Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perception of crime in Perth

Perception of crime in Perth

Old Jan 1st 2008, 1:06 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perception of crime in Perth

Originally Posted by renth
In the nearly 5 years we've been here we have had:

1. Wife's purse stolen at the kids school, Ocean Reef.
2. Wife's mobile stolen.
3. Both cars broken in to on our drive, Ocean Reef.
4. Wife witnessed a carjacking.
5. We witnessed our neighbours being beaten up, stabbed in an unprovoked attack, Ocean Reef.
6. Wife had a rock thrown at her car in Mullaloo.
Just to add to this list, last night at a NYE party I met a 17 year old lad from my street, he couldn't walk properly and his arm was bandaged. Turns out he was stabbed 5 times with a 7 inch knife at a party a couple of months ago. So add this to the list...

7. Boy in my street stabbed 5 times, nearly died.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 7:58 pm
Moonbeast

ktyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Georgina H
Where do you live in Manchester, just out of interest?

I don't think that it is fair to compare Stalybridge with places like Moss Side and Salford, given that it is considerably out of Manchester (in Cheshire actually) and if you are including areas that far out, why omit Ashton or Droylsden which are considerably worse?

I live in Stalybridge at the moment and have done for 5 years, before that I had always lived in Hyde (Gee Cross), in the time I have lived in Stalybridge I have never had a break in.

Also just look at the difference in house prices between Stalybridge and Salford, Moss Side etc, that speaks volumes. Moss Side and Salford have had years and years of crime with all the gangs in Manchester, Stalybridge is getting worse than it was but we are talking about two totally different animals here.

Rant over, for the record, I don't think anywhere in the Manchester area is ideal, which is why we are moving to Perth.
bstardo's lying. He's probably from Bowden or somewhere.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

sarahjaneb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ktyler1961
bstardo's lying. He's probably from Bowden or somewhere.
when you talk about the crime in perth are you really talking about the crime in the inner city or the surrounding suburbs?if you mean everywhere where would you say is the safest place in australia to live?
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by renth
Just to add to this list, last night at a NYE party I met a 17 year old lad from my street, he couldn't walk properly and his arm was bandaged. Turns out he was stabbed 5 times with a 7 inch knife at a party a couple of months ago. So add this to the list...

7. Boy in my street stabbed 5 times, nearly died.
Renth, you really need to move mate. I lived in Como / South Perth for 5 years...no problems (other than the Real Estate Agents), and most recently in Carramar and The Vines for 3 years, again no problems. Sounds like you are in an area of high problems. After posting this, I better get my baseball bat out and put it by my bed!!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 7:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahjaneb
when you talk about the crime in perth are you really talking about the crime in the inner city or the surrounding suburbs?if you mean everywhere where would you say is the safest place in australia to live?
Both. For the safest place in Australia I would think maybe Tasmania?