Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pep talk, please!

Pep talk, please!

Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:15 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pep talk, please!

Well, tonight is the night that I tell my parents that we are, officially, making the visa application and planning to leave the country in July/Aug. They know that this was the vague plan, and were very excited about it, totally behind us etc. But that was when it was a vague plan, and now it is a bit more than that. I'm sure it'll be fine, but I'm just a wee bit scared and need some of your collective words of wisdom!

Things are happening fast: found out today that we might be in line for a business opportunity in Oz. Last night, Mr Bundy and I had a Serious Talk about The Future, agreeing that I will hand in my notice in Feb, leave in May, temp for a couple of months then head Down Under. We're working on the application this weekend. So things are finally happening (at long last) and now my head is spinning....

Encouragement, please!
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:22 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Bundy - all will be well - you sound very sorted, you and Mr Bundy are solid and I don't think your folks will be too surprised - if I had a son or daughter who met someone from anothr country I would almost expect them to go there at some point.

Go for it!!!

and good luck.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:24 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollster
Bundy - all will be well - you sound very sorted, you and Mr Bundy are solid and I don't think your folks will be too surprised - if I had a son or daughter who met someone from anothr country I would almost expect them to go there at some point.

Go for it!!!

and good luck.
Thanks. I don't know why I'm worrying, but I am!
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:26 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Maybe you are like me - I worry if I haven't got anything to worry about!
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:27 am
She's a bird, you know

Yep, me too. I got that from my dad!
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:30 am
Impressive Member

lostkiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Any worries or upset you have now will dissapear the day you step of the plane!

Good luck!
J
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:34 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by lostkiwi
Any worries or upset you have now will dissapear the day you step of the plane!

Good luck!
J

Assuming we get that far, of course....

There I go again!
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:38 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

This is how it went with Pascal's parents.
We were talking about Oz often, and maybe living there some day (so even more vague), and then told them about a year ago.

First: remember, just come out with it, there'll never be a right moment. So you better be posting here tommorrow that you told them, no excuses!

Also, I think you'll be fine because you it's pretty clear what your plans were, and Mr Bundy's an Aussie, so they're probably expecting it.
Even if they do take it badly, they now have at least 6 months to get used to it, which (usually) does wonders!
Did in our case!
Ok, they're still not happy about it (of course) but are supportive, have already got money saved up for a visit, and plans to come in december already.
What also might've helped though is that we first used the word immigration, and are now saying, we are going over there to live for a while, we'll see how we survive, we might be coming back.

I think in you case the change will be small you're coming back, but of course you never know, and maybe just saying that will help!

I'm sure they'll be fine! Really! Especially if they knew the vague plan!

Good luck anyway!

Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:44 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by Simone82
This is how it went with Pascal's parents.
We were talking about Oz often, and maybe living there some day (so even more vague), and then told them about a year ago.

First: remember, just come out with it, there'll never be a right moment. So you better be posting here tommorrow that you told them, no excuses!

Also, I think you'll be fine because you it's pretty clear what your plans were, and Mr Bundy's an Aussie, so they're probably expecting it.
Even if they do take it badly, they now have at least 6 months to get used to it, which (usually) does wonders!
Did in our case!
Ok, they're still not happy about it (of course) but are supportive, have already got money saved up for a visit, and plans to come in december already.
What also might've helped though is that we first used the word immigration, and are now saying, we are going over there to live for a while, we'll see how we survive, we might be coming back.

I think in you case the change will be small you're coming back, but of course you never know, and maybe just saying that will help!

I'm sure they'll be fine! Really! Especially if they knew the vague plan!

Good luck anyway!

Thanks Simone. Even with the vague plans, we've always stuck to the 'might not be forever' route. Mr Bundy has Right of Abode here in the UK, so we've told them that part of the reason we are doing this is so that we can have a choice of where to live.

I come from a family that lives all over the world, although none as far as Oz, so they'll be fine. It's my dad that worries me - I'm the only girl (2 brothers) and I know he'll be sad about 'losing' me to the other side of the planet. But I also know that they are really keen to visit!

The good thing is that they have met Mr Bundy's dad and many of our aussie friends, so they know something of our life out there.

I'm also worried about my younger brother as we're really close, but I think he's excited about the possibility of a free holiday in Oz!
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Good on ya...
ts nice to hear a really positive attitude
wish you all the very best in the world.....
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

No one can worry like me...worried so much my blood pressure went up.........got so worried went even higher.............at this rate will be dead by sunday........hope not
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:48 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by S Oldfield
No one can worry like me...worried so much my blood pressure went up.........got so worried went even higher.............at this rate will be dead by sunday........hope not
Same as my dad! He worries if his BP is up, worries when it goes up, worries when it comes down, worries, worries, worries!
Old Jan 9th 2004, 12:05 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bundy
It's my dad that worries me - I'm the only girl (2 brothers) and I know he'll be sad about 'losing' me to the other side of the planet. But I also know that they are really keen to visit!
I'm also worried about my younger brother as we're really close, but I think he's excited about the possibility of a free holiday in Oz!
I have the same situation with my dad, though only one brother, who I'm not that close to.

I'm sorry I can't say anything positive about this. It will be hard on him, and on you.
Same with us.
My dad keeps grabbing my hand and squeezing it these days, and hugs me more often.
And we've still got 6 months to go!

Others on here say very often: 'who cares' you've now got your own 'family' to take care of, and I guess it will be more like that when we have kids, but right now, our parents are still very much part of our family....

Still going though! To big a chance to give up, we can always come up.
I think things will work themselves out in the end!
Just stay positive! (and I think you will)
See, if you've got problems with being depressed, you could have problems, but I don't think that'll be the case with you and me!

Old Jan 9th 2004, 12:08 pm
WBB

Default Re: Pep talk, please!

Originally posted by bundy
Well, tonight is the night that I tell my parents that we are, officially, making the visa application and planning to leave the country in July/Aug. They know that this was the vague plan, and were very excited about it, totally behind us etc. But that was when it was a vague plan, and now it is a bit more than that. I'm sure it'll be fine, but I'm just a wee bit scared and need some of your collective words of wisdom!

Things are happening fast: found out today that we might be in line for a business opportunity in Oz. Last night, Mr Bundy and I had a Serious Talk about The Future, agreeing that I will hand in my notice in Feb, leave in May, temp for a couple of months then head Down Under. We're working on the application this weekend. So things are finally happening (at long last) and now my head is spinning....

Encouragement, please!

i had this chat a while back and it was easier than i thought, my mother was brilliant about it and is making plans to come visit us in a year or two once we are settled, good luck bundy.

Old Jan 9th 2004, 12:08 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by Simone82
I have the same situation with my dad, though only one brother, who I'm not that close to.

I'm sorry I can't say anything positive about this. It will be hard on him, and on you.
Same with us.
My dad keeps grabbing my hand and squeezing it these days, and hugs me more often.
And we've still got 6 months to go!

Others on here say very often: 'who cares' you've now got your own 'family' to take care of, and I guess it will be more like that when we have kids, but right now, our parents are still very much part of our family....

Still going though! To big a chance to give up, we can always come up.
I think things will work themselves out in the end!
Just stay positive! (and I think you will)
See, if you've got problems with being depressed, you could have problems, but I don't think that'll be the case with you and me!

I think you're right. I'm feeling better already. My parents are still a big part of my life too, although I see them less often that I used to because they live in Jersey (one of the Channel Islands) I only see them 3, maybe 4 times a year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.