Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth 18 months in...

Perth 18 months in...

Old Jan 31st 2006, 10:05 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth 18 months in...

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
I'm starting to realise that most migrants really really get the Aussie migration thing completely wrong. It's such a shame. We were lucky as nearly all the points that the OP mention we had covered.

I'd recommend aussie migration if:
if) a) you have distributed family all over the world and am used to not living cheek by jowl with them
b) am 20s/30s, no house in the UK, and no way of getting the one you need for your lifestyle, (forget the size of it, size is not an issue) but a sizeable, nay, huge deposit for a house in Aussie
c) aim to live a proper Aussie lifestyle, not a Legoland one
d) have an above average salary

It is really difficult getting all that. If you can, or do fit in to the above, then many of the problems people experience start to reduce drastically. I really think too many people are leaving their financial and family comfort zones. After all, most migrants are in their early 40s with small mortgages, stabilised salaries with little life experience gagging for a change. In 10 years time I will be in my early 40s with all these things many expats have now in the UK, only it will be in Australia, (with the added value that will bring), not in the UK. Even a temporary move elsewhere (we have family in the States) will gain me more 'purchasing power'. It's a win win situation.

My advice would be, migrate when you young enough to reap the rewards!

cheers
..was the lifestyle bit aimed at me (not in a nasty way of course) or are you just talking in general, because of house prices in the U.K I mean?
Old Jan 31st 2006, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
I'm starting to realise that most migrants really really get the Aussie migration thing completely wrong. It's such a shame. We were lucky as nearly all the points that the OP mention we had covered.

I'd recommend aussie migration if:
if) a) you have distributed family all over the world and am used to not living cheek by jowl with them
b) am 20s/30s, no house in the UK, and no way of getting the one you need for your lifestyle, (forget the size of it, size is not an issue) but a sizeable, nay, huge deposit for a house in Aussie
c) aim to live a proper Aussie lifestyle, not a Legoland one
d) have an above average salary

It is really difficult getting all that. If you can, or do fit in to the above, then many of the problems people experience start to reduce drastically. I really think too many people are leaving their financial and family comfort zones. After all, most migrants are in their early 40s with small mortgages, stabilised salaries with little life experience gagging for a change. In 10 years time I will be in my early 40s with all these things many expats have now in the UK, only it will be in Australia, (with the added value that will bring), not in the UK. Even a temporary move elsewhere (we have family in the States) will gain me more 'purchasing power'. It's a win win situation.

My advice would be, migrate when you young enough to reap the rewards!

cheers
HOWEVER, the other side of the coin...

I am 39, 40 in September. Qualified electrician, earning good money but fed up with the following in the UK;

Having a 9 year old daughter in a class of 38. I cannot see a healthy future for her education wise.
A crummy health service where I cannot get to see the doc without giving them 2 weeks notice.
Paying 40% of my wages to the tax man
Being discriminated against in my own country...face it; white people ARE the minority, and before you start I AM NOT RACIST. My father is Greek Cypriot (mum English). My dad came to the UK in '63 and has worked hard to make a good life for himself and us. He retired at 45. The PC system now in place definitely favours the non-white among us. God, that sounds awful doesn't it. Flame away cos I'm sticking by it!!!

We are lucky in that living down south we have made a killing on our house. Aim to get to Oz, buy outright and be mortgage and debt free. I will get work (believe it) and take it a bit easier than I currently do now.
We do get on with our family but do not live in each others pockets. They are philosophical about the whole thing , well, actually, I haven't told mine yet as we are in the middle of a minor family squabble, but this is OUR rest of lives we are talking about, NOT theirs.

