Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Permanent Visa Expires 24 Jan 2006 -

Permanent Visa Expires 24 Jan 2006 -

Old Jul 18th 2005, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

RHONEY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Permanent Visa Expires 24 Jan 2006 -

We are planning to retrun to Australia a couple of weeks before our visa expires.
Unfortunately with have only done 7 months of the required 2 years in the last five years..

I believe, this results in us having to do 13 months stratight through and then try for citizenship.!!

However, if we return to OZ in time - Can I work as a permanent resident or do the prospective new employee check the validity of my visa?

We don't want to move back and then discover that we have issues working?

Also one other question ...when reading the literature on RRV its mentions that you can apply for temporary RRV if you have been in the country one day in the last five years...so would we be able to get a 3 month temporary RRV so my wife can return for her best friends wedding?

Hope someone can help
regards
RICK
Old Jul 18th 2005, 4:50 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Visa Expires 24 Jan 2006 -

Originally Posted by RHONEY
However, if we return to OZ in time - Can I work as a permanent resident or do the prospective new employee check the validity of my visa?

If you return to Oz before your permanent residence visa expires, you then *are* a permanent resident. There will be no problem working as a permanent resident. And if an employer checks the validity of your visa that's no problem, because you *are* a permanent resident.

Your only problem - as you already know - will be that you can't leave Oz unless you're successful in getting a resident return visa.

Gina
Old Jul 18th 2005, 4:54 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RHONEY
We are planning to retrun to Australia a couple of weeks before our visa expires.
Unfortunately with have only done 7 months of the required 2 years in the last five years..

I believe, this results in us having to do 13 months stratight through and then try for citizenship.!!

Also one other question ...when reading the literature on RRV its mentions that you can apply for temporary RRV if you have been in the country one day in the last five years...so would we be able to get a 3 month temporary RRV so my wife can return for her best friends wedding?

Hope someone can help
regards
RICK
As Gina says, your permanent residency visa is exactly that - permanent. If you turn up in Australia on 23rd Jan 2006, they will let you in and you will be able to work. The only snag to this is if you want to leave the country after this, you will need an RRV. To get an RRV you may have to prove significant ties to Oz.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 12:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
As Gina says, your permanent residency visa is exactly that - permanent. If you turn up in Australia on 23rd Jan 2006, they will let you in and you will be able to work. The only snag to this is if you want to leave the country after this, you will need an RRV. To get an RRV you may have to prove significant ties to Oz.
Without the 2 years this is correct (for a 5 year RRV), however it's not usually a problem once you are *living* in Australia and can demonstrate this.
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

There is a 3 month single entry RRV available for emergencies.

When in Australia, you could get advice on RRVs from somewhere like IARC.
http://www.iarc.asn.au

Don't leave it to the last minute to return as visa expiry dates are *not* flexible.

Jeremy