Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Adelaide

Perth or Adelaide

Old Dec 10th 2017, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth or Adelaide

Both places have pro and cons. Quite a lot despair at Adelaide being this and that. I have always liked it but never lived there only visited.

I agree with some comments made regarding the South West of WA. I used to live in Albany, where a new hospital was opened a couple of years back and increasingly improving lifestyle not to say cooler weather, if that's preferable. A very attractive location with lots of British and South Africans and increasing diversity from other regions.Outside of health care things may be a little difficult country wise though.
Bunbury could be another location worth a shot. Nearer to Perth, slightly bigger than Albany and probably better suited for work outside the health area.

If it must be a choice between Adelaide and Perth then not a lot between them. Either would suit at least initially as a location. Adelaide is a little cheaper than Perth and has some great nearby locations.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Both places have pro and cons. Quite a lot despair at Adelaide being this and that. I have always liked it but never lived there only visited.

I agree with some comments made regarding the South West of WA. I used to live in Albany, where a new hospital was opened a couple of years back and increasingly improving lifestyle not to say cooler weather, if that's preferable. A very attractive location with lots of British and South Africans and increasing diversity from other regions.Outside of health care things may be a little difficult country wise though.
Bunbury could be another location worth a shot. Nearer to Perth, slightly bigger than Albany and probably better suited for work outside the health area.

If it must be a choice between Adelaide and Perth then not a lot between them. Either would suit at least initially as a location. Adelaide is a little cheaper than Perth and has some great nearby locations.
I know Albany very, very well and I agree with most of what you write. I think the things holding it back are its population is still too small - less than half that of Bunbury - and old cultural ideas about Albany being a retirement haven. Wheatbelt and Great Southern farmers still aim to go there for their retirements (I know two farmers in my tiny town who just sold their places and are heading down there in 2018) and it does have a noticeably older feel than places like Busselton and Bunbury. British Expats don't know or care about that but Aussie youths do and it does have something of a stigma because of it if you are young and single. There also still aren't enough professional-class jobs in Albany yet to make it an appealing economic alternative to the Perth-Bunbury corridor for regional young adults looking to break away from a career in agriculture.

If you're already married and can get a stable job though - Albany I feel is tough to beat, and the beaches/nature around there is some of the best in Australia.

I know they are trying to broaden their tourism appeal, to include others besides farming families in the southern part of the state who want to camp or have a holiday house at Bremer Bay or Walpole.

If the planned new fish market at Emu Point goes ahead and gains some traction, that will help too with its reputation as an emerging foodie locale.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

I am so glad that I joined this forum, you guys are just so helpful. I cannot thank you all enough!!
Old Dec 10th 2017, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
I know Albany very, very well and I agree with most of what you write. I think the things holding it back are its population is still too small - less than half that of Bunbury - and old cultural ideas about Albany being a retirement haven. Wheatbelt and Great Southern farmers still aim to go there for their retirements (I know two farmers in my tiny town who just sold their places and are heading down there in 2018) and it does have a noticeably older feel than places like Busselton and Bunbury. British Expats don't know or care about that but Aussie youths do and it does have something of a stigma because of it if you are young and single. There also still aren't enough professional-class jobs in Albany yet to make it an appealing economic alternative to the Perth-Bunbury corridor for regional young adults looking to break away from a career in agriculture.

If you're already married and can get a stable job though - Albany I feel is tough to beat, and the beaches/nature around there is some of the best in Australia.

I know they are trying to broaden their tourism appeal, to include others besides farming families in the southern part of the state who want to camp or have a holiday house at Bremer Bay or Walpole.

If the planned new fish market at Emu Point goes ahead and gains some traction, that will help too with its reputation as an emerging foodie locale.
I'm sorry you are wrong there. Both populations are indeed similar in size. But Bunbury is located closer to the city with transport connections (train) and a more populous hinterland covering a very wide distance. (perhaps is what you meant)

The actual population of Albany, last 2016 census, was 37,533. While Bunbury was indeed ahead, coming in at 40,760. Hardly half.

Both have substantial UK born populations. But Albany is ahead here. 8.5% of the Albany population was born in UK. The population increased 2,254 over five years.
The figure for Bunbury is less but similar at 7.1%. Population increased 2,320 over five years.

