Wikiposts

Perth

Old Jul 18th 2003, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth

Aside from PB, how does everyone feel about Perth? Don't want to offend any Perth dwellers here, but...

As an Australian from Sydney, it does seem a bit remote. We considered it (it's sure cheap) but the medical services and so on just don't seem as good as in the major cities in the east of Oz.

I saw the main women's and children's hospital is still under review for not being quite up to scratch. Sounds like a couple of cowboy doctors headed up their departments and noone felt able to question their authority. The review conceded that it was difficult to fix the problems entirely because they just couldn't get the replacement staff. Seems top consultants prefer to live on the east coast where there's lots for them to spend their outrageous incomes on.

Personally I'd be a bit miserable if I had to live in Perth for long. Plus the feeling of being soooo far from anywhere else major. It had a really big boom in the 80s with all the new money media tycoons moving out there to build skyscrapers (big fish, very small pond) and the America's cup in Fremantle. That fizzled out when the entrepreneurs went bust or were imprisoned.

Now Perth (like Adelaide) holds the reputation of good affordable housing for families who move out of Sydney or Melbourne cos they can't afford to buy a house. But Queensland is by far the most popular destination looking at the internal Australian migration figures.

The baton for action and development has been handed on to Brisbane/Queensland. Queensland has been overdeveloped in places and some of the new bits will become slums. But the overall development is a bit more sustainable because it's on the east coast tourist track and goods move easily up and down the coast.

I have an Aussie friend moving back to Perth soon. She has friends there and likes the laid back lifestyle. Plus it's cheap and she plans to live off investments. But even she refers to it as 'the back of beyond' and 'the wild west' and agrees the services are somewhat behind the likes of Sydney and Melbourne.

PB - maybe it's not the whole of Australia you hate, you've just picked the wrong place for your lifestyle? There are lots of places in Britain too where the house prices seem cheap if you look on the web but you wouldn't necessarily choose to move there...

OK - everyone who lives in Perth and loves it - shout at me now!
Old Jul 18th 2003, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

mdufton is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there Jolyn

We moved to Perth from near Crewe, Cheshire 3 months ago, so things are quite new to us.

I haven't been anywhere else in Australia, so I can't compare it to anywhere but the UK, but I've got to say that I love the place.

There is a feeling of remoteness, but that seems to reinforce the pride in the place that the people here have.

I like the way that the stuff you buy in shops proudly say that they are made in WA.

The city seems very clean, and there are loads of parks to go walking around. The beaches are great, too.

The only thing that I am not that keen on is that people seem to go to bed really early. I thought that there would be a lot more pubs to go to- not just in the town. Perhaps I just haven't found them yet.

I'm probably looking just at the good things at the moment, but I think that this is a place where my family can settle for a long time. Everywhere has it's downsides, but on balance, I like it.

Cheers,

Mike