Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

permission to land

permission to land

Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:08 am
Just Joined

cookie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post permission to land

I have found this site very useful in terms of pos/negs re Oz. I have received visa application forms/agency application forms and am currently reviewing whether i need to pay over £3000 to process these via a migration agency. I have a million??!!! questions, but will limit myself to a few!!?!
1. Do I need a migration agent? I am hoping for a skilled migration as a registered nurse.
2. besides the obvious question of being answerable to one "agent" for your job, visa, freedom, are there any benefits to having a sponsored skills visa, as opposed to an independant skills visa, and then choosing your job? This sounds like a mad question, bcos i have read lots of sponsored visa negs, but no specifics??? What are the major downfalls??
3. I wish to emigrate with my two children,(aged 10 and 8) and their father wants specific info on schools,standards of living,and education standards!?! I have been told that visas can depend on exhusband/fatherpermit!???! Anyone with any info on single parent migration would be very useful as i am receiving conflicting advice. Dont want to pay out money for asessments if permit from dad crucial( but understand his point if anyone has any angle on that!!)
Many thanks
Diane
Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:24 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: permission to land

Hi Diane

Use the search facilities to look up these topics as most have been covered before. There are some specific ones on nurses too.

The only one I can really comment on is migration agents. We did not used one for our skilled independent application. You have to make sure you read all the forms and be very organised about collectionof information. You would have to collect the info anyway. Its daunting but not to hard.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:29 am
Just Joined

Hi HUP!
Thanks for your speedy reply! how much did you pay without use of migration agent? How long did ANC/visas take?
Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:33 am
Just Joined

And do you mean search for single parent application advice on this forum?? Sorry, still new, and excitable in searching for new life!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:51 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cookie1
And do you mean search for single parent application advice on this forum?? Sorry, still new, and excitable in searching for new life!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Search for all things. Most questions have been asked before. Migration agents have several threads. Also if you have a specific agent in mind there probably be comments on that as well. Several people on here are in simillar situations to you though I am sure.

Can't remember the costs without an agent, Hevs dealt with most of that.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 1:45 am
ABCDiamond

3. I wish to emigrate with my two children,(aged 10 and 8) and their father wants specific info on schools,standards of living,and education standards!?!
Many thanks
Diane
To help with info on schools etc, if you can let us all know the area you are wanting to go to, some of us may have info that may be of use in that respect.

Old Feb 25th 2004, 6:51 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

[
3. I wish to emigrate with my two children,(aged 10 and 8) and their father wants specific info on schools,standards of living,and education standards!?! I have been told that visas can depend on exhusband/fatherpermit!???! Anyone with any info on single parent migration would be very useful as i am receiving conflicting advice. Dont want to pay out money for asessments if permit from dad crucial( but understand his point if anyone has any angle on that!!)
Many thanks
Diane
The DIMIA booklet 6 (see their website to dowwnload) page 46, Custody Requirement - "......If your application includes a child under 18 and the childs other parent is not migrating with you.......... you will need to provide a Statutory Declaration .........giving permission for the child to migrate. Alternatively you can provide a certified copy of a valid Court Order showing ...you..... have the legal right to remove the child from the country"

We wrote a polite letter to Nikki's ex after a phone call explaining ... opportunity for his daughter.. dual nationality... fits in with education etc. It took him 2 weeks but he went to Solicitor with the form of words we supplied and all is now ready once skills assessment is done

G2O

Last edited by arnie2oz; Feb 25th 2004 at 7:05 am.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

bazfer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there
so long as your husband isn't going to make things very difficult, then i would say no to using an agent. Nurses are very much in demand.
go to the dimia web site and read booklet 6. so long as you meet the work experience requirement, you shouldn't have any difficukty getting a visa.
As hup said, it is a pain gathering all the documents, but you would have to do that even if you used an agent.
i would warn you though, that you could have a visa in your hand very quickly! Nurses are the only category of skilled independent visa that get rushed through. ours took just under 8 weeks i think. that wasn't front loaded. the Anc took slightly less time. Sorry i am a bit vauge with the dates!
Not sure about state nominated and sponsored visas. we just went with the skilled one, as it meant we weren't restricted at all.
If the hospital mr Bazfer is applying to is not right for him, he can look elsewhere!
Using the search facility is very helpful, but don't be afraid to ask questions.
where would you like to go in oz?
Old Feb 25th 2004, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Hi
Thanks for replies, very useful.
I was considering Perth,(Sydney was 1st choice,but feel it is too expensive), but have read a lot of negs about it. Still open to consideration! Am currently looking into Melbourne. Think I will start to narrow down options once i overcome initial hurdles
Old Feb 25th 2004, 9:43 am
Adelaide here we come

kittenlips is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cookie

OZ is crying out for nurses so you won't have a problem getting a job anywhere, if you are a nurse I believe Adelaide is a good place to go, the housing is a lot cheaper there for a start.

My husband's cousin is a nurse in Adelaide, she used the same migration agent as us - Ian Harrop & Associates based in Burford, they were fantastic, really really helpful and v knowledgeable. Their fees weren't too bad either approx £950 + VAT. Sometimes if you don't feel comfortable with all the paperwork involved it's a lot easier to go with an agent to take the pressure off. But I'm sure there are plenty of nurses out there who have gone it alone. Try the search facility on here, you'll find plenty of useful info on the subject.

Good luck

Theresa
Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Diane,

£3000 is far to much to be paying an agent. There are good ones that frequent this site -

George Lombard http://www.austimmigration.com.au
Alan Collett http://www.gomatilda.com.au

They have great reputations (we are using George) and they will charge you much less than that. The question you need to ask yourself is this:

Is your application going to be straight forward? If yes, don't use an agent but be prepared for tons of research and reading.

If your application is complicated ie second faimilies, step kids, employment history etc then it would be worth talking to an agent initially.

Good luck, I can remebember how esciting it was when we made the decision to go for it
Old Feb 25th 2004, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

kulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud of

Hello Diane,

Which part of Essex are you from?

There are Essex get-togethers every 2 months near Lakeside which you may find helpful (next one is due in April).

I'm also an Essex nurse and as others have said, because our application is straight forward we haven't bothered with an agent. It's still hard work though!

Good luck finding answers to your questions.

Lou
Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:56 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I have found this site very useful in terms of pos/negs re Oz. I have received visa application forms/agency application forms and am currently reviewing whether i need to pay over £3000 to process these via a migration agency. I have a million??!!! questions, but will limit myself to a few!!?!
£3000 is too much, we paid $3000. Do a search on this site for info on good agents.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by kulu
Hello Diane,

Which part of Essex are you from?

There are Essex get-togethers every 2 months near Lakeside which you may find helpful (next one is due in April).

I'm also an Essex nurse and as others have said, because our application is straight forward we haven't bothered with an agent. It's still hard work though!

Good luck finding answers to your questions.

Lou
Hi Lou

I live near Ilford, so handy for Lakeside. Info on the get together would be great.
Many thanks
Diane
Old Feb 26th 2004, 2:05 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Hi Lou

I live near Ilford, so handy for Lakeside. Info on the get together would be great.
Many thanks
Diane
Hi Diane,

I'ts spooky how close people are, isn't it? We're in Hornchurch!

The next Essex meet is penciled in for April 4th at The Sandmartin Pub, Drake Road, Chafford Hundred, Nr. Lakeside. You can read all about it here.

Hope you can make the next one.

Steve and Eve.