Reload this Page >

Permanent Residence and Job Enquiry

Permanent Residence and Job Enquiry

Old Sep 12th 2012, 11:10 am
Just Joined

j0n4g4ts1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Permanent Residence and Job Enquiry

Hi Everyone

We are trying to fulfill our OZ dream and have few questions and need pointers before we kick start the process. My wife is a Nurse, qualified in 2007 have worked as a Community Nursing and also worked in one or two Nursing homes part-time. She Left Community Nursing and is now studying Masters in Public Health specializing in Occupational Health. She is also working for NHS Direct through an Agency on a part-time basis as well. I am an IT Engineer working for NHS with more than 10 years experience. I am 37 and She is 32 and we both have British passports and have two kids 9 and 3

My Questions

1. What are our chances of getting Permanent residence
2. What is the job market like at the moment in OZ especially for nurses and
IT ie are they any states that are better in terms of job opportunities. Is it
easy to get jobs especially near towns as we don't want to go in rural
areas and be isolated.
3. How is the OZ economy now, read a few articles given warnings about the
OZ economy.
4. What's the starting point if we want to apply for permanent Residence
through the point system

Thanks in advance guys for your time
Old Sep 12th 2012, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Residence and Job Enquiry

Hi

Try http://www.immi.gov.au/ as a starting point. Use the visa wizard to work out which visa you are eligible to go for.

There is also a nursing forum on this site which is worth taking a look at x
Old Sep 12th 2012, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Exclamation Re: Permanent Residence and Job Enquiry

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Hi

Try http://www.immi.gov.au/ as a starting point. Use the visa wizard to work out which visa you are eligible to go for.

There is also a nursing forum on this site which is worth taking a look at x
I have been trying to get to the Nursing Link, I don't seem to find it

Thanks
Old Sep 12th 2012, 9:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j0n4g4ts1
I have been trying to get to the Nursing Link, I don't seem to find it

Thanks
Its in the Working Abroad section. try here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forum...aysprune=&f=72
Old Sep 12th 2012, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j0n4g4ts1
Hi Everyone

We are trying to fulfill our OZ dream and have few questions and need pointers before we kick start the process. My wife is a Nurse, qualified in 2007 have worked as a Community Nursing and also worked in one or two Nursing homes part-time. She Left Community Nursing and is now studying Masters in Public Health specializing in Occupational Health. She is also working for NHS Direct through an Agency on a part-time basis as well. I am an IT Engineer working for NHS with more than 10 years experience. I am 37 and She is 32 and we both have British passports and have two kids 9 and 3

My Questions

1. What are our chances of getting Permanent residence
2. What is the job market like at the moment in OZ especially for nurses and
IT ie are they any states that are better in terms of job opportunities. Is it
easy to get jobs especially near towns as we don't want to go in rural
areas and be isolated.
3. How is the OZ economy now, read a few articles given warnings about the
OZ economy.
4. What's the starting point if we want to apply for permanent Residence
through the point system

Thanks in advance guys for your time
The starting point is to see if your jobs are on the skilled occupation list and if you can pass a points test and a skills assessment for the occupation you identify off the list. Your chances all depend on that, hard for anyone to comment more.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Do you have permanent contracts with the NHS? From the sounds of it your jobs may make you eligible for Oz (follow advice before!) As someone who had a permanent contract in the UK, I would just say consider what you're doing carefully before giving up relative security of permanent roles for the casual turbulence of the Oz employment market. Although my family have had a great few years in Oz, financially (salary/job security/pension/sick pay/health etc) we have taken a big hit. I'm sorry if I sound negative, but if there is any way you could take a career break/sabattical to give OZ a try this may be worth considering.....
Old Sep 15th 2012, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
Do you have permanent contracts with the NHS? From the sounds of it your jobs may make you eligible for Oz (follow advice before!) As someone who had a permanent contract in the UK, I would just say consider what you're doing carefully before giving up relative security of permanent roles for the casual turbulence of the Oz employment market. Although my family have had a great few years in Oz, financially (salary/job security/pension/sick pay/health etc) we have taken a big hit. I'm sorry if I sound negative, but if there is any way you could take a career break/sabattical to give OZ a try this may be worth considering.....
I don't think you are being negative, its something that we have also been debating about. The plan was to get Permanent Residence and try to get jobs from here (UK) at least one of us. I understand you have 5 years to immigrate from the time the PR visa is issued.

We are trying to do this for the Kids, we feel Australia is an ideal place to bring up kids but yes we do admit its a gamble coz I have read about people struggling to get jobs down under on this forum.

Cheers