Perception of crime in Perth

Perception of crime in Perth

Old Dec 29th 2007, 8:34 am
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perception of crime in Perth

Originally Posted by renth
In the nearly 5 years we've been here we have had:

1. Wife's purse stolen at the kids school, Ocean Reef.
2. Wife's mobile stolen.
3. Both cars broken in to on our drive, Ocean Reef.
4. Wife witnessed a carjacking.
5. We witnessed our neighbours being beaten up, stabbed in an unprovoked attack, Ocean Reef.
6. Wife had a rock thrown at her car in Mullaloo.
Thats pretty bad, I have not had that in my lifetime here. How does it compare to where you left in the U.K
Old Dec 29th 2007, 8:37 am
Banned

bstardo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
Thats pretty bad, I have not had that in my lifetime here. How does it compare to where you left in the U.K

Thats happened to us, in the last 10 years, but I can also count around another 15 families in my locality where it has aswell.

UK That is
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:05 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
There wasn't too much crime in Nutley, East Sussex.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 1:18 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
A favourite trick is for the burglars to come back for the new stuff that was replaced on insurance payouts.
Yup. We were burgled on a Sunday night and the following week they were back. Or at least someone was. Whether it was the same people or not we don't know, but either way it was twice in a few days. When my husband asked the Joondalup police about filing a report they tried to fob him off until he insisted. His passport was stolen, so we needed a police file number to get him a new one.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 8:51 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind admitting that this thread is making me nervous

Sure I know that crime happens everywhere. Where I live now we have to keep our doors locked and chained while we are in the house.

The nearest shopping centre to us has police crawling over it and the crime rate has shot up.

I suppose its the thought of going somewhere worse than where we are now. My God you wouldnt sleep with your window open where I am and my neighbour was burgled in April and we saw the intruder in the garden
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:39 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guest5234
Thats just plain stupid....no matter where you live their will always be bad apples in the barrell...you were lucky......then again I live in the cotswolds and have never locked my car in the village or outside my house.
Oh come on! Everyone knows that if you leave your car keys in your shoes on the beach while you go surfing no one will ever find them.

Admittedly the camera wasn't ours and I wouldn't have left that on top of a bag but $6 in change and prescription glasses that won't suit anyone else is hardly a risk. Because everyone does it you are (i) unlikely to find people nicking stuff because they do the same thing (ii) if anyone does go on the rob the chances they go for ours is slim and (iii) we were back and to all day, there were people sitting near us who would recognise a stranger in our stuff - and people will intervene here not like the UK.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
Sorry to hear about that. It really leaves a nasty taste, I know.

There is no way to escape it. It happens in expensive suburbs and cheap ones. It happens all along the beaches in the north (just look for the broken glass on the ground in virtually any car park), from Cottesloe to Quinns Rocks and beyond, and at other places (Pinnaroo Cemetery is a well-known one).

Perth is known as the burglary capital of Australia. It is full of thieving b@stards, just waiting for their chance. Unless you are very lucky, it will happen sooner or later to you or someone close to you if you are here long enough.

Quite a few people I've met who have been here a long time say the only way to deal with it is to expect to be burgled, or have your car broken in to, every time you go away, or park the car (and sometimes even if you don't go away). Expect it, and be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't happen. I know of people in some quite expensive suburbs who said they have been burgled twice in a year. A favourite trick is for the burglars to come back for the new stuff that was replaced on insurance payouts.

I think you have to have come from a pretty rough bit of the UK for Perth to be better in terms of crime.
Well I've lived here for a long time and the car has been stolen once (around 89) and the house has been broken into once (87).Other than that ,nothing,oh I forgot there was an attempted burglary on a rental property in Vic Park around 2000.

I know very few people who have been broken into or had cars stolen.

When we lived in Adelaide we were broken into once and sure enough they came back around 6-8 weeks later to try to get the new gear that the insurance company had bought,that was probably around 93.

On holiday in the UK it usually takes the first night for the hire car to be broken into,never fails.Next door neighbour always took the front wheel off his car to stop people stealing it.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
1.saw a stray crisp bag
2.some poo on a verge.
3.saw a untied shoe lace
4.saw a man on his mobile phone in the service station.
5.i heard a bloke say"fluck"when he dropped a slab of tooies on his foot.
6.saw two blokes get an old lady across the road when there were three of em.
7.saw a bloke driving at 30 in a 60
8.heard a carol singer tut when i gave him 10 bucks.
9.saw a man slip on a banana skin

Aaaah same old exciting Perth.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bstardo
Maybe some of the northeners who are so enfactuated with Uk should move to salford stalybridge, clifton, moss side, harpur hey, etc.