Also, we ahave been considering this move for about 3 years so have not just jumped in without thinking about it. True, we have never been to Oz, but that is part of the adventure. Have always wanted to go there and, hell, if we fall flat on our faces we can always come back to Blighty and get a council house and claim off the state like every other f****r. About time I got something back as I have NEVER claimed a thing or EVER been on the dole

Rant over
Old Jan 31st 2006, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
..was the lifestyle bit aimed at me (not in a nasty way of course) or are you just talking in general, because of house prices in the U.K I mean?
in general. People seem to think that

i) a big house will cure their ills, even if living in 'legoland' is the opportunity cost of that. (I believe you need a big enough house, ie all children over a certain age need their own bedroom etc, ideally you need more than 1 living area etc..I should know, I lived in an apartment in my teens). People soon hanker over their smaller home in the UK (the opportunity cost in the UK).

ii) and that their location in Australia will automatically grant a lifestyle.

In particular, when I say lifestyle I mean that. By buying a modest home on a bit of land, in a good area, (a very good area, actually, although we didn't know just how good at the time!) we automatically got a lifestyle with our house, as a way of life (which is what many people had in mind when they first wanted to migrate) This means we are not vulnerable to materialism, problems with lack of culture, new estates, social problems etc etc.

Last edited by thatsnotquiteright; Jan 31st 2006 at 11:27 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andicee

I am 39, 40 in September. Qualified electrician, earning good money but fed up with the following in the UK;

Having a 9 year old daughter in a class of 38. I cannot see a healthy future for her education wise.
A crummy health service where I cannot get to see the doc without giving them 2 weeks notice.
Being discriminated against in my own country...face it; white people ARE the minority, and before you start I AM NOT RACIST. My father is Greek Cypriot (mum English). My dad came to the UK in '63 and has worked hard to make a good life for himself and us. He retired at 45. The PC system now in place definitely favours the non-white among us. God, that sounds awful doesn't it. Flame away cos I'm sticking by it!!!

We are lucky in that living down south we have made a killing on our house. Aim to get to Oz, buy outright and be mortgage and debt free. I will get work (believe it) and take it a bit easier than I currently do now.
We do get on with our family but do not live in each others pockets. They are philosophical about the whole thing , well, actually, I haven't told mine yet as we are in the middle of a minor family squabble, but this is OUR rest of lives we are talking about, NOT theirs.

Also, we ahave been considering this move for about 3 years so have not just jumped in without thinking about it. True, we have never been to Oz, but that is part of the adventure. Have always wanted to go there and, hell, if we fall flat on our faces we can always come back to Blighty and get a council house and claim off the state like every other f****r. About time I got something back as I have NEVER claimed a thing or EVER been on the dole

Rant over
Lots of people, like you, make it happen.

I'm just saying there is a vulnerable group of people - we know - because we see it time and time again. On this site.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 11:26 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Rant over
All the problems you mentioned are here, some better, some worse. Australia is as PC, if not more so than most western countries.

It's been said on here so many times & is so true: come for the pull of Australia & not the push of the UK.

Australia is a great country, so is the UK.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazulu
All the problems you mentioned are here, some better, some worse. Australia is as PC, if not more so than most western countries.

It's been said on here so many times & is so true: come for the pull of Australia & not the push of the UK.

Australia is a great country, so is the UK.
Well the way I figure it, I've spent 40 years in the UK, why not spend the next 40 in Oz???
Old Jan 31st 2006, 11:57 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Well the way I figure it, I've spent 40 years in the UK, why not spend the next 40 in Oz???
That's cool. Australia ia a great place to live & raise a family. I love it here. Just don't come because you think the UK is going down the tubes, because it's not.

Someone on here wrote 'the UK isn't nearly as bad as the UK thinks it is', which is probably the most sensible statement ever posted on this newsgroup.

Go for it.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

That's cool. Australia ia a great place to live & raise a family. I love it here. Just don't come because you think the UK is going down the tubes, because it's not.

Someone on here wrote 'the UK isn't nearly as bad as the UK thinks it is', which is probably the most sensible statement ever posted on this newsgroup.

Go for it.
Wasn't you who wrote that was it? LOL

Still general pish tho...no offence to the poster!!

We've all got our reasons for emigrating. Some are living in fairy, or lego, land, some have kosher reasons. who's to judge?

