Perth.

Old Jan 27th 2010, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold
Default Perth.

We are looking at Perth and the surrounding areas as a location to settle our family into. Anyone have any thing nice to say about any areas that we might find nice to settle in, and/or any areas that seem to be on the way down etc?
Hope this makes sense to everyone
We are a married couple with four children, two over fifteen and two under four i blame the water hubby just grins...
I have a nursing job in the UK (nhs) done it for eleven years now, time to expand my horizons, the hubby works in the metals industry as a hands on manager, but also done other jobs.
Our eldest daughter is at college doing her A levels for university, she wants a law based career
So local college unis would be good, also junior and infants schools close to hand would be nice.
What a wish list
Anyone...
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice
Default Re: Perth.

Hi

Have you definitely decided it's Perth where you want to go?

If you look at my Melbourne/Peth pros and cons thread you might get an idea of what people are saying about Perth at the moment.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:55 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
Hi

Have you definitely decided it's Perth where you want to go?

If you look at my Melbourne/Peth pros and cons thread you might get an idea of what people are saying about Perth at the moment.
I agree with Suzy especially with older children you might want to look at somewhere with more nightlife clubs etc, although Perth is nice it can seem boring for teenagers especially if they have been brought up in a major city.
Good luck whatever you decide
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Afew nurses i knew in Perth (who emigrated from UK) had to take alot less pay and were underdogs. Very annoying if you are leaving a higher rank in UK.

But it's the price we pay when emigrating.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

2plus3 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by deb68
We are looking at Perth and the surrounding areas as a location to settle our family into. Anyone have any thing nice to say about any areas that we might find nice to settle in, and/or any areas that seem to be on the way down etc?
Hope this makes sense to everyone
We are a married couple with four children, two over fifteen and two under four i blame the water hubby just grins...
I have a nursing job in the UK (nhs) done it for eleven years now, time to expand my horizons, the hubby works in the metals industry as a hands on manager, but also done other jobs.
Our eldest daughter is at college doing her A levels for university, she wants a law based career
So local college unis would be good, also junior and infants schools close to hand would be nice.
What a wish list
Anyone...
Hiya

The only words of wisdom I can personally give you are that its virtually impossible to decide on an area or areas before you actually visit them for yourself.

We visited Perth to validate our visa and we had a long list of areas that we liked the sound of from looking at real estate sites and talking to people on site like this one - the bottom line is that for one reason or another we disliked virtually every single area we went to and ended up liking areas we hadn't even considered.

Following on from our reccie visit we have decided that Perth is not where we want to emigrate to (lots of reasons, most of which are echoed on here time and time again by those who have experienced Perth and Melbourne) and so we are heading for Melbourne instead and can't wait

All the best.

Kari
Old Jan 28th 2010, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne UK to Helensville Nz to Secret Harbour Perth WA
donki is an unknown quantity at this point

check the transperth website make sure your at least on a bus route otherwise you'll end up being a constant taxi
Old Jan 28th 2010, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for replies guys, we did originally consider Cairns north Queensland, but decided against it as the humidity readings look so high shame really as my husband liked the look of it (all be it from a monitor screen over the net).
We also looked at Brisbane, and to be honest it still might be a toss up between there and Perth
Totally agree that the only true way to decide would be to be there in person, but having little spare time and money to fly here and there for a look see is not really a viable option at the minute But i get your point.
Thanks again for replies
Old Jan 28th 2010, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Thanks for replies guys, we did originally consider Cairns north Queensland, but decided against it as the humidity readings look so high shame really as my husband liked the look of it (all be it from a monitor screen over the net).
We also looked at Brisbane, and to be honest it still might be a toss up between there and Perth
Totally agree that the only true way to decide would be to be there in person, but having little spare time and money to fly here and there for a look see is not really a viable option at the minute But i get your point.
Thanks again for replies
That's very true, its so far it's not like you can get a cheap flight with ryanair and have a look round for a couple of days. We've been lucky we've been to Oz twice now and seen Perth, Brisbane, and Melbourne and Melbourne's definitely the place for us. Perth looks nice on the tv and when I see it I always think 'oh lets just move to Perth' but then I have to remember what I thought of it when I was I was there and look at the bigger picture really and it's not all about the blue sea and white sandy beaches, it's about what life's really like there and if you can't get there the only other way of finding out is to come on a forum like this and seeing what people who live there say and I've gotta say it makes for interesting reading. Your younger kids might like it, the older ones might not.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

2plus3 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
Perth looks nice on the tv and when I see it I always think 'oh lets just move to Perth' but then I have to remember what I thought of it when I was I was there and look at the bigger picture really and it's not all about the blue sea and white sandy beaches, it's about what life's really like there
100% agreement with this statement, even watching the Phil Down Under programme last Friday I was drawn to thinking about Perth again - we even have relatives in Perth and it would make so much sense for us to move there to have their help BUT as we've been there and saw things for ourselves it's definitely not where we want to head.

