Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Personal Computers & other household stuff!

Wikiposts

Personal Computers & other household stuff!

Old Jul 9th 2004, 2:17 am
Just Joined

nandh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Personal Computers & other household stuff!

Hi there,

Does anyone know whether a personal computer bought in Britain can be used in Oz? If so, what do we have to do to make it compatible?

Thanks in advance

H
Old Jul 9th 2004, 2:21 am
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

UK bought PC's work perfectly in Oz.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 2:33 am
Just Joined

nandh is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Irishmolly.

That's one less thing to have to buy!!

Old Jul 9th 2004, 2:51 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nandh
Thanks Irishmolly.

That's one less thing to have to buy!!

i think most things are the same. do a search on white goods
Old Jul 9th 2004, 6:36 am
Just Joined

moschops is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to crash your thread, can anyone help with these questions?
Does anyone know if you can take UK goods and when you get to OZ can change them over to Aussie type plugs?
Also what type of TV connectors do they use over there, i.e scart leads etc?
And finally on the pc front, what about the internet connection, is it the same as the UK?
Thanks
Old Jul 9th 2004, 1:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's simpler to buy adaptors for the plugs rather than try to change them. One tip - bring a few UK socket boards then you only need to use a single adaptor. Just don't overload it.

TV connectors look similar to the UK, but the system itself isn't.

Internet connections are similar to the UK.

Jeremy

Originally posted by moschops
Sorry to crash your thread, can anyone help with these questions?
Does anyone know if you can take UK goods and when you get to OZ can change them over to Aussie type plugs?
Also what type of TV connectors do they use over there, i.e scart leads etc?
And finally on the pc front, what about the internet connection, is it the same as the UK?
Thanks
Old Jul 9th 2004, 6:12 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

an adaptor will cost u $3-$5
Old Jul 9th 2004, 6:34 pm
rudo1ph

We chopped off our British plugs and changed them to Aussie ones.

For the TV/video/DVD/sound system we have a UK socket set......changed the plug for the wall but plugged all the UK plugs straight into it - ditto for the bedside lamps and alarm clock radio.

Old Jul 9th 2004, 6:38 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Originally posted by rudo1ph
We chopped off our British plugs and changed them to Aussie ones.

For the TV/video/DVD/sound system we have a UK socket set......changed the plug for the wall but plugged all the UK plugs straight into it - ditto for the bedside lamps and alarm clock radio.
our girls brought over all the hair care stuff that a girl needs. we just went out an bought a load of adaptors. if this wasnt a rental i would have did it they way u have
Old Jul 9th 2004, 10:48 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a surge protected powerboard and just change the plug on that. The thunder storm season has a habit of frying the odd PSU or even worse HDD.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 11:06 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Originally posted by bondipom
Get a surge protected powerboard and just change the plug on that. The thunder storm season has a habit of frying the odd PSU or even worse HDD.
thanx for that mate, i hadnt thought of that, ill get one tomorow now
Old Jul 10th 2004, 5:15 am
Just Joined

moschops is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone help on this one i have got a plasma tv in the uk but it has'nt got a built in tuner, i use a digibox to get a tv picture whats the oz alternative and is it any good?
Old Jul 10th 2004, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by irishmolly
UK bought PC's work perfectly in Oz.
Are you speaking from experience? There was a few threads a month or two ago about why monitors (we are talking CRTs here not LCDs or plasma) don't work in Oz. They said its something to do with the earths magnetic field or something.

I'm not stating this as fact, I just remember the thread. As it works out for us, we have 3 PCs, one a laptop. So the laptop and one PC box is coming with us, the other PC with its monitor and peripherals is going to whoever will take it. If anyone knows of a good charity who would take a decent PC system for nothing, let me know.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jul 10th 2004, 12:19 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The CRT issue is a gradual degradation that affects certain monitors. Some monitors will be fine. Contact your manufacturer.
Old Jul 10th 2004, 1:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Are you speaking from experience
CAn't quote the technical stuff like Bondipom, but my pc came out with me in November, its just a basic model but works perfectly well, the only thing we had to sort out was a new modem cable, cost about $10-20 I think.