Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Permanent visa holder - IT contracting in Oz

Permanent visa holder - IT contracting in Oz

Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

moores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant future
Default Permanent visa holder - IT contracting in Oz

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help me -maybe someone has been in a similar situation?

I have a 175 permanent visa and moving to Sydney on 05 February 2011. I currently work in London and received 2 offers from my employer to work in Sydney for them. Both of the roles are contract - one for 3-4 months and then option to perm and the other 12 months fixed term contract.

I've heard that contractors don't get annual leave pay, sick pay or super and understand that there are things that might need to be done re: tax as a contractor. I've heard things about having to set up my own PTY and all sorts of stories.

Has anyone been through the situation of moving to Oz and working on contract and what needs to be considered / done?

Thanks,
moores2525
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent visa holder - IT contracting in Oz

Originally Posted by moores2525
Hi there,

I have a 175 permanent visa and moving to Sydney on 05 February 2011. I currently work in London and received 2 offers from my employer to work in Sydney for them. Both of the roles are contract - one for 3-4 months and then option to perm and the other 12 months fixed term contract.

I've heard that contractors don't get annual leave pay, sick pay or super and understand that there are things that might need to be done re: tax as a contractor. I've heard things about having to set up my own PTY and all sorts of stories.

Has anyone been through the situation of moving to Oz and working on contract and what needs to be considered / done?

Thanks,
moores2525
I contracted in UK for most of the last 15 years, now I contract in Sydney. In UK I ran a Ltd Company here the agency just pays me PAYE, as there ar less advantages to running a company here as an IT contractor (although I've been here less than a year so not ruling it out in future), if you're not using an agency here look into Salary Packaging companies, depending on your circs they may be able to save you some money (they'll charge 3-5% of your gross). You probably also need public liability insurance, check it out (in case you stuff up and get sued).

Nowhere do you get paid sick/hols as a contractor you get an hourly or daily rate and are paid for yoru time, the pay is better and should more than compensate.

Have a read and/or post on the jobs section of http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/, you're likely to find lots of contractors on there.

Last edited by freebo; Jan 25th 2011 at 9:07 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:25 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Whatever system you use you will have to pay 9% super on top of your take home wage. If you use a salary packaging company or paye agency then they will administer it for you. Otherwise you or your accountant will have to do the paperwork.
Hi there,

Thanks,
moores2525
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Whatever system you use you will have to pay 9% super on top of your take home wage. If you use a salary packaging company or paye agency then they will administer it for you. Otherwise you or your accountant will have to do the paperwork.
Most agencies will do this for you too, and often at no extra cost. Salary packaging companies can do novated leases on cars and if you qualify LAFHA etc.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

johnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there,

Thanks,
moores2525
I've been working as an IT contractor in Aus for 3 years. prior to that I used my own Ltd company in the UK. In Aus I am PAYG as there are less advantages than in the UK.

If you wish you can increase your super contributions to offset the tax take. Super is only taxed at 15%.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Good advice. Thats why this site is so great.

Take the contract. That way you get paid right whereas a fixed term contract is the worst of both worlds - not much stability and pay is lower. Both will have 2-4 week notice period anyway

Make sure you get paid properly for the contract role too. Get on seek.com and call some agents. They prob won't bother replying to e-mails

Finally e-mail umbrella companies like the guys said above and ask them what they'll provide and for how much. Haggle them down to 4% max

You'll be fine

Good luck!