Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Personal UK Pension withdrawal

Personal UK Pension withdrawal

Old Sep 18th 2018, 9:17 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Personal UK Pension withdrawal

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Thanks, that really is useful information. It's exactly where I sit. Not sure why Willis didn't send me that information.

I aim to retire after June 30th next year and have it cashed in as income of less than the 18K taxable income pa allowed before retirement by the Aus government. Getting somewhere thanks
That link may be out of date. See the section under the heading "What were the old rules around small pension funds?" about half way down the web page here: https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/mone...on-funds-at-55
Old Sep 18th 2018, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
That link may be out of date. See the section under the heading "What were the old rules around small pension funds?" about half way down the web page here: https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/mone...on-funds-at-55
and the article you linked to is dated Jan 2015.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandhelena

I've worked out that mines a workplace pension, not a Sipp. Is that true about it getting taxed in Aus after retirement at the highest marginal rate? Do you know of the top of your head? I can't find concise information on this yet. It's taken me a while to get used to all the UK jargon in this....Pension pots etc, which I assume is the equivalent of our Superannuation payout.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 18th 2018 at 10:26 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

I've worked out that mines a workplace pension, not a Sipp, is that true about it getting taxed in Aus after retirement at the highest marginal rate. Do you know of the top of your head? I can't find concise information on this yet. It's taken me a while to get used to all the UK jargon in this....Pension pots etc, which I assume is the equivalent of our Superannuation payout.
mine is also a workplace pension which I’m transferring into a SIPP. As far as I can tell, a SIPP is the UK equivalent of a SMSF. The big difference is that in the UK, contributions and fund earnings are not taxed on entry but on withdrawal: in Oz we pay tax on contributions and earnings but we get tax free withdrawals. If your UK private pension is a “defined benefit” scheme be careful about cashing it in early as you may lose out. One view about taxation on lump sums might be that if the ATO don’t find out about it, who’s to know?
Old Sep 18th 2018, 11:04 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. Even the information provided in the link might not be the current position. Anyone have a more recent source?
Old Sep 18th 2018, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

mine is also a workplace pension which I’m transferring into a SIPP. As far as I can tell, a SIPP is the UK equivalent of a SMSF. The big difference is that in the UK, contributions and fund earnings are not taxed on entry but on withdrawal: in Oz, we pay tax on contributions and earnings but we get tax free withdrawals. If your UK private pension is a “defined benefit” scheme be careful about cashing it in early as you may lose out. One view about taxation on lump sums might be that if the ATO don’t find out about it, who’s to know?

Apparently, the ATO is linking up to UK systems, especially pension system right about now. September the 18th was quoted actually. Yes I'm wary about the defined benefit part, looking at that really closely, it is a defined benefit but so small less than 1000 quid per annum, that transfer fees may impact heavily, combine that with potential highest rate tax then it's almost worthless......Unless I can work out how to keep it all in the UK and using it as spending money every two or three years. Not likely with the new ATO higher level scruitiny, especially once they get my NI number upon my retirement here.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 18th 2018 at 11:18 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2018, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Interesting to hear about the ATO link up to UK systems-what is the source of that info? I’d like to read more.
Old Sep 21st 2018, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Interesting to hear about the ATO link up to UK systems-what is the source of that info? I’d like to read more.

Having difficulty finding my original source for that, but will keep looking. Here's a close enough pointer though.

https://www.legalwiseseminars.com.au...reign-incomes/

Besides that, I received a massive amount of paper work (25 A4 pages) from Willis today in the UK. A big surprise to me is I am above that trivial payment scheme, unfortunately. Can't believe that as I only worked for my final company for 7 year and 6 months in the 70's and was aged 24 when I left in 1980.

The paperwork I've got has triggered me to find a local well known and locally peer recommended Australian advisor that knows about UK overseas private pensions. It's Retirement/Investments Moonee Ponds Branch.

These guys are probably more suited to people that have lived in Australia for at least 10 years and have more Australian assets than UK ones.

https://www.riadvice.com.au/#
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Having difficulty finding my original source for that, but will keep looking.
This is it. https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Inter...ting-Standard/
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

The paperwork I've got has triggered me to find a local well known and locally peer recommended Australian advisor that knows about UK overseas private pensions. It's Retirement/Investments Moonee Ponds Branch.
I don't understand if it's only a small amount why you don't just leave it in the uk and take the pension in Oz. This saves any expenses on advisers and transfer costs.

I have a company pension from 1990 that pays about $12,000 per year, tax free in UK and I don't pay tax in Oz because it's below my tax threshold (about $32,000).

Last edited by old.sparkles; Sep 23rd 2018 at 10:21 am. Reason: fix quote
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
I don't understand if it's only a small amount why you don't just leave it in the uk and take the pension in Oz. This saves any expenses on advisers and transfer costs.

I have a company pension from 1990 that pays about $12,000 per year, tax free in UK and I don't pay tax in Oz because it's below my tax threshold (about $32,000).

I didn't know you could do that. How do you get a UK bank account?

I was toying with the idea of putting into one of my brothers accounts. He's totally trustworthy. Not sure the pension people would allow me to though.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Sep 23rd 2018 at 10:22 am. Reason: fix quote
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 12:15 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I was toying with the idea of putting into one of my brothers accounts. He's totally trustworthy. Not sure the pension people would allow me to though.
Hi Ozzie. Not sure how closely UK bank accounts are audited, but if you did something similar in Oz (had regular income paid into your brother's account), then the ATO may ask questions - also that income would affect your brother's entitlement to any social security benefits or pensions. Probably not relevant to you but just something to keep in mind.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Sep 23rd 2018 at 10:23 am. Reason: fix quote
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

You don't need a UK a/c give them your Oz one and let them transfer the money direct to your Oz a/c.
I use HSBC current a/c. I loose about 2-3% on each transfer which is about what I would loose transferring it myself and I just declare what I receive as my UK pension on my tax return.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Sep 23rd 2018 at 10:24 am. Reason: fix quote
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 10:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
You don't need a UK a/c give them your Oz one and let them transfer the money direct to your Oz a/c.
I use HSBC current a/c. I loose about 2-3% on each transfer which is about what I would loose transferring it myself and I just declare what I receive as my UK pension on my tax return.
Thats the snag though, if you transfer regularly you will lose a bit each time on the transfer.
Ozzie, if you don't have a UK bank account now, you are unlikely to be able to open one, unfirtunately.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Thats the snag though, if you transfer regularly you will lose a bit each time on the transfer.
Ozzie, if you don't have a UK bank account now, you are unlikely to be able to open one, unfirtunately.
I consider a 2-3% more than acceptable loss for the convenience of a regular monthly income. Even if I paid it into a UK a/c and only transferred once a year using say Ozforex I would still loose at least 1% (if I was lucky) and I've had no advisor costs or losses due to trying to transfer the pension into an Oz Super a/c.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.