Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth 3 months in and........

Perth 3 months in and........

Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:18 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Perth 3 months in and........

We finally have broadband!!!!!!
Now the real update..........

This could be a long one so grab a cuppa and a pack of biccys!!! Whilst waiting for the visa reading others updates kinda kept me hopeful that one day that would be me and here i am 3 months on and loving life in Perth.

Just in case nobody remembers me we are a family of 5 me hubby and 3 girls 13/10 and 4 we arrived in Perth on the 16th of April after never even visiting Australia picked up our hire car (Avis collected from airport dropped off in Joondalup excellent) and headed for our 6 week rental that we had organised!!!
That first 6 weeks have got to be theeeeeeeeeeeeeeee most stressful 6 weeks i can remember EVEN more stressful than the visa application trying to rebuild your life and put roots in a place you have never even visited was extremley daunting especially when you have 3 kids in tow. Although that now feels like a distant memory!!!
CAR HUNTING
Finding 2 cars we found absoloute hell I just wanted a small runaround for taking kids to school shopping etc Rob being a bloke wanted the truck!!! We ended up with a hire car for an extra 2 weeks i ended up with a new car i couldnt believe the price of 2nd hand cars anything that looked safe to drive i found not much cheaper than buying new (and believe me we went everywhere) Rob ended up with the dual cab ute couople of years old very tidy luvly!! (ecept it wasnt a 4 wheel drive) JUST A QUICK NOTE WHEN YOU BUY A CAR OVER HERE YOU SIGN AN AGREEMENT TO BUY(CANT REMEMBER THE PROPER NAME) ONCE YOU SIGN THAT YOU ARE HAVE SIGNED A CONTRACT TO BUY SO DONT SIGHN ANYTHING UNLESS YOU ARE SURE!!
PLASTERING WORK
Rob being a plasterer bought the West Australian paper to check out the job situation and there are loads !! Rob rung one guy but it seemed that because Rob was English didnt want to know he had apparently taken on a few brits who had been rubbish hey ho any way he got a start through another contact joining a team which for skimming he needed to as the plastering system here is totally different they use a lime base which has putty added to it (or something like that) so he worked in this team for about 3 weeks but they were horrendous they smoked dope all day Rob was working his nuts off for rubbish money BUT it done him a favour as he learnt the system and is now subcontracting and just working on his own earning good money .
HOUSE HUNTING
House hunting again was hell the prices are ridiculous and also as we were not sure of suburbs etc were going in circles we were renting in Kinross for 6 weeks but just didnt like the feel of kinross its a perfectly nice clean suburb my eldest daughter goes to Kinross College and loves it but for us it didnt have the right feel although at the time we were looking at ocean reef ,quinns, Iluka all the beach side locations which unfortunatley were out of our reach as when we were looking Rob wasnt working we had no idea what he was realistically going to be earning so we erred on the side of caution and let our brains take over our hearts and ended up in Carramar which is a whole 10 minutes from the ocean!!! Im sooooo glad we did we have a nice house with the all important pool our verandah overlooks a couple of roofs but then the bush and it also face s the direction of the sunset which is fantastic.The kids play out the front with the other kids (we live in a cul de sac so quite safe !!! So although ideally would love the big ocean front house we are happy here for now!!

All 3 of the girls have settled REALLY well my eldest has a great group of friends and even after just 8 weeks of being here it was her 13th birthday i was concerned about her not having made good enough mates to have a party but i neednt have worried she had a fab bbq with all her mates they all ended up in the pool (freezing) but she had a really fun night .
My 10 year old goes to Carramar primary and again has made good friends and settled really quickly!!
My youngest bless er has gone from full time school in England to Kindy here which as Carramar is full and Kindy isnt compulsary i have got her into lake joondalup kindy which she loves although really its like play school in England but shes happy and will start pre primary in February!!!

SHIPPERS

We have been really lucky we moved out of our rental straight into our own home on the Saturday our stuff arrived Monday all in one piece we used overs from the UK and kents unpacked it here, although i do have to say that overs packed pot pourri and the muddiest pair of wellies you have ever seen so lucky they were never picked up at customs!!!!

