Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth - accommodation

Perth - accommodation

Old Jun 19th 2019, 8:45 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth - accommodation

Originally Posted by charliecapaldi1
Amazulu
Try using the "QUOTE" button so people know.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 10:51 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Could I give you a shout for when I come over? Or do you know any good recruitment agency’s over there mate?
what people are trying to tell you very gently, you’re planning a good paying job in a place where mining boom went bust and those with heaps of local knowledge and contacts have taken much lower paying jobs hoping for a pick up. So you, on a visa with restrictions and no contacts, brings what to the table against those whose former workmates still holding on to a job want the best workers back? WHV is bar work, fruit picking etc, not what it was at boom time
Old Jun 19th 2019, 12:40 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Could I give you a shout for when I come over? Or do you know any good recruitment agency’s over there mate?
Try:
Technical Resources
Titan Recruitment
Execom
Darryl Mills (on Linkedin)
Old Jun 19th 2019, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

charliecapaldi1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Old Jun 20th 2019, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

J___Mcewan is an unknown quantity at this point

Why is everybody always so negative towards the whv on this forum? Seems the minute you mention a whv and skilled work, everybody jumps on the bandwagon to say you won't get anything in engineering or other skilled professions.

Who in their right mind is going to pick fruit when they have an engineering degree and experience?

I have been in Melbourne for 4 days and secured an interview the second day I was here...
Old Jun 20th 2019, 3:41 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J___Mcewan
Why is everybody always so negative towards the whv on this forum? Seems the minute you mention a whv and skilled work, everybody jumps on the bandwagon to say you won't get anything in engineering or other skilled professions.

Who in their right mind is going to pick fruit when they have an engineering degree and experience?

I have been in Melbourne for 4 days and secured an interview the second day I was here...
No one has said it's impossible, but rather have pointed out that given the restrictions of a WHV it's far from easy to walk into a professional position - and it is far from easy.

Nothing to do with 'bandwagons' and everything to do with providing the facts. Not sure why you seem have a problem with that.

Old Jun 20th 2019, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
No one has said it's impossible, but rather have pointed out that given the restrictions of a WHV it's far from easy to walk into a professional position - and it is far from easy.

Nothing to do with 'bandwagons' and everything to do with providing the facts. Not sure why you seem have a problem with that.
All the facts are located on the home affairs website, I'm pretty sure people familiarise themselves with the visa before going ahead with it, unless they are stupid of course.

Skilled work is far from impossible, if you intend to just do casual work, instead of pursuing a longer term visa, such as the 482 - then yes it may be difficult. But if you are intending on securing long term work then it is not difficult.

I feel any post I go on regarding a whv and skilled work, its the same everytime "you wont get work" "just do bar work or fruit picking" do you honestly believe someone who is degree educated in engineering is going to come over and pick fruit?

Anyway, rant over
Old Jun 20th 2019, 4:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Relax

Many engineering/project companies won't consider you if you don't have, at least, PR. That's a fact. In my backpacking days, I also managed to get engineering work - for ABB at their HV switchgear factory in Sydney (I had a few years of experience in this area at the time, so it worked out well), but I was the exception, not the norm. Most of the other backpackers I hung out with were doing menial work - despite many of them having degrees. It can happen but is not common. Backpackers can sometimes get really well paid jobs on mine sites, but again, it's not normal

What's wrong with picking fruit? We've had a Belgian backpacker doing some work for us at home (via HelpX). He's also been doing plenty of fruit picking and farm work - even though he has a masters degree in electrical engineering. He's made pretty good coin and has just bought a really nice Mitsubishi Pajero to travel around Australia in. And if you want to get an extra year in Australia, you've got to go rural for at least 3 months
Old Jun 20th 2019, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Relax

Many engineering/project companies won't consider you if you don't have, at least, PR. That's a fact. In my backpacking days, I also managed to get engineering work - for ABB at their HV switchgear factory in Sydney (I had a few years of experience in this area at the time, so it worked out well), but I was the exception, not the norm. Most of the other backpackers I hung out with were doing menial work - despite many of them having degrees. It can happen but is not common. Backpackers can sometimes get really well paid jobs on mine sites, but again, it's not normal

What's wrong with picking fruit? We've had a Belgian backpacker doing some work for us at home (via HelpX). He's also been doing plenty of fruit picking and farm work - even though he has a masters degree in electrical engineering. He's made pretty good coin and has just bought a really nice Mitsubishi Pajero to travel around Australia in. And if you want to get an extra year in Australia, you've got to go rural for at least 3 months
Maybe its just me, but to do 4 - 5 years in uni and whatever expereince you have - to come to australia to then do fruit picking is mind boggling lol. Surely you come to australia to better your life, career wise and standard of living. Just me?
Old Jun 20th 2019, 5:16 am
Proudly Deplorable

Maybe its just me, but to do 4 - 5 years in uni and whatever expereince you have - to come to australia to then do fruit picking is mind boggling lol. Surely you come to australia to better your life, career wise and standard of living. Just me?
But if you're here as a backpacker, it's just to travel, experience new stuff and have fun. Now this can certainly better your life, sometimes in ways that are not immediately measurable - but it is decidedly not about your career and SOL. The stated purpose of the WHV is most definitely not about your career and SOL - so I'd say it's just you
Old Jun 20th 2019, 5:18 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I do understand what you're saying, but if people want to move to Australia to progress their career and they're degree educated, then applying for a permanent resident visa rather than a temporary holiday visa is the way to go.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 5:21 am
Concierge

All the facts are located on the home affairs website, I'm pretty sure people familiarise themselves with the visa before going ahead with it, unless they are stupid of course.

Pretty sure you won't find current, relevant advice from 'people on the ground' such as Amazulu on the home affairs website.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I do understand what you're saying, but if people want to move to Australia to progress their career and they're degree educated, then applying for a permanent resident visa rather than a temporary holiday visa is the way to go.
True
Old Jun 20th 2019, 11:21 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

i get what you’re saying, and that’s what skilled migration is for. WHV is to help rural areas to gain workers, they don’t care about your degree, they rely on young travelers to help with work. Don’t take it personally. You want something more permanent, aim for skilled migration.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by teza

i get what you’re saying, and that’s what skilled migration is for. WHV is to help rural areas to gain workers, they don’t care about your degree, they rely on young travelers to help with work. Don’t take it personally. You want something more permanent, aim for skilled migration.
I understand what the majority do with a WHV, but it can also be used to get ur foot on the ground, and seek out opportunities that can lead to sponsorship. Gaining the necessary points for skilled pr is a lengthy process, going the WHV to employer sponsorship is just another route to gaining pr. Not everyone who gets a WHV, intends to do bar work or fruit picking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.