I have lived in Salford and never had any problems. In Perth there was always somebody we knew who had been broken into or had there car stolen. Our car was stolen and was never seen again.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 8:26 am
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice

Originally Posted by worzel
Oh come on! Everyone knows that if you leave your car keys in your shoes on the beach while you go surfing no one will ever find them.

Admittedly the camera wasn't ours and I wouldn't have left that on top of a bag but $6 in change and prescription glasses that won't suit anyone else is hardly a risk. Because everyone does it you are (i) unlikely to find people nicking stuff because they do the same thing (ii) if anyone does go on the rob the chances they go for ours is slim and (iii) we were back and to all day, there were people sitting near us who would recognise a stranger in our stuff - and people will intervene here not like the UK.

You really talk some rubbish....what do you mean "people will intervene here not like the UK" what a load of tosh....anyone in the UK would intervene if they saw someone pinching another persons stuff while that person was swimming or whatever....aussies are no better or no worse than brits, dont be so stupid.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:11 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guest5234
You really talk some rubbish....what do you mean "people will intervene here not like the UK" what a load of tosh....anyone in the UK would intervene if they saw someone pinching another persons stuff while that person was swimming or whatever....aussies are no better or no worse than brits, dont be so stupid.
Do I assume you are Sher Khan or one of the other trolls we get on here from time to time? I just looked at your posting history - you have been on here two weeks, no hellos or other common courtesies, several abusive posts, you are glad a guy has cancer, other posts are stirring s**t and you are jumping about on forums all over the world (not seen any on the antarctica forum yet, though).

Maybe I am wrong in which case you are just an arrogant w****r.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Georgina H will become famous soon enoughGeorgina H will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bstardo
Maybe some of the northeners who are so enfactuated with Uk should move to salford stalybridge, clifton, moss side, harpur hey, etc.
Where do you live in Manchester, just out of interest?

I don't think that it is fair to compare Stalybridge with places like Moss Side and Salford, given that it is considerably out of Manchester (in Cheshire actually) and if you are including areas that far out, why omit Ashton or Droylsden which are considerably worse?

I live in Stalybridge at the moment and have done for 5 years, before that I had always lived in Hyde (Gee Cross), in the time I have lived in Stalybridge I have never had a break in.

Also just look at the difference in house prices between Stalybridge and Salford, Moss Side etc, that speaks volumes. Moss Side and Salford have had years and years of crime with all the gangs in Manchester, Stalybridge is getting worse than it was but we are talking about two totally different animals here.

Rant over, for the record, I don't think anywhere in the Manchester area is ideal, which is why we are moving to Perth.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:55 am
Banned

Hoggie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marcpiano
With yet another murder last night (and yet another serious assault in one of the nightclubs I was working) I'm interested to hear of ExPats perceptions of the crime rate in Perth?

Working security/nightclubs it's stayed pretty much constant in terms of low-level disorder since I started working in the industry, but the violent crime and murder rate has shot up in my perception even in the year and a half or so I've been back here.

Went back to the UK for a couple of weeks and my friends there still had the misconception of Perth being some sort of crime-free utopia and were quite taken aback when I told them the real story.

So interested to hear the views of those who live here now on the crime rate and how it's affected them, if at all. Also interested on hearing the views of those yet to move here but considering it.
If you take a look at who's committing the crimes, it doesn't take Einstein to work out why these incidents are increasing.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:05 am
Banned

Originally Posted by renth
In the nearly 5 years we've been here we have had:

1. Wife's purse stolen at the kids school, Ocean Reef.
2. Wife's mobile stolen.
3. Both cars broken in to on our drive, Ocean Reef.
4. Wife witnessed a carjacking.
5. We witnessed our neighbours being beaten up, stabbed in an unprovoked attack, Ocean Reef.
6. Wife had a rock thrown at her car in Mullaloo.
I think the moral of this story is.......

......don't live in Ocean Reef.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:06 am
Banned

Originally Posted by worzel
Do I assume you are Sher Khan or one of the other trolls we get on here from time to time? I just looked at your posting history - you have been on here two weeks, no hellos or other common courtesies, several abusive posts, you are glad a guy has cancer, other posts are stirring s**t and you are jumping about on forums all over the world (not seen any on the antarctica forum yet, though).

Maybe I am wrong in which case you are just an arrogant w****r.
here, here. Don't rise to it Worzel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.