HOMESICKNESS

I was totally unprepared for the homesickness although i have renamed it people sickness as i dont miss ANYTHING about the uk at all (ok maybe tescos a tiny bit oh and Primark) but missing people is really hard to deal with i dont think you ever get over it just learn to live with it!!!

All in all we are really happy here (and its winter) we do something different almost every weekend we have a good social circle and have already made some really good friends which for me is a huge bonus to meet people is fairly easy but to meet friends who you can trust, rely on and turn to when feeling crap this early on in our new life is amazing and i feel extremeley lucky those people im not sure if they visit this site much but they know who they are!!!

I think that should have bored everyone to tears by now good luck to those still on there journey here !!!

Be Happy

Kris xx
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:50 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth 3 months in and........

I'm so pleased for you! You've really got stuck in and gone for it - well done

I'm glad you're enjoying it and most importantly glad the kids have settled so well and so quickly bless them.

Kath xx
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Perth 3 months in and........

How inspiring! I wish you and your family continued and long happiness!

I hope me and OH can post something so positive so early on into our new life later this year - visa permitting (touch wood/plastic/formica).

Paula
Old Jul 7th 2006, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Silky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of light

That's lovely, really good to read and glad you're settling to life in Auz so well. We're hopefully leaving here on 21st August for rural NSW if the house goes through ok early next week!

Best wishes,

Sara
Old Jul 7th 2006, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silky Chicken
That's lovely, really good to read and glad you're settling to life in Auz so well. We're hopefully leaving here on 21st August for rural NSW if the house goes through ok early next week!

Best wishes,

Sara
great to hear - you were just leaving when I first started logging on to forum so great to catch up now you're settled - as everyone says, lets hope we're all so lucky! You've obviously worked very hard and I don't envy dealing with older children's problems - well done!

Hey Sara, nice to see I'm not the only one going rural - made me laugh when Kris said they're a whole ten mins from sea - we'll be about 2 hrs!!!
Old Jul 7th 2006, 11:41 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Good that you are settling in
Not to shabby here is it?
Old Jul 7th 2006, 12:28 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Kris, brill post

Will phone you if/when we get there! still waiting for exchange on house!
Old Jul 7th 2006, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

noonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to all

Glad to hear you're settling in - I look forward to being where you are! And thanks for the heads up on the car buying - I knew second hand cars were pricey but I had no idea about the contract thing!

Oh and Perthforme - loving the avatar! Giggedy giggedy!
Old Jul 7th 2006, 1:05 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by noonard

Oh and Perthforme - loving the avatar! Giggedy giggedy!
Alright
Old Jul 7th 2006, 1:08 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kris maynard

This could be a long one so grab a cuppa and a pack of biccys!!! Whilst waiting for the visa reading others updates kinda kept me hopeful that one day that would be me and here i am 3 months on and loving life in Perth.

Just in case nobody remembers me we are a family of 5 me hubby and 3 girls 13/10 and 4 we arrived in Perth on the 16th of April after never even visiting Australia picked up our hire car (Avis collected from airport dropped off in Joondalup excellent) and headed for our 6 week rental that we had organised!!!
That first 6 weeks have got to be theeeeeeeeeeeeeeee most stressful 6 weeks i can remember EVEN more stressful than the visa application trying to rebuild your life and put roots in a place you have never even visited was extremley daunting especially when you have 3 kids in tow. Although that now feels like a distant memory!!!
CAR HUNTING
Finding 2 cars we found absoloute hell I just wanted a small runaround for taking kids to school shopping etc Rob being a bloke wanted the truck!!! We ended up with a hire car for an extra 2 weeks i ended up with a new car i couldnt believe the price of 2nd hand cars anything that looked safe to drive i found not much cheaper than buying new (and believe me we went everywhere) Rob ended up with the dual cab ute couople of years old very tidy luvly!! (ecept it wasnt a 4 wheel drive) JUST A QUICK NOTE WHEN YOU BUY A CAR OVER HERE YOU SIGN AN AGREEMENT TO BUY(CANT REMEMBER THE PROPER NAME) ONCE YOU SIGN THAT YOU ARE HAVE SIGNED A CONTRACT TO BUY SO DONT SIGHN ANYTHING UNLESS YOU ARE SURE!!
PLASTERING WORK
Rob being a plasterer bought the West Australian paper to check out the job situation and there are loads !! Rob rung one guy but it seemed that because Rob was English didnt want to know he had apparently taken on a few brits who had been rubbish hey ho any way he got a start through another contact joining a team which for skimming he needed to as the plastering system here is totally different they use a lime base which has putty added to it (or something like that) so he worked in this team for about 3 weeks but they were horrendous they smoked dope all day Rob was working his nuts off for rubbish money BUT it done him a favour as he learnt the system and is now subcontracting and just working on his own earning good money .
HOUSE HUNTING
House hunting again was hell the prices are ridiculous and also as we were not sure of suburbs etc were going in circles we were renting in Kinross for 6 weeks but just didnt like the feel of kinross its a perfectly nice clean suburb my eldest daughter goes to Kinross College and loves it but for us it didnt have the right feel although at the time we were looking at ocean reef ,quinns, Iluka all the beach side locations which unfortunatley were out of our reach as when we were looking Rob wasnt working we had no idea what he was realistically going to be earning so we erred on the side of caution and let our brains take over our hearts and ended up in Carramar which is a whole 10 minutes from the ocean!!! Im sooooo glad we did we have a nice house with the all important pool our verandah overlooks a couple of roofs but then the bush and it also face s the direction of the sunset which is fantastic.The kids play out the front with the other kids (we live in a cul de sac so quite safe !!! So although ideally would love the big ocean front house we are happy here for now!!