Hence both are remarkably similar at initial glance.

Albany over recent history has often played second fiddle to Bunbury. They got the first traffic light (BY) a high rise hotel, development on a large scale (Marsden Point) by the old port where a complete new, and rather nice suburb was built right beside the CBD.

Albany is catching up in areas though. A large, modern training hospital has recently been completed. One of only three in country WA.
There is work in social care areas but as noted can be tough in other areas. Indeed a feature of the city is younger people leaving and don't expect that will change in a hurry. But then I know many migrants whose kids left Perth for brighter lights as well. Hence living in Perth or Adelaide will not arrest this, but Albany would be even more likely for sure.

Another thing it is hardly cheap these days. I don't see the cost of living as any cheaper than Perth, necessary. House prices in better areas certainly reflect that.

Albany is WA's leading holiday/tourist town. When last down there in early October, most places were full of tourists from around the world.
Looking in the tourist book noted many with home address noted as Singapore and Malaysia, and certainly noted a lot of Asian tourists around venues.

Albany has developed considerably since the days I lived there. The new entertainment centre of several years standing situated right on the lovely water front, the Sunday Waterfront markets great.
In fact my favourite Indian restaurant is in Albany. But again I do not detect much difference in eating out prices from Perth.

There are some lovely places along The Terrace now to dine and drink and no appearance when I've visited, at least, of some of the rough behaviour that once characterised the place decades before.

Albany needs to play to its strengths. Retirement is a major source and a business to boot. Develop that more to make it attractive. Tourism can be expanded and keeps the city ticking over in part with many cafes relying on high prices paid by tourists.
As an example, a really cute, French provincial style café, with all the trimmings on The Terrace charges $18 for onion soup. I don't recall ever paying that sort of price anywhere in France.......but a very pleasant ambiance.

For those in social care, I include mid wife here, it is worth checking out, if something other than a suburban existence in a Perth suburb, certainly not for all, saying that small city living not for all either. But worth a consideration.

Bunbury certainly worth consideration as well. Then I don't mind Adelaide either .........

Last edited by the troubadour; Dec 10th 2017 at 10:20 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 10:56 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely love Albany, I have friends there and until I left Oz would visit at least 5 times a year. If we return to Australia, that's where we'll be living.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I am not wrong - the population of Bunbury and suburbs is 67,000 (according to ABS) not 40,000. So, yes, half.

It is also much bigger just based on the eye test and you can tell that just driving around. I don't find the two places to be similar, I find Albany much nicer.

It still is viewed as a retirement community and school-leavers from the farming areas make a bee-line for Perth. They don't want to go to Albany. Young families who can get jobs, however, do want to go there and for good reason. Albany is not a place for the singles scenes but good if you are looking to settle down.

The rough behaviour is still there just they do a good job now of keeping it away from the tourist areas and places like The Terrace. I do concur the restaurant scene had improved a lot.

I do agree with you about the cost of living - the areas of Albany where you can get a really cheap house are not places one would want to live. I don't find it any more or less expensive than Perth.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by carcajou
I am not wrong - the population of Bunbury and suburbs is 67,000 (according to ABS) not 40,000. So, yes, half.

It is also much bigger just based on the eye test and you can tell that just driving around. I don't find the two places to be similar, I find Albany much nicer.

It still is viewed as a retirement community and school-leavers from the farming areas make a bee-line for Perth. They don't want to go to Albany. Young families who can get jobs, however, do want to go there and for good reason. Albany is not a place for the singles scenes but good if you are looking to settle down.

The rough behaviour is still there just they do a good job now of keeping it away from the tourist areas and places like The Terrace. I do concur the restaurant scene had improved a lot.

I do agree with you about the cost of living - the areas of Albany where you can get a really cheap house are not places one would want to live. I don't find it any more or less expensive than Perth.
I have lived in both as well. Please consult the demographic stats. Both are similar in population. I have the figures given in my previous post. Both are rather spread out. You must be including areas like Brunswick and Australind and Harvey. Not Bunbury suburbs as such. Even then it must be wide spread indeed to amount to 67,000 thousand, But what is termed Bunbury is about two thousand plus more than Albany.