I'm very much looking to going to Perth for a summer holiday at some stage though as we visited in the winter and it rained for almost the entire 4 weeks we were there

Kari
Old Jan 28th 2010, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

loubie will become famous soon enough

Hi

The thing about immigrating is that everyones experience of a place is going to be completely different and obviosly you won't know until you do it. Some brits that I knew( most in fact ) loved their new life and would never go back , and some couldn't wait to get back to blighty and hated it. Then you get the ping pong pommes who just can't decide. ( we are probably in the latter category )

We lived in Perth for four years , my partner is a nurse and I started my own business . She had worked in Mental Health and learning dis for a tad longer than you in the UK , and carried on in Perth without taking a pay cut. Agency work also can pay VERY well. She did mention however, that if you are in management at the moment , you may not neccesarily get an equivalent postion and may have to take a step back to start with. She also mentions there are other benefits working for government organisations in health such as ' salary packaging ' which is tax deductable up to approx. $16,000 per year of living expenses.

To answer your question I can tell you about the Northeren suburbs as that is where my experience lies. We moved originally to Mullaloo - look it up - quite a few Brits , but then they're everywhere - its 25 mins from Perth and one of the more expensive suburbs to live in because of its location on the beach side of the Marmion and glorious beach
If you can't afford that there are other close suburbs away from the beach or further from Perth that might be considerably cheaper for similar properties. Google map the other side of the marmion in the north and check out these suburbs like Heathridge , Connolly , Currambine .

We bought a place in Quinns Rocks , not bad in the old part , but it didn't work for us and we decided to sell and move back for the time being .

Please get in touch if theres anything else , glad to help.

Dave
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

chrisandelaine is an unknown quantity at this point

great great reviews thanks all, as we have been looking at perth to move there, but i think i will be looking into cities to make sure it suits us all right.

wife is a nurse, i am able to do anything lol, have 2 kids 3 and 8 both girls. the most important thing wud be to get a great school for the girls, and decent job for wife. every other plus will be great, like beaches, parks, activities etc.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brilliant responses again Our top priority would be schooling then jobs, yeah it would be nice to be over looking crashing waves and have no one either side of us etc etc blah blah, but to be honest we need to get rid of the UK from our systems, i am as english as the next (it's my birth country) but we have to think of our children and our childrens children. We work hard and like to play harder, your restricted here in the UK, take for example we are lucky enough to also own a large touring caravan, and we like nothing more than getting out and about most weekends, especially in the 'summer' months (yes my tongue is at present lodged firmly in the side of my mouth) summer/sun
Either way we still go rain or shine, the kids love it to
We have been looking at flight costs from the UK out to Australia my don't the prices vary from operator to operator
Our medicals are booked for next week (another expense) we are waiting for our winter gas/electric bill to land on the mat thats going to hurt, on that point whats the running cost for your gas/ electric or does it vary across that vast country?
Thanks again.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

chrisandelaine is an unknown quantity at this point

Brilliant responses again Our top priority would be schooling then jobs, yeah it would be nice to be over looking crashing waves and have no one either side of us etc etc blah blah, but to be honest we need to get rid of the UK from our systems, i am as english as the next (it's my birth country) but we have to think of our children and our childrens children. We work hard and like to play harder, your restricted here in the UK, take for example we are lucky enough to also own a large touring caravan, and we like nothing more than getting out and about most weekends, especially in the 'summer' months (yes my tongue is at present lodged firmly in the side of my mouth) summer/sun
Either way we still go rain or shine, the kids love it to
We have been looking at flight costs from the UK out to Australia my don't the prices vary from operator to operator
Our medicals are booked for next week (another expense) we are waiting for our winter gas/electric bill to land on the mat thats going to hurt, on that point whats the running cost for your gas/ electric or does it vary across that vast country?
Thanks again.

here here to all u say lol. i know what u mean another expence lol lets just hope its all worth it when we make the move lol.
talking of bills our last elec bill was £375. but have got used to the high living cosr over here in N.Irelan, its a joke. and then to have and sit in while it rains constanly lol.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:42 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Generally avoid IMO
  • Balga
  • Mirrabooka
  • Balcatta
  • Girrawheen
  • Wanneroo
  • Midland (centre)
  • High Wycombe
  • Belmont (parts)
  • Cannington (parts)
  • Thornlie
  • Gosnells
  • Armadale (main centre)
  • Langford
  • Maddington (parts)
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 1:55 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

I am a mental health nurse with too many years of experience behind me! Was a band 6 prior to emigrating - took a marginal pay cut (lower grade but good penalties) and went part time. Learnt the system and have now had a significant promotion with decent pay - have gone back full time.
Me and my family love Perth, the opportunities it can offer, the slower, less frantic pace of life, the beach life style (my kids & husband have got into it in a big way! Surf life saving etc), family time and shops shut on a sunday-HOORAY!!!!!
Other hate the things I love but it would be dull world if we all liked the same things!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.