Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Persuasion tactics - it worked!

Persuasion tactics - it worked!

Old Oct 14th 2003, 7:59 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Persuasion tactics - it worked!

Hello all,

Well, you may remember that I posted a while ago about persuasion tactics to help me convince my aussie partner that we needed to go back to Oz sooner rather than later...well, it's worked.

I think it may have a lot to do with the nostalgia bred by watching the rugby, but he has finally decided that July 2004 is the time to go (rather than Oct 2005, as he had been talking about - eek). So, shall be putting the de facto application in sometime after Christmas.

Hurrah!
Old Oct 14th 2003, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Great news!
How long has he lived over here? I bet you can't wait to try out his country for a bit.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:13 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tinaj
Great news!
How long has he lived over here? I bet you can't wait to try out his country for a bit.
Well, we met over there in Oct 1999 (it's our fourth anniversary today, in fact). I spent a year living with him on a sheep station in the middle of nowhere until my WHM visa ran out. We came back here in Oct 2000. He told me he wanted to live here for 'one, maybe two' years. We've been here for three. I've been itching to go back since we arrived, but wanted to give him his chance to live over here. He has UK Right of Abode, so technically, we could stay here forever :scared: but that's not going to happen He does want to go back...and now I've pinned him down to a timescale!
Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:20 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bundy
Well, we met over there in Oct 1999 (it's our fourth anniversary today, in fact). I spent a year living with him on a sheep station in the middle of nowhere until my WHM visa ran out. We came back here in Oct 2000. He told me he wanted to live here for 'one, maybe two' years. We've been here for three. I've been itching to go back since we arrived, but wanted to give him his chance to live over here. He has UK Right of Abode, so technically, we could stay here forever :scared: but that's not going to happen He does want to go back...and now I've pinned him down to a timescale!
I was in your situation 2 years ago. 6 years ago I met my partner on a WHV and we went back to the UK together.

We applied in Oct 2001 and got here May 2002.

Good luck but I doubt you need it,
Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:28 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by bondipom
I was in your situation 2 years ago. 6 years ago I met my partner on a WHV and we went back to the UK together.

We applied in Oct 2001 and got here May 2002.

Good luck but I doubt you need it,
Frustrating, isn't it? I mean, I don't want to crush his big adventure over here, but I hate, hate, hate the UK in oh so many ways and it's hard staying here and being miserable, even though he's as happy as larry over here.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on your anniversary! And good luck with the application!
Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:45 am

Frustrating, isn't it? I mean, I don't want to crush his big adventure over here, but I hate, hate, hate the UK in oh so many ways and it's hard staying here and being miserable, even though he's as happy as larry over here.
What makes the UK so miserable? Have you been watching Eastenders.:scared:

We were OK in the UK but struggling. I knew I was going to be made redundant so I had to persuade my Aussie partner that the shops in Oz aren't too bad. Her mum was giving her guilt trips and I just made comments about the weather.

She had never left Oz before so the 3 years was great for her. We went on overseas trips 3 or 4 times a year (which I do miss). I just thought with my redundancy that it woule be silly not to give Oz another go. We had nothing to lose.

I don't hate the UK and I was not miserable there but just found accomodation expensive to rent and living well difficult.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:53 am
She's a bird, you know

I've never liked the UK...it's weird. Born and bred here, but I've never really enjoyed living here, and have always been happier when I'm away from the place. There are lots of things I dislike: the materialistic attitude, the keeping-up-with-the-Jonses, the fact that housing and general living is so expensive that you spend your life working yourself to the bone just to pay the bills, the politics, the way the country seems to be falling apart, the yob culture, the roads, the lack of space, the fact that so many people are miserable....and the weather. I could go on.

A lot of it comes of the fact that we spent a nightmare year accidently living next to a crack den (yes, in provincial Cambridge) and spent a year fighting the council and other authorities. I became totally disillusioned by this country.

