British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   permanent visa granted, I'm looking for a job and I keep receiving negative responses (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/permanent-visa-granted-im-looking-job-i-keep-receiving-negative-responses-646461/)

Mizo Dec 29th 2009 9:10 am

permanent visa granted, I'm looking for a job and I keep receiving negative responses

hi guys , after a long run my visa was granted last month :thumbsup: , and since that i started to send my resume to companies through seek.com.au , and constantly i receive negative responses , my occupation is IT - systems administration and i have a masters degree , and a sum of 7 years experience.

so, what do you think guys , is it because that im not yet physically located in Australia ? because some replies mentioned that, or it could be something related to my qualifications as i heard that australia's market is restrictive in thier qualifications requirements.

so, guys i really need your advice from those who already moved there , what should i do , should i keep sending my resume till i get something or should i move to Australia and start look for a job overthere ? they idea that i work for very respectable firm and i don't want to lose the brand name easily to be jobless !!! at the same time as im single i have no problem to move to any Australian city , what is the most recommended one. :fingerscrossed:

charw Dec 29th 2009 9:24 am

Re: permanent visa granted, I'm looking for a job and I keep receiving negative respo

Originally Posted by Mizo (Post 8203065)
hi guys , after a long run my visa was granted last month :thumbsup: , and since that i started to send my resume to companies through seek.com.au , and constantly i receive negative responses , my occupation is IT - systems administration and i have a masters degree , and a sum of 7 years experience.

so, what do you think guys , is it because that im not yet physically located in Australia ? because some replies mentioned that, or it could be something related to my qualifications as i heard that australia's market is restrictive in thier qualifications requirements.

so, guys i really need your advice from those who already moved there , what should i do , should i keep sending my resume till i get something or should i move to Australia and start look for a job overthere ? they idea that i work for very respectable firm and i don't want to lose the brand name easily to be jobless !!! at the same time as im single i have no problem to move to any Australian city , what is the most recommended one. :fingerscrossed:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Bermudashorts Dec 29th 2009 9:46 am

Re: permanent visa granted, I'm looking for a job and I keep receiving negative respo

Originally Posted by Mizo (Post 8203065)

Are you planning on a validation trip any time soon? Perhaps you could use that to test the water, try to see some agencies in person whilst you are over there.

Mizo Dec 29th 2009 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8203141)
Are you planning on a validation trip any time soon? Perhaps you could use that to test the water, try to see some agencies in person whilst you are over there.

yeah , i will do my first landing in next may , and i will stay there for about 2 weeks , but my question is . is normal to receive such a negative responses while im still overseas and didnt arrived to australia yet ? or im might could be something else. and what is the recommneded city to go , sydeny melbourne, adeliede, perth , i have no one to go for , so i will have no problem to go any one

Bermudashorts Dec 29th 2009 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Mizo (Post 8203147)
yeah , i will do my first landing in next may , and i will stay there for about 2 weeks , but my question is . is normal to receive such a negative responses while im still overseas and didnt arrived to australia yet ? or im might could be something else. and what is the recommneded city to go , sydeny melbourne, adeliede, perth , i have no one to go for , so i will have no problem to go any one

I hear a lot of people have this kind of response whilst outside the country. Try not to get disheartened. I am going over for validation in April, my husband and I will contact few agencies a few weeks before we go and try and line up some meetings. We have aleady contacted a couple of places each and had reasonable responses, but there is not much they can do to progress a job application whilst we are on the other side of the world.

If you have no real preference of where to head then go with the jobs. I would assume there are more opportunities in Sydney, followed by Melbourne. See which city has the longest list, of course you can visit more than one city on validation trip and compare generally.

charw Dec 29th 2009 10:30 am

Wirelessly posted (NokiaN73-1/4.0750.31.2.1 Series60/3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

I hear a lot of people have this kind of response whilst outside the country. Try not to get disheartened. I am going over for validation in April, my husband and I will contact few agencies a few weeks before we go and try and line up some meetings. We have aleady contacted a couple of places each and had reasonable responses, but there is not much they can do to progress a job application whilst we are on the other side of the world.

If you have no real preference of where to head then go with the jobs. I would assume there are more opportunities in Sydney, followed by Melbourne. See which city has the longest list, of course you can visit more than one city on validation trip and compare generally.

Hi Bermuda. Hope you share your job search experience with us. I wonder whether Australian qualifications really counts for Accountants too.

I ve heard that some manage to secure permanent jobs whilst they are stil in home country. May be networking has yield the outcome.

Pollyana Dec 29th 2009 11:32 am

Its very normal. Look at it from the point of view of the employer - you aren't even arriving until May, then you only plan to stay 2 weeks. Would you employ somene with those conditions attached?

charw Dec 29th 2009 11:54 am

Wirelessly posted (NokiaN73-1/4.0750.31.2.1 Series60/3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Its very normal. Look at it from the point of view of the employer - you aren't even arriving until May, then you only plan to stay 2 weeks. Would you employ somene with those conditions attached?