I have not said that they are similar in anything but population(which is true) and both are major regional cities, a rarity in the WA context. There are some similarities in both are ports, by the sea with a not to dissimilar sixe CBD. Bunbury being a little bigger. Bunbury is far more working class (in blue collar sense) Albany less so, especially since the loss of a lot of its industry from whaling, to woollen mills to meat works in town.

Hence Albany these days is more 'refined' IMO, certainly compared the days passed when it was certainly rough. But you are right more unsavourily types not as visible as once but under currents exist of course. Quite large pockets of social exclusion and issues including drugs blight both places.

There are plans to expand the university there. Already student lodgings are going up just up the road from the uni (in the old post office)

I have often thought Albany should have greater focus on arts and promotion and become a small version of St Ives, in Cornwall in that sense. It has similar stunning coastline to Cornwall .......but I suppose we fall back on sustainability with a low population base ......

Last edited by the troubadour; Dec 11th 2017 at 12:06 am.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Absolutely love Albany, I have friends there and until I left Oz would visit at least 5 times a year. If we return to Australia, that's where we'll be living.
Yes lovely spot in many ways. We have looked at housing over recent years down year, but can't get over the price rise over fifteen years or less. The better areas are similar in price to areas close to Perth CBD. Middleton Beach will probably go through the roof with the construction of the new hotel and amenities at that location. Already close to a million dollars in some cases and high 800,000s at the places we looked.

Perhaps renting may prove a better option. Although on other occasions I come to the conclusion, better leave it as a pleasant 'getaway' for breaks from the metro a few times a year. One does become very 'noticeable' in places like Albany over a short time.

Another factor, while a major centre for retirement, in case of certain serious illness people had to be treated in Perth. This is likely not quite as relevant with the 'new' hospital, but limitations, I believe still remain, so the need is unlikely to dissipate completely any time soon.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

At the end of the day I would allow work to dictate location. Not the reverse. There is little point being in a place where work proves difficult to obtain.
Australia is an expensive country. There is no other way to describe it.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 7:53 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yes lovely spot in many ways. We have looked at housing over recent years down year, but can't get over the price rise over fifteen years or less. The better areas are similar in price to areas close to Perth CBD. Middleton Beach will probably go through the roof with the construction of the new hotel and amenities at that location. Already close to a million dollars in some cases and high 800,000s at the places we looked.

Perhaps renting may prove a better option. Although on other occasions I come to the conclusion, better leave it as a pleasant 'getaway' for breaks from the metro a few times a year. One does become very 'noticeable' in places like Albany over a short time.

Another factor, while a major centre for retirement, in case of certain serious illness people had to be treated in Perth. This is likely not quite as relevant with the 'new' hospital, but limitations, I believe still remain, so the need is unlikely to dissipate completely any time soon.
I could only live in Albany town centre, or maybe Mount Melville within walking distance to the centre. After living in the UK I'm used to be able to walk to everything I need
Old Dec 11th 2017, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Having lived in Australia (Melbourne and Adelaide) for longer than the average Aussie has been alive, I don’t know why some people criticise Adelaide as if it is an outer suburb of Alice Springs!

With a population of 1.3 million and very spacious, it is a step up from any British city outside of London. I agree that it doesn’t have the big city buzz of Sydney or Melbourne, but if you want quality of life, Adelaide is hard to beat. It hasn’t become the world’s 6th most liveable city for several years for nothing.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I could only live in Albany town centre, or maybe Mount Melville within walking distance to the centre. After living in the UK I'm used to be able to walk to everything I need
I agree, although I would stretch my desired area to of course Middleton Beach (which is walkable done it many a time or cycled) possibly Emu Point, as do the beach walk most mornings from Middleton to Emu when there.....

I used to live in Port Albany, although not sure it was called that when there. Only a five minute walk to The Terrace. It was before the improvements though with Dylans on The Terrace being perhaps the main feature.

Definitely prefer walking everywhere. Something I dearly miss from London days. The Albany bus service is hardly sustainable with a very limited route and timetable.