All I know is things can't be any worse! I've tried it this way for 39 years and cannot see a bright future for myself or family. Gotta try something else...preferably in the sun.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 12:27 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Have to disagree with Amazulu about the UK. Nice place for a holiday but not to live, no.

Too crowded, too cold, everyone is miserable.

Good telly though.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 12:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

All I know is things can't be any worse! I've tried it this way for 39 years and cannot see a bright future for myself or family. Gotta try something else...preferably in the sun.
Wasn't me that posted that statement, although I totally agree with it. If you emigrate for the wrong reasons then it can get a whole lot worse. There are loads of people on this newsgroup who have emigrated for the wrong reasons & are now back in the UK with a big hole in their bank balances or are still here & hate it.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 1:38 am
Checkin' the world out.

nixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nice

Wasn't me that posted that statement, although I totally agree with it. If you emigrate for the wrong reasons then it can get a whole lot worse. There are loads of people on this newsgroup who have emigrated for the wrong reasons & are now back in the UK with a big hole in their bank balances or are still here & hate it.

I posted it.

It just struck me when I went back over crimbley. All our friends are doing REALLY well for themselves, career, kids and travel wise. Their actual lives were a whole lot better than the doom and gloom the UK media perpetuate.

We can, and will, debate until the cows come home on the pros and cons, and that's what'll keep migration going the world over - is the grass greener?

In the end I've been through the emotional rollercoaster now, and Amazulu hit the nail on the head (think I said it a long time ago in a galaxy far far away), come for the positives, don't leave for the negatives.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 2:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by nixstuff
I posted it.

It just struck me when I went back over crimbley. All our friends are doing REALLY well for themselves, career, kids and travel wise. Their actual lives were a whole lot better than the doom and gloom the UK media perpetuate.

We can, and will, debate until the cows come home on the pros and cons, and that's what'll keep migration going the world over - is the grass greener?

In the end I've been through the emotional rollercoaster now, and Amazulu hit the nail on the head (think I said it a long time ago in a galaxy far far away), come for the positives, don't leave for the negatives.
To twist your statement a bit I'd like to post: 'Australia is not as great as Australia thinks it is'.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 3:31 am
Checkin' the world out.

nixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nice

To twist your statement a bit I'd like to post: 'Australia is not as great as Australia thinks it is'.
Couldn't agree more!

Maybe it's actually better to believe in your own hollow bull (Aus) than be dragged down by your paranoid and unfounded negativity (UK)...
Old Feb 1st 2006, 8:39 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Good luck to you and yours but you will the majority of what you've put about the UK in OZ. Apart from the sun.

Our daughter went to two different schools, one public and one private, in both there were at least 35-40 children in a class. This amount is not unusual.

The NHS is definitely NOT crumy when you've had to struggle to find doctors that don't charge you all the $'s you earn (find one that bulk bills) and some medicines cost a fortune because they aren't available on prescription.

Aussie tax man takes lots of tax too.

The Aussies are one of the most racist countries I've ever come across, especially to the Brits.

I do wish you luck but it's by no means easy. Some find it easy that others and settle but being debt and mortgage free doesn't mean life can be easier. The cost of living isn't that much cheaper than the UK so a decent wage still has to be earnt especailly if you are supporting family.

Aussies work very hard long hours, the majority we met worked far longer than we'd ever expected to work in the UK. The holidays are less and the heat is hotter.

I know you know all this but I'm just putting your post into perspective.
Good luck and take it while you can.

Rant over
Old Feb 1st 2006, 10:57 am
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
So let me get this right....you're leaving the UK to get away from foreign voices in the shopping centre.....and going somewhere where you will be one of those foreign voices in a shopping centre. The mind boggles!
I won't be a foreign voice over there. My queen will be head of state and on the money in my pocket, they will speak English - my language, and their race and culture will be that of mine originating from England.

When I refer to 'voices' I mean language. Think you may be referring to accent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.