Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Permanent residency or 457 visa?

Permanent residency or 457 visa?

Old Oct 21st 2015, 5:59 am
Just Joined

Sarah87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Permanent residency or 457 visa?

Hi my husband is a qualified Sheet metal/ Welder fabricator and im a level 3 qualified hairdresser. We have 2 children im 28 and my husband 29. We really want to move to perth but not sure whether to go for sponsorship or just for permanent residency? If my husband got sponsorship would i be able to work as a hairdresser in Perth?
Old Oct 21st 2015, 7:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent residency or 457 visa?

Originally Posted by Sarah87
Hi my husband is a qualified Sheet metal/ Welder fabricator and im a level 3 qualified hairdresser. We have 2 children im 28 and my husband 29. We really want to move to perth but not sure whether to go for sponsorship or just for permanent residency? If my husband got sponsorship would i be able to work as a hairdresser in Perth?
If your husband hets a 457 you are free to work as whatevere and wherever you like

The question really is -do you want to live in Australia permanently? If so, go for PR now. A 457 lasts maximum 4 years and although it can be renewed you have the constant worry that if the company folds, or your husband loses his job for some other reason, you have to find another sponsor within 90 days or go home.

Then other things come into play like higher school fees, difficulties getting credit, medicare problems....all because you would be a temporary resident not a permanent one.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Thankyou for the reply � ����. We were debating whether to go for PR because we've never been before but it's something we've always wanted to do and my husband has family out there. Do you know how much the school fees range from?
Thankyou
Old Oct 21st 2015, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Sorry was meant to be a smiley face not loads of ????.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 8:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for the reply ������. We were debating whether to go for PR because we've never been before but it's something we've always wanted to do and my husband has family out there. Do you know how much the school fees range from?
Thankyou
I don't know personally, but I have heard that WA are introducing fees for 457 holders -that would mean charging international rates for children attending state schools. It would be several thousand a year per child.
On PR the children get state schooling 'free' -that is largely funded from taxes as in the Uk, though all schools here have some kind of top-up funding expected from parents.

Hopefully someone in WA can help with more precise figures.

As for the visas -yes a 457 is cheaper if you aren't sure about a permanent move, but you need to find the sponsor and the sponsored person can only work for them. You can still apply for Pr once you arrive though, you can apply onshore or offshore at any point when you meet the requirements
Old Oct 21st 2015, 8:53 am
Just Joined

ive been researching and it seems to cost alot more for schooling etc if your not a PR. We might come out there for a couple of months on a visitor visa and see what we think then we could apply for PR.
Thankyou for your reply
Old Oct 21st 2015, 11:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

PR would be the way to go. There is a big downturn in most industries in WA at the moment and getting hired on a 457 may prove to be difficult. PR is a lot more hassle to obtain but once you have it you would have more flexibilty when you arrive

Good luck
Old Oct 21st 2015, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou. I think a PR is the way to go.