Hi Polly & others

What is the exact role of these recruitment agencies?. Is it mandatory to go through them ? Isn't Bypassing them a viable option.?May be its a means of out sourcing of recruitment process to consultants. Here in my country canvassing does a major part in recruitment process even though the selectee is not the best. I wonder whether scenario is same in Oz.

Bermudashorts Dec 29th 2009 11:57 am

Originally Posted by charw (Post 8203406)

Hi Polly & others
What is the exact role of these recruitment agencies?. Is it mandatory to go through them ? Isn't Bypassing them a viable option.?May be its a means of out sourcing of recruitment process to consultants. Here in my country canvassing does a major part in recruitment process even though the selectee is not the best. I wonder whether scenario is same io Oz.

Charw - if you came to London and tried to find work as an accountant you would have little to zero chance of succeeding without going through a recruitment agency. It is not the case for all occupations of course, but is for this one. As far as can tell, it is quite similar in Australia.

Mizo Dec 29th 2009 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8203411)
Charw - if you came to London and tried to find work as an accountant you would have little to zero chance of succeeding without going through a recruitment agency. It is not the case for all occupations of course, but is for this one. As far as can tell, it is quite similar in Australia.

Thank you all guys, just in order to have a clear answer and also to give benefit for those who reading this thread, would you please guys any one that is already migrated and faced the same issue to give us his / her insights about what is the right & optimum thing to do , whether to try to get a job before we arrive or not , and is recommeded to use recrutment agencies or not , and what is the market potential now for IT people , and what is the best city to go for new immigrants.

Bermudashorts Dec 29th 2009 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Mizo (Post 8203434)
Thank you all guys, just in order to have a clear answer and also to give benefit for those who reading this thread, would you please guys any one that is already migrated and faced the same issue to give us his / her insights about what is the right & optimum thing to do , whether to try to get a job before we arrive or not , and is recommeded to use recrutment agencies or not , and what is the market potential now for IT people , and what is the best city to go for new immigrants.

I guess if you want answers from people who have already made the move, posting in the immigration section was not the best idea. Most of us in here are waiting for visas or have just got them. Ask a mod to move your thread to the Barbie. Or to the working abroad section.

charw Dec 29th 2009 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

Hi Polly & others
What is the exact role of these recruitment agencies?. Is it mandatory to go through them ? Isn't Bypassing them a viable option.?May be its a means of out sourcing of recruitment process to consultants. Here in my country canvassing does a major part in recruitment process even though the selectee is not the best. I wonder whether scenario is same io Oz.

I ve seen hundreds of jobs for accountants with leading online job banks like seek & mycareer with direct advertising by the employers. You mean directy applying to those will yield remote results? Further I ve heard that some recruitment agencies just publish fictious vacancies to just create employment market afloat and that had been evident in many occasions of employment market collapses.

JOE2010 Dec 29th 2009 12:22 pm

Hi Polly & others

What is the exact role of these recruitment agencies?. Is it mandatory to go through them ? Isn't Bypassing them a viable option.?May be its a means of out sourcing of recruitment process to consultants. Here in my country canvassing does a major part in recruitment process even though the selectee is not the best. I wonder whether scenario is same in Oz.

I came to Perth 4 years ago and through an agency was able to secure a job in about two weeks and the rest is history(Things were different then, the boom was real). I would have taken longer if I did it on my own. Granted you relocate next year the most flexible way of breaking into the market is through contracting, gives you a feel of the market and also time to determine what you are getting into. For such jobs - even interstate applicants are not considered leave alone someone overseas (Have a look at seek, most of the ads are qualified).

The market is picking up and their is no point of losing hope at this early stage. Just be realistic and have patience things will work out. Best wishes.

JOE2010 Dec 29th 2009 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by charw (Post 8203445)

I ve seen hundreds of jobs for accountants with leading online job banks like seek & mycareer with direct advertising by the employers. You mean directy applying to those will yield remote results? Further I ve heard that some recruitment agencies just publish fictious vacancies to just create employment market afloat and that had been evident in many occasions of employment market collapses.

There is a chance that for each advertised job, 10 head hunters are advertising on Seek. And also the employer advertising direct, unless they state no referrals from agencies. I have received calls for the same position from different agencies.

Why would any one pay advertising fees for non-existing positions? Even when the Recruitment Agencies place a general ad seeking out candindates they clearly state so.

johnnye Dec 29th 2009 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Mizo (Post 8203434)

I've been here a couple of years and work in the IT sector. I think you will find it much easier when you arrive here as most agents require a face fit meeting. You will find it difficult to get a job now for when you arrive in May as most companies want people to start soon, and within a couple of weeks if you are working as a contractor. The seek website is the source of most contract/permanent IT jobs. All mine have come from this website. When I first arrived here I arranged to meet some agents in order to identify the number of opportunities available in the various states. I met agents in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and spoke with some in Perth. Sydney and Melbourne have most IT opportunities. Having said that, the market has become more difficult over recent months and I spent 4 weeks looking for work. This contrasts to when I arrived (Jan 2008) when I had to turn some opportunities down.