Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth - accommodation

Perth - accommodation

Old Jun 20th 2019, 11:56 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth - accommodation

Originally Posted by J___Mcewan
I understand what the majority do with a WHV, but it can also be used to get ur foot on the ground, and seek out opportunities that can lead to sponsorship. Gaining the necessary points for skilled pr is a lengthy process, going the WHV to employer sponsorship is just another route to gaining pr. Not everyone who gets a WHV, intends to do bar work or fruit picking
Understood, however in current economical climate, that’s a pipe dream by many on WHVs. Plenty of local people, with local contacts, who’ve spent years in mines earning big bucks, only to see end of mining boom and working now smaller jobs waiting for upturn. My question is, how do you compare? Australia is very much “who do you know” and everyone knows someone who knows someone and a resident or citizen will always come first as employers don’t have to pay nothing. All the luck for trying, just pointing the facts. WHV USED to be a door in, it hasn’t been in years.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

J___Mcewan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by teza

Understood, however in current economical climate, that’s a pipe dream by many on WHVs. Plenty of local people, with local contacts, who’ve spent years in mines earning big bucks, only to see end of mining boom and working now smaller jobs waiting for upturn. My question is, how do you compare? Australia is very much “who do you know” and everyone knows someone who knows someone and a resident or citizen will always come first as employers don’t have to pay nothing. All the luck for trying, just pointing the facts. WHV USED to be a door in, it hasn’t been in years.
If engineers weren't wanted in Australia, they wouldn't be on the MLTSSL. Therefore, there is clearly a requirement for engineers in Australia regardless of the visa you are on. Yes the WHV route is risky, but I personally know people who have recently been offered sponsorship on a WHV. I went for an interview today, and we spoke about sponsorship after 6 months. It is certainly possible
Old Jun 20th 2019, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

charliecapaldi1 is an unknown quantity at this point

If engineers weren't wanted in Australia, they wouldn't be on the MLTSSL. Therefore, there is clearly a requirement for engineers in Australia regardless of the visa you are on. Yes the WHV route is risky, but I personally know people who have recently been offered sponsorship on a WHV. I went for an interview today, and we spoke about sponsorship after 6 months. It is certainly possible

This is good to hear
Old Jun 20th 2019, 12:38 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

but my point being, if you want PR, you go for skilled migration, it’s on the list for a reason. What you want is sponsoring, company has to fork out, Versus you have to fork out for skills assessment, visa etc. Think about it, will company

fork out with plenty of locals (citizens and PRs) around?
Old Jun 20th 2019, 11:28 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charliecapaldi1

This is good to hear
Bear in mind that person is not in Perth. Perth is very much a small, "who you know, not what you know" place where there's a glut of mining professionals/trades who are all looking for work after they've been laid off. Why would an employer who doesn't know you from a bar of soap hire you, on a WHV where you can only work there for 6 month max and have no hope of being permanent, over his brother's mate's son who's a citizen and won't require sponsorship?