All 3 of the girls have settled REALLY well my eldest has a great group of friends and even after just 8 weeks of being here it was her 13th birthday i was concerned about her not having made good enough mates to have a party but i neednt have worried she had a fab bbq with all her mates they all ended up in the pool (freezing) but she had a really fun night .
My 10 year old goes to Carramar primary and again has made good friends and settled really quickly!!
My youngest bless er has gone from full time school in England to Kindy here which as Carramar is full and Kindy isnt compulsary i have got her into lake joondalup kindy which she loves although really its like play school in England but shes happy and will start pre primary in February!!!

SHIPPERS

We have been really lucky we moved out of our rental straight into our own home on the Saturday our stuff arrived Monday all in one piece we used overs from the UK and kents unpacked it here, although i do have to say that overs packed pot pourri and the muddiest pair of wellies you have ever seen so lucky they were never picked up at customs!!!!

HOMESICKNESS

I was totally unprepared for the homesickness although i have renamed it people sickness as i dont miss ANYTHING about the uk at all (ok maybe tescos a tiny bit oh and Primark) but missing people is really hard to deal with i dont think you ever get over it just learn to live with it!!!

All in all we are really happy here (and its winter) we do something different almost every weekend we have a good social circle and have already made some really good friends which for me is a huge bonus to meet people is fairly easy but to meet friends who you can trust, rely on and turn to when feeling crap this early on in our new life is amazing and i feel extremeley lucky those people im not sure if they visit this site much but they know who they are!!!

I think that should have bored everyone to tears by now good luck to those still on there journey here !!!

Be Happy

Kris xx
Excellent post Kris, glad you and your family have settled in well. I never get bored of reading these posts. Thanks for that!

Jackie x
Old Jul 7th 2006, 1:19 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

CAR HUNTING
PLASTERING WORK
HOUSE HUNTING

SHIPPERS

HOMESICKNESS

Be Happy

Kris xx

great post Kris...glad your settled and enjoying it
Old Jul 7th 2006, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Great post. So pleased to hear that you are settling in well.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 2:42 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Kris,
Glad you're loving it over there.
Fab post BTW
Are you still not smoking?

Julie. x
Old Jul 7th 2006, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Perth 3 months in and........

CAR HUNTING
PLASTERING WORK
HOUSE HUNTING

SHIPPERS

HOMESICKNESS

Be Happy

Kris xx
Hi Kris so glad you are now settled! nice to hear from you. Was thinking about you the other day ARE YOU STILL NOT SMOKING???? after all that stress.
Keep us all updated kris and good luck with your new life. We have just sold the house so hopefully be in Oz by September.
Jo x
Old Jul 7th 2006, 4:22 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Kris xx
Hi Kris

Remember your posts from UK

Congrats on the move , cheers for the update, keep them coming.

Carramar maybe for us one day too.

All the best

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.