Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane suburbs

Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane suburbs

Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:07 am
Just Joined

clairegarymc will become famous soon enoughclairegarymc will become famous soon enough
Default Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane suburbs

Hi

I am travelling to Oz in June before starting the visa process. We are going to visit Perth Adelaide Brisbane the Gold and Sunshine Coasts to see which area we like best.

Could anyone tell me what suburbs are really nice and which ones to avoid so we can see as many of them as possible while we are there. I want somewhere with a really good primary school and college as our children will be 16 and 4 and generally a nice place to live.

Thanks in Advance

Claire
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:29 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane suburbs

Hi there clairegarymc,

1) Are you looking to rent long-term? if so, how much do you want to spend per week? $300? $800?

2) Are you looking to buy a place, or maybe...rent for a while, then buy? If so, what is your price range? $250k-$400k ? $1m+?

as you can imagine, the answers will vary according to your responses to the above.

cheers!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:36 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clairegarymc
Hi

I am travelling to Oz in June before starting the visa process. We are going to visit Perth Adelaide Brisbane the Gold and Sunshine Coasts to see which area we like best.

Could anyone tell me what suburbs are really nice and which ones to avoid so we can see as many of them as possible while we are there. I want somewhere with a really good primary school and college as our children will be 16 and 4 and generally a nice place to live.

Thanks in Advance

Claire
You realise that you are talking about cities which encompass a few million people altogether. You will need to give a bit more information before anyone will be able to help.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 11:13 am
Just Joined

clairegarymc will become famous soon enoughclairegarymc will become famous soon enough

Hi

We are looking to rent for a while then once we are settled buy. What we can afford will depend on what we will earn (im looking to work in accountancy and my husband is unskilled). I just want to know which suburbs are worth a visit when we are on holiday to help us decide which part of Australia we want to move to. Once we find jobs we will have more idea which suburb we can afford. Ive never been to Oz and dont have family there so its hard to know which places to check out so we make the right decision on where to head to.

Claire
Old Jan 21st 2008, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

There are approx 275 suburbs in Adelaide, over 300 in Perth and more in Brisbane. That means there are over 800 suburbs to choose from in those three cities. And probably around 1000 suburbs altogether if you're talking about the Gold and Sunshine coasts as well.

You really need to give more info about what you are looking for in a suburb before anyone can possibly help...

Last edited by NickyC; Jan 21st 2008 at 11:54 am.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:03 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

How long is your trip?

Are you planning on doing anything other than driving around to look at suburbs?

My advice.... find out what you think you'll be able to afford, then focus on those areas. No point in looking at suburbs where the houses are a million dollars.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Try here for some info on suburbs: www.ozburbs.com
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:13 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I think we might have scared Claire off with our interrogation.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:15 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
I think we might have scared Claire off with our interrogation.
I hope not, I hope she is sensible enough to realise we can't help until we have more information.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:02 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

There's always the search function
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:40 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

for information and overviews of brisbane suburbs, try looking at ourbrisbane
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all

You need to have a look around I think, before you can really get any idea of what you want to look at. We've only visited Adelaide, but the suburbs just aren't like UK suburbs. Think about the things you want from where you live, not just schools etc. Do you want to be within walking distance from shops? Bus stops? Semi rural? Is privacy really important, or do you want to live close to others? Can you handle 30 mins drive for a pint of milk? Do you want to be able to go out for dinner and both have a drink? Do you want to grow your own veggies, or have a pool? What you know doesn't equal the same in Oz. And thinking about the cities, what kind of atmosphere do you want to live in? How important is it that your kids have oppurtunities on their doorstep?

Think about the reasons you are moving to Oz, and then try and translate them into what kind of place you'd like to live in...

And then everyone will tell you why where they live/ have chosen is the best. Adelaide's great by the way (but keep it quiet!).
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clairegarymc
Hi

Thanks in Advance

Claire
Before you get into the minutae of suburbs and good primary schools try discovering 'greater Australia' on your holiday first.

Be assured that there are many many good suburbs in each of the cities you've mentioned, and in each of those suburbs are many many good schools.

Chill out, enjoy your holiday. Spending x number of weeks trapsing around suburbs and schools will just do your head in . . . you'll have a crap holiday . . . and you'll go away thinking oz is crap also.

Andy