Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Permanent Residency advice please

Permanent Residency advice please

Old Mar 15th 2005, 2:35 am
Just Joined

aonghuswalsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Permanent Residency advice please

Does anybody know if, once you apply for you permenant residency and leave to say go travelling for a while. How and where do you pick up your PR if accepted. Then once you have accepted...how long do you have before you have to come back to Australia???
Old Mar 15th 2005, 3:27 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Permanent Residency advice please

Originally Posted by aonghuswalsh
Does anybody know if, once you apply for you permenant residency and leave to say go travelling for a while. How and where do you pick up your PR if accepted. Then once you have accepted...how long do you have before you have to come back to Australia???

You'd have to inform the DIMIA if you were going to be out of the country, as your visa requires your passport to be granted fully. You then need to validate within 12 months of your medical/PCC (whichever was first)
Old Mar 15th 2005, 3:33 am
Just Joined

aonghuswalsh is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for this. So if I apply while in Australia I would have to tell the DIMIA that I was going to go off travelling for a while. When you say my passport needs to be fully granted what does this mean? So I would be best leaving the medical till the last moment if i wanted to take a decent bit of time off for travelling yeah?

PCC????

Sorry I still a bit of a novice about all this PR stuff

Thanks in advance

Originally Posted by mlbonner
You'd have to inform the DIMIA if you were going to be out of the country, as your visa requires your passport to be granted fully. You then need to validate within 12 months of your medical/PCC (whichever was first)
Old Mar 15th 2005, 3:37 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for this. So if I apply while in Australia I would have to tell the DIMIA that I was going to go off travelling for a while. When you say my passport needs to be fully granted what does this mean? So I would be best leaving the medical till the last moment if i wanted to take a decent bit of time off for travelling yeah?

PCC????

Thanks in advance
I suggest you jump on www.immi.gov.au and find out what type of visa you are going for and whether it is one that can only be granted offshore, ie you have to be out of Australia for grant. There are a number of visas that lead to PR.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 3:38 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

PCC????

Thanks in advance
Sorry, no. Your visa is a bit of paper, that will require your passport to be fully granted (it gets stuck in there by DIMIA)

It depends a lot on your visa type (as Bondi says, check about this first) but often medicals are requested at a later stage anyway - another reason DIMIA need to know how to contact you.

PCC - Are you police checks. One for each country you have lived in for 12months+ over the last 10 years. Again, these have only 12months validity.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 3:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
I suggest you jump on www.immi.gov.au and find out what type of visa you are going for and whether it is one that can only be granted offshore, ie you have to be out of Australia for grant. There are a number of visas that lead to PR.

And if you're applying for an onshore visa, you need to be onshore at time of grant and may need a Bridging Visa B before leaving Australia.

If confused - don't risk a visa mess that will cost lots of time and money to sort out - get professional advice.

Jeremy