I saw a house in Festing Street (in town) $800,000 plus. An old refurbished one, nice but really inflated. It seemed to be removed from listings when looked three weeks later. It is possible to buy in the dress circle (so called) close to the beach for that price. What were they thinking? Throwing a line in and seeing if any bites would be my guess.

Sorry not meaning to make this an Albany thread, (it could almost be dissected and Albany related issues have a stand alone thread?)

But I did think it worth, someone in the social/health care industry to consider prospects outside the capital cities.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by aries
Having lived in Australia (Melbourne and Adelaide) for longer than the average Aussie has been alive, I don’t know why some people criticise Adelaide as if it is an outer suburb of Alice Springs!

With a population of 1.3 million and very spacious, it is a step up from any British city outside of London. I agree that it doesn’t have the big city buzz of Sydney or Melbourne, but if you want quality of life, Adelaide is hard to beat. It hasn’t become the world’s 6th most liveable city for several years for nothing.
I'm very cautious at using slogans like 6th best city in the world to live in, as the measurements are for business travellers and hence things like real estate costs are not included . As much as I like Adelaide, I would find it hard to rate it so high on a world scale, although Melbourne/Vancouver ratings yearly in well over the top for average people.

Besides that Adelaide is a fine city, if a little quiet. It wouldn't suit all tastes but neither does Perth. Never heard it called a burb of Alice Springs (a city I lived a month and probably the worst in Australia, IMO)

Do I detect a degree of 'home sickness' on your part for SA? I believe you are in Torquay? I tried England for living in 2010 but London. I'm afraid the experience wasn't what I would have hoped. What's the saying about returning to the past?

England holds little interest these days in the sense of living. European mainland more so but hardly issue free.

Saying that Australia is not without a list of issues as well. IMO, Sydney is all but unaffordable, (been there twice this year) but still cheaper than going out in Perth, which was inflated badly by the resource industry boom. Please not another one anytime soon. Seriously damaging for financial health .....
Old Dec 11th 2017, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, although I would stretch my desired area to of course Middleton Beach (which is walkable done it many a time or cycled) possibly Emu Point, as do the beach walk most mornings from Middleton to Emu when there.....

I used to live in Port Albany, although not sure it was called that when there. Only a five minute walk to The Terrace. It was before the improvements though with Dylans on The Terrace being perhaps the main feature.

Definitely prefer walking everywhere. Something I dearly miss from London days. The Albany bus service is hardly sustainable with a very limited route and timetable.

I saw a house in Festing Street (in town) $800,000 plus. An old refurbished one, nice but really inflated. It seemed to be removed from listings when looked three weeks later. It is possible to buy in the dress circle (so called) close to the beach for that price. What were they thinking? Throwing a line in and seeing if any bites would be my guess.

Sorry not meaning to make this an Albany thread, (it could almost be dissected and Albany related issues have a stand alone thread?)

But I did think it worth, someone in the social/health care industry to consider prospects outside the capital cities.
I really appreciate your Input so don't apologise. I have been looking into Bunbury and Mandurah today 😄
Old Dec 12th 2017, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Clacfart
I really appreciate your Input so don't apologise. I have been looking into Bunbury and Mandurah today 😄
Right you are then. My thoughts on Bunbury. Unless can afford to live close to centre, I'm not sure I'd bother. Well I'll refine that. Check out the suburb well. Bunbury has some serious 'social issues' in areas and quite an extensive drug problem.
Saying that Marsden Point is lovely by the sea front, walkable to city centre and beaches. I almost bought a place there when it was being built. I certainly should have done as prices have near doubled.

Somewhere close enough otherwise like Australind may suit for living. Capel has seen growth of population in recent years. Brunswick perhaps? Don't recall of hand what it is like these days.

Mandurah from a personal level I don't much care for. There are a considerable disparity between those with money and those without, shall we say, and social problems to match.
It looks 'very' nice in pictures and many UK people seem to be attracted to it. The waterfront looks nice, in a sterile sort of way IMO. House prices have dropped quite considerably in recent years, so an interesting prospect in that sense.
Beaches are rather nice there and the Perth/Metro train line concludes there. So it definitely has plus points.

I've seen another side of it which has certainly 'coloured' my perceptions somewhat.
Lots to chew over anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.