Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Performance of commercial proxies for watching UK TV

Performance of commercial proxies for watching UK TV

Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

bigdave764 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Performance of commercial proxies for watching UK TV

I current use the £5/month VPN proxy service with http://www.my-expat-network.co.uk/ to get BBC iPlayer, 4oD and ITV to work from Australia.

However, using www.speedtest.net, I've compared the speed of my raw Internet connection (3.6 Mbps) versus when the VPN to the UK is running (it varies but is often as low as 0.6 Mbps). Consequently, I find that many shows in standard def will not stream reliably, and I notice that 4oD now only allows streaming viewing since they discontinued the Desktop Application which worked like iPlayer.

Has anyone else got any recommendations for commercial proxies, and has anyone measured the speed of their connection when running through the proxy vs their raw connection?

One other irritation of the current solution is that it requires their proprietary VPN software to be installed, which means I can't use iPlayer on my iPhone or Wii. Has anyone found a service which offers a standard type of proxy or something which works on a 'non-computer'?

Dave
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice
Default Re: Performance of commercial proxies for watching UK TV

Originally Posted by bigdave764
I current use the £5/month VPN proxy service with http://www.my-expat-network.co.uk/ to get BBC iPlayer, 4oD and ITV to work from Australia.

However, using www.speedtest.net, I've compared the speed of my raw Internet connection (3.6 Mbps) versus when the VPN to the UK is running (it varies but is often as low as 0.6 Mbps). Consequently, I find that many shows in standard def will not stream reliably, and I notice that 4oD now only allows streaming viewing since they discontinued the Desktop Application which worked like iPlayer.

Has anyone else got any recommendations for commercial proxies, and has anyone measured the speed of their connection when running through the proxy vs their raw connection?

One other irritation of the current solution is that it requires their proprietary VPN software to be installed, which means I can't use iPlayer on my iPhone or Wii. Has anyone found a service which offers a standard type of proxy or something which works on a 'non-computer'?

Dave
why don't you just use thebox or uknova then you can veiw them when you want.