Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Permanent position Vs contract position (what's the difference?)

Permanent position Vs contract position (what's the difference?)

Old Apr 1st 2010, 4:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent position Vs contract position (what's the difference?)

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Thought you worked for same mob as I do?

Contractors on rostered unless you've negotiated a special deal have 1 hour minimum notice, i've seen people last year during the slow down be told to get their things and go just like that

Think it's pretty much the same all over Oz, most of the time they'll give you a week or so as a good will gesture but there's no legal minimum
I recently left there and am now working for one of the major iron-ore outfits. I happen to have a copy of my old contract on me and can confirm it's 1 week. I was with metals and minerals and they could have different contracts to other CSGs within the company. Any company that gave me 1 hour's notice because of a downturn would never see me again when the upturn came - and the way things are heading, 1 hour's notice would be suicide for a company hoping to recruit for the future.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 4:36 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DeadVim
As you can tell, there are different kinds of flavours of "contract". You need to find out more specifics.

My first job was advertised as an 'on-going contract' (not through an agency, I made some HR contacts). I started with 3 months, had another 3 months, then 6 months then was made permanent. All the time I had the benefits of annual leave/carers leave and sick leave, super was covered by my employer as if were permanent.

This, I realise, is not what a 'contract' is widely seen to be but that's how it was advertised.

Didn't need an ABN or anything like that.

This is fairly common here, apparently. Employers don't like to commit especially with fly-by-night blow-ins

In short, you need to find out specifics from the agent and assume nothing!
That's spot on. There are PAYG contracts in Australia which are vitrually identical to perm positions only without the perm benefits.

A rolling contract is just a contract that keeps going until it is terminated.

If you intend to make contracting you livelihood then it is better to register as a Pty Ltd.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 4:38 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I recently left there and am now working for one of the major iron-ore outfits. I happen to have a copy of my old contract on me and can confirm it's 1 week. I was with metals and minerals and they could have different contracts to other CSGs within the company. Any company that gave me 1 hour's notice because of a downturn would never see me again when the upturn came - and the way things are heading, 1 hour's notice would be suicide for a company hoping to recruit for the future.
As with contracts, it all cmes down to how you negotiate it. There is no standard and I have negotiated contracts with 1 week notice to 4 week notice termination clauses.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

showdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really nice

Thanks all, you've give me plenty to think about