Perm Address Q

Old Jul 2nd 2002, 11:49 am
Squeaking Member

Anon E Mouse is on a distinguished road
Default Perm Address Q

Hi all,

We plan to spend a few (2-4) months touring round Oz when we arrive. But what about driving lic? PR holders are treated differently to temp. visitors; you're supposed to exchange your UK lic for an Oz one in the first three months from the state where you now reside. But we're still unsure where we'll finally settle and besides, since we'll be travelling for a while, we wont have a perm address in any state either...

And what about interstate? Are (say) NSW lic valid in (say) QLD for more than 3 months?

Thinking about it, getting a medicare card and TFN could also be problematic....

Ideas? Rent somewhere for a few weeks, sort out the paperwork then travel? Sounds expensive. PO box or a friends address? Is this legal?

Mouse (still confused....)
Old Jul 2nd 2002, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

a1macc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perm Address Q

Hi Anon,

I've got all the same issues about travelling when I arrive, however I know I'm going to settle in Melbourne.

I'll be interested to see the replies you get!
Old Jul 2nd 2002, 11:41 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about licence as we are here on Temp 457 and do not need to get Aus licences but friends address is fine for TFN, you need a contact address for them to send you the TFN. You just need passport with Vaild PR visa and say Birth Certificate to get the TFN applied for. I think Medicare is the same. Anyway this is how it worked for us as we used a temp address for six weeks but it could have been any address. As soon as we moved to our currently rental we just informed the relevant places of our new address. I don't know how this would work for registering for child support that you are entitled to (kids obviously needed) if you are travelling. Have fun travelling
Old Jul 3rd 2002, 3:20 am
Andrew

Hi Mouse,

I think it's local residency thats the key. As you know you can travel on your UK
driving licence for up to 3 months in any state before you are required to take up a
local state licence. Also Oz licences a valid interstate for up to 3 months I
believe, after that I think they consider that you are a local resident and should
get a local licence.

If you want to keep driving legally you probably should get a local state licence
before the 3 months is up . (Best to choose a state where only the written test is
required). Then you'll have another 3 months to drive on that licence interstate
(3+3=6 months). This is also a good idea because many of the road rules are different
and will help to explain some of the crazy/erratic driving that you'll encounter when
you get here!

Can anybody tell me is this is wrong?

Good luck, AndyH.

Anon E Mouse <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > We plan to spend a few (2-4) months touring round Oz when we arrive. But what about
    > driving lic? PR holders are treated differently to temp. visitors; you're supposed
    > to exchange your UK lic for an Oz one in the first three months from the state
    > where you now reside. But we're still unsure where we'll finally settle and
    > besides, since we'll be travelling for a while, we wont have a perm address in any
    > state either...
    >
    > And what about interstate? Are (say) NSW lic valid in (say) QLD for more than
    > 3 months?
    >
    > Thinking about it, getting a medicare card and TFN could also be problematic....
    >
    > Ideas? Rent somewhere for a few weeks, sort out the paperwork then travel? Sounds
    > expensive. PO box or a friends address? Is this legal?
    >
    >
    > Mouse (still confused....)

Old Jul 3rd 2002, 7:02 pm
Squeaking Member

Anon E Mouse is on a distinguished road

Thats what we were thinking. But still, I'm not sure about using a temp address such as a PO Box or mail forwarding agency.
Old Jul 5th 2002, 10:20 pm
Hills

Anon E Mouse wrote:

> Hi all,
    >
    > We plan to spend a few (2-4) months touring round Oz when we arrive. But what about
    > driving lic? PR holders are treated differently to temp. visitors; you're supposed
    > to exchange your UK lic for an Oz one in the first three months from the state
    > where you now reside. But we're still unsure where we'll finally settle and
    > besides, since we'll be travelling for a while, we wont have a perm address in any
    > state either...
    >
    > And what about interstate? Are (say) NSW lic valid in (say) QLD for more than
    > 3 months?
    >
    > Thinking about it, getting a medicare card and TFN could also be problematic....
    >
    > Ideas? Rent somewhere for a few weeks, sort out the paperwork then travel? Sounds
    > expensive. PO box or a friends address? Is this legal?
    >
    > Mouse (still confused....)

Use a friends address for TFN and medicare card (cheaper that way, and if you pick
your friends right, they won't up and leave the address, so your mail should be safe
with them) As for the drivers licence, I'd suggest don't worry about changing it over
until you have a 'residence'. Yes, you're supposed to change it over. I'm not aware
of any penalties for not doing it... I'd guess if the police pulled you over for
speeding on your UK licence, they're going to fine you for speeding and say 'have a
nice holiday' instead of immediately checking whether you have permanent or temporary
residence status (just imagine the traffic police trying to read Aus visas!!!). LJ