Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Permanent migration from temporary visa

Permanent migration from temporary visa

Old Sep 9th 2001, 11:49 am
Just Joined

prude is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife and I are soon going to Australia on a Labour Agreement temporary visa (457). Can we apply for permanent migration once we are out there, and do we leave Australia to do it??? If we do have to leave, for how long?

Thanks for your help.

Stephen
Old Sep 9th 2001, 8:14 pm
Jaj

You can apply for skilled migration even if you're physically in Australia but you
will have to send your application to an offshore office. And go offshore to collect
your visa when it's granted.

If your 457 were to expire before your permanent visa came through you would not get
a bridging visa because your application would be an offshore one.

If you employer wants to sponsor you for Employer Nomination permanent residence that
can be applied for onshore and you would be entitled to a bridging visa if necessary.

Jeremy

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 10th 2001, 1:24 pm
Simon Fletcher

My current (two year long) temporary residency (457) visa only has three months let
to run. My original sponsor is in the process of applying for an additional period as
I wait for a decision on my permanent residency application.

I understand that I wont get a bridging visa while my permanent residency application
is being processed; I'm a Brit so it's being processed overseas. However, I need to
know if I get a bridging visa if my 457 visa extension is not processed before the
current one runs out.

Thanks, Simon

Old Sep 10th 2001, 8:19 pm
Jaj

>
    >

I'm not sure what being British has to do with the fact your PR application is being
processed overseas. Only New Zealanders and overseas students can apply for skilled
PR onshore.

>
    >

Your 457 extension is an onshore application and hence should qualify you for a
bridging visa.

Jeremy

Old Sep 11th 2001, 1:58 pm
Simon Fletcher

>
    >
    >

It seems that I can apply while I'm here, but I've been told I have to lodge the
application with an overseas office.

>
    >

Well, that's good to know at least

Thanks, Simon