I think the UK was once a great place, but it's heading downhill fast. And I want to get out while I still can! There are things I like about the place, but they are far outweighed by the things that make me want to cry.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 8:04 am

I've never liked the UK...it's weird. Born and bred here, but I've never really enjoyed living here, and have always been happier when I'm away from the place. There are lots of things I dislike: the materialistic attitude, the keeping-up-with-the-Jonses, the fact that housing and general living is so expensive that you spend your life working yourself to the bone just to pay the bills, the politics, the way the country seems to be falling apart, the yob culture, the roads, the lack of space, the fact that so many people are miserable....and the weather. I could go on.

A lot of it comes of the fact that we spent a nightmare year accidently living next to a crack den (yes, in provincial Cambridge) and spent a year fighting the council and other authorities. I became totally disillusioned by this country.

I think the UK was once a great place, but it's heading downhill fast. And I want to get out while I still can! There are things I like about the place, but they are far outweighed by the things that make me want to cry.
A lot of that stuff is the sames here. Ie keeping up with the Jones, Yob Culture, bad roads, the politics (do not get aussies started on their politicians as they make ours look honest and decent), smack dens instead of crack dens (and boy do they smoke here) expensive housing, materialism etc.

I can understand getting out of being next door to a crack den. I do like the weather here.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 8:11 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by bondipom
A lot of that stuff is the sames here. Ie keeping up with the Jones, Yob Culture, bad roads, the politics (do not get aussies started on their politicians as they make ours look honest and decent), smack dens instead of crack dens (and boy do they smoke here) expensive housing, materialism etc.

I can understand getting out of being next door to a crack den. I do like the weather here.
I know that the same problems abound in every country...just different weather. But I think what it comes down to is the fact that I was happiest and healthiest whilst in Oz...and I would like to go back to living like that. Plus we'll be going back to the middle of nowhere, small town community where there a less (or maybe different) problems to the ones found in all large towns. Maybe it's just the novelty thing - a change is as good as a rest and all that.

I'm certainly not expecting it to be roses all the way in Oz, but I think the fundamentals - like the way of life, the cost of living, the standard of life and the attitudes of the aussies - are better over there and will give us (and our future children) a better life.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Virtual PA is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Persuasion tactics - it worked!

Bundy

You sound like a kindred spirit. I was also born and bred in the UK and never could stand it. From the age of 14 I studied languages as a way out of the place. I always remember that sinking feeling on returning to the UK after holidays - aaarrrgh!
I emigrated to Australia 6 years ago and absolutely love it.

I have just been back for my sister's wedding after an absence of 6 years, and believe me, absence does not make the heart grow fonder.

On the contrary it has really hammered home what I have here in Australia.

Good for you to persuade him to get back over here ASAP!

Lisa
Virtual PA
Old Oct 15th 2003, 11:26 am
She's a bird, you know

Default Re: Persuasion tactics - it worked!

Originally posted by Virtual PA
Bundy

You sound like a kindred spirit. I was also born and bred in the UK and never could stand it. From the age of 14 I studied languages as a way out of the place. I always remember that sinking feeling on returning to the UK after holidays - aaarrrgh!
I emigrated to Australia 6 years ago and absolutely love it.

I have just been back for my sister's wedding after an absence of 6 years, and believe me, absence does not make the heart grow fonder.

On the contrary it has really hammered home what I have here in Australia.

Good for you to persuade him to get back over here ASAP!

Lisa
Virtual PA
Oh good, so it's not just me then! I thought I might be weird, having not one patriotic bone in my body...

Glad to hear that things have worked out for you - I hope they will for me too
Old Oct 15th 2003, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck Bundy

it took me 14 years to persuade my hubby.... but he is now chomping at the bit to go to aus (he,s english and im an aus)

just shows "never give up"

cheers booboo
back in Aus by nov/dec
Old Oct 15th 2003, 1:33 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by booboo
Good luck Bundy

it took me 14 years to persuade my hubby.... but he is now chomping at the bit to go to aus (he,s english and im an aus)

just shows "never give up"

cheers booboo
back in Aus by nov/dec
I also plied him with beer and promised we'd come back for a visit after a year...It's all wrong! He's the aussie...it should be me having to be persuaded and having promises made about returning.