Flying from Perth to just about anywhere is a fairly long flight. I guess it's more comfy to bring a pillow.
Yes..I know I do it often enough, but its the Sydney Brisbane and Sydney Melbourne that people have the pillows on
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:57 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I've noticed that too and thought it was strange. I can't see how using a full size pillow in any way in a normal economy seat is even possible / comfortable....unless you have the wall to lean on.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 4:05 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by bcworld
I've noticed that too and thought it was strange. I can't see how using a full size pillow in any way in a normal economy seat is even possible / comfortable....unless you have the wall to lean on.
Or the person sitting next to you Doesn't matter how long or short the flight...I just simply cannot sleep on a plane.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:41 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Why the pillow?

I often nod off while still on the ground its real pain as take off wakes me up !
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Perthforme
I often nod off while still on the ground its real pain as take off wakes me up !
That's OK, so long as you're not the pilot
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:49 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

That's OK, so long as you're not the pilot
Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:13 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Or the person sitting next to you Doesn't matter how long or short the flight...I just simply cannot sleep on a plane.
Have you tried noise cancelling headphones? My boss (who flies a lot more than I do, including lots of longhaul) bought a pair and I tried them out - quite astonishing how much of the noise they block. If I were planning to do a lot of flying (right now I don't know how often I'll be coming back to the UK) I'd invest in a pair.

Cheers
b
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by benlast
Have you tried noise cancelling headphones? My boss (who flies a lot more than I do, including lots of longhaul) bought a pair and I tried them out - quite astonishing how much of the noise they block. If I were planning to do a lot of flying (right now I don't know how often I'll be coming back to the UK) I'd invest in a pair.

Cheers
b
earplugs work for me......along with 2 sleeping pills.......4 large Bacardi & cokes.......a bacon sarnie.........and a 1st class full length bed.
No problem !!!!!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

2-blanket and mattress?
3-dried vegetables?

thanks for your help...
cheers,
I did alot of research into what you CAN take in. The AQIS website is handy but not very user friendly. I ended up phoning AQIS Perth to ask about -
commercially packed ground coffee and Marmite. Apparently no problem with either UNLESS you don't declare it when you arrive. Then they might confiscate it coz you didnt declare it. Just head for the AQIS desk at the airport and show them what you brought in or declare it on your customs form that goes with your container. They'll check it out (make sure it's commercially sealed).
It's the stuff that you list at 1 & 3 that are no-nos.
I've even had to get rid of my butterfly collection coz even dead insects are not allowed ! Same as dried vegetables AND seeds. Tho strangely you can't bring in coriander seeds but you can if they've been ground to a powder.
Re feathers - I'm having to get rid of my 3 piece suite as it has horse hair stuffing and feather cushions. Both a problem.
BUT if you have duvets (doonas) and pillows that are modern and commercially produced, or bought, in the UK, there should not be a problem. These would have had to have been treated already to be able to have been sold in the UK. It's old stuff with feathers in that is likely to coz grief. My suite is from the 1930's - so we had to go buy a new one.
Most removals companies don't know the rules on feathers. each of the 5 we consulted came up with different regs. but the majority said no problem with modern stuff.

Last edited by BATS666; Oct 9th 2008 at 10:09 am.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Why the pillow?

I always take my own pillow. Have huge difficulty in sleeping with a strange (to me) pillow. But I don't have it on the flight, it has to fit in my suitcase. I think lots of people do it because they don't like the idea of snoozing on a pillow that may have had 50 other people dribble on and it's probably a comfort blanket thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.