Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth 18 months in...

Perth 18 months in...

Old Jan 29th 2006, 10:52 am
Just Joined

paygee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth 18 months in...

we went to perth and were there 4 weeks and that was about 3 too long for the missus , just come over to the gold coast ,its completly different to there , i`d try it here before going back to UK we`ve been here about 18 months too . Good luck
Old Jan 29th 2006, 11:44 am
Can't wait!

julie99k has a brilliant futurejulie99k has a brilliant futurejulie99k has a brilliant futurejulie99k has a brilliant futurejulie99k has a brilliant futurejulie99k has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by paygee
we went to perth and were there 4 weeks and that was about 3 too long for the missus , just come over to the gold coast ,its completly different to there , i`d try it here before going back to UK we`ve been here about 18 months too . Good luck

We're going to Perth this week for a reccie having been to Brisbane /Gold Coast last year - is it mainly the climate that makes the difference for you? what did your wife not like about Perth?
Old Jan 29th 2006, 12:03 pm
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julie99k
We're going to Perth this week for a reccie having been to Brisbane /Gold Coast last year - is it mainly the climate that makes the difference for you? what did your wife not like about Perth?
We looked at Brissie as well before we came home. Would definately agree with Paygee on checking out all the places you may fancy before choosing on where you want to settle.

(We loved Brissie as well by the way - just preferred Perth for various reasons)
Old Jan 29th 2006, 12:30 pm
Checkin' the world out.

nixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nice

Well lookie here my post has popped up again. I guess it's all the talk about Perth.

Well, it's now Jan 06, and things are, well, things just are. We had 3 weeks back in the UK over xmas, which was, to my massive surprise - fantastic. Thoroughly enjoyed the cold (!!!!) crisp frosty days, friends and family was of course the highlight, and the TV - WOW (how ridiculous is that? You only appreciate what you don't have...). Anyway, main thoughts were this - the UK isn't nearly as bad as the UK thinks it is. Without a doubt, the media has a huge responsibility with the national psyche - holy moly how depressing. After 3 days I gave up with the papers (no particular one, Daily Mail needs burning though). Death, destruction, robbery, violence...I'm thankful for 'dog on a surfboard' WA denial/don't care/not interested type news. Sheesh. But the place itself wasn't anything like that. The UK has a massive problem with it's own self esteem - the nation hates itself. And sooner or later you start believing your own hype. Back here they punch above their weight I suppose, and genuinely believe it's paradise on earth. As an immo who knows elsewhere, it's not, but to be amongst that sentiment...actually helps.

However, it was also great to come back to some sun. So, best of both worlds. I've exorcised some demons about the olde lande, but am for now contented to give it another couple of years here, see how we feel down the track. At least I know, if/when we do cut and run, we won't be returning to what we thought we left.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 5:06 pm
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nixstuff
the UK isn't nearly as bad as the UK thinks it is.
How true.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 10:49 am
Just Joined

paygee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by julie99k
it was mainly the isolation of the place , its just so far from anyhere and even the suburbs there ( apart from the inner city ones like subiaco etc which are really quite expensive ) they are far apart too , you need to drive almost everywhere and its not very lively , pubs etc in the outer suburbs close early and the restaraunts etc basiclly there are not many options unlike over here , nice place frindlier people more laid back , just not for us
Old Jan 31st 2006, 12:02 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

the UK isn't nearly as bad as the UK thinks it is.

Originally Posted by mackinnon
How true.
That's a matter of opinion, as everyone has had different experiences of the U.K.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 2:14 pm
Checkin' the world out.

nixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
That's a matter of opinion, as everyone has had different experiences of the U.K.
True, but see how you feel in 2 years time. Everything in perspective.

Anyone left in geordie land, or is nearly EVERYONE in or heading to Joondalup and surrounds? And the Old Bailey/GBT every fri night...
Old Jan 31st 2006, 2:20 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Anyone left in geordie land, or is nearly EVERYONE in or heading to Joondalup and surrounds? And the Old Bailey/GBT every fri night...
It is easy to say that we dislike the UK isn't it, until we are miles away from what we know! Then the truth hits....or at least for some.

I remember walking through Joondalup shopping centre and thinking I'd been wizzed back magically to the UK....all thoses British voices!!!!!
Old Jan 31st 2006, 2:24 pm
Checkin' the world out.

Originally Posted by janeyray
It is easy to say that we dislike the UK isn't it, until we are miles away from what we know! Then the truth hits....or at least for some.

I remember walking through Joondalup shopping centre and thinking I'd been wizzed back magically to the UK....all thoses British voices!!!!!
Avoid the place like the plague, it's scary. Bit too much costa del oz going on.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 2:35 pm
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyray
British voices in a shopping centre?

That's another reason for moving to Oz. Thanks.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 8:23 pm

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't know
Old Jan 31st 2006, 8:25 pm

True, but see how you feel in 2 years time. Everything in perspective
I don't dislike the U.K, but want a better lifestyle, and feel Australia will give me that (in my opinion)
Old Jan 31st 2006, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lewis Lapthorn
British voices in a shopping centre?

That's another reason for moving to Oz. Thanks.
So let me get this right....you're leaving the UK to get away from foreign voices in the shopping centre.....and going somewhere where you will be one of those foreign voices in a shopping centre. The mind boggles!
Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I'm starting to realise that most migrants really really get the Aussie migration thing completely wrong. It's such a shame. We were lucky as nearly all the points that the OP mention we had covered.

I'd recommend aussie migration if:
if) a) you have distributed family all over the world and am used to not living cheek by jowl with them
b) am 20s/30s, no house in the UK, and no way of getting the one you need for your lifestyle, (forget the size of it, size is not an issue) but a sizeable, nay, huge deposit for a house in Aussie
c) aim to live a proper Aussie lifestyle, not a Legoland one
d) have an above average salary

It is really difficult getting all that. If you can, or do fit in to the above, then many of the problems people experience start to reduce drastically. I really think too many people are leaving their financial and family comfort zones. After all, most migrants are in their early 40s with small mortgages, stabilised salaries with little life experience gagging for a change. In 10 years time I will be in my early 40s with all these things many expats have now in the UK, only it will be in Australia, (with the added value that will bring), not in the UK. Even a temporary move elsewhere (we have family in the States) will gain me more 'purchasing power'. It's a win win situation.

My advice would be, migrate when you young enough to reap the rewards!

cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.