Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

People who have returned to the UK

People who have returned to the UK

Old Apr 19th 2004, 10:15 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default People who have returned to the UK

This thread is about people who have returned or are returning to the UK. I know I've missed quite a few! But still.
It’s interesting to read there stories. This list isn’t to see how many returned, how many stayed, that’s impossible to figure out!

It's going to be one big mess, no order.
Click on the links for their profiles, then click on the 'search for all posts by this user' button in the top right corner to view there lasts posts.
Lots of different reasons for moving back and lots of different timeframes and places. Lots of experiences, some have had great times, some 'normal', some a lot of bad luck.

sue5665 returned after a year or 2 in Coffs Harbour, NSW and Adelaide.

Kath Returning after 2 years in Perth.

heading downunder 2002 Returned after 6 months in Brisbane.

Rosy Returned after 1.5 years in Brisbane.

Kash Returned after 3 months.

MikeStanton Returned after 12 years in Sydney.

janeyray Returning after 1 year in Perth.

karawara88 and Jirrupin Returned after about 6 months in Perth.

Pants Returning after 2.5 years in NSW

dotty Returning/returned after about 10 years in Brisbane area.

HiddenPaw Returned after 1.5 years in Melbourne.

clivey Returning after 13 years in Perth, and leaving 3 kids behind...

suffolkdiva Returning after about 6 months in Melbourne.

Ceri Returning soon after about 7 years in Brisbane.

Herman Returned after 3 years in Sydney.

Interesting results of poll (not the discussion itself)

sparky12 Returned after 2 years in Brisbane, but could be temporary.

My parents Returned after 9 years in WA. Would like to return sometime in future, partly because we're going.

Garland Returned after 2 months in Perth.

wolfens_wife and Wolfen Returned after 1 or 2 months in Melbourne.

jat Returning after 4.5 years in Melbourne.

theguitardoctor Returned after ... weeks? in New Zealand.

joebloggs Returned after 5 years in Perth.

Taniar Returned from Queensland, but trying again.

Christian S Returned after 3 years in Perth.

wilko_1984 Returned from Perth after less than a year?

gypsey Migrated all over the place!

Gladrags Returned from NZ after ...

angelica Returned after 6 months in Perth.

pommiesheila Returned after 6 months in Brisbane

chris hogan Returned after about 3 months in Perth.

cherry6 Moved back to Perth for the 4th(!) time in January. Back and forth as she says herself

pommie bastard(PB) Returned after 9 years in Perth.

ABCDiamond Returned after living in Sydney for 10 years. Then after 4(?) years returned to Brisbane, where he is now semi-retired and happy.

Merlot Returned after about 7 years in Melbourne.(was away from UK since 91)

EDITED to add people, add info.

Last edited by Simone; Apr 21st 2004 at 11:44 am.
Old Apr 19th 2004, 11:46 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

You forgot this person : http://britishexpats.com/forum/membe...fo&userid=2966

The arse end of all - Mr Pommie Bastard! now how can anybody forget him? lol

He came out with some crackers. I can't be bothered going through all of his threads, but I pulled this one out as it was near the top:

"Could the truth be crap or is the crap truth , its all far to hard for me so I will be guided by your good taste in crap.".

P.s Dotty was 10 years I seem to recall
Myself it is just over 7 years , I think ( haven't got my passport on me,) Time fly's when you're having fun.

cheers
Old Apr 19th 2004, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Gold Coasters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: People who have returned to the UK

Originally posted by Simone82
This thread is about people who have returned or are returning to the UK. I know I've missed quite a few! But still.

It's going to be one big mess, no order.
Click on the links for their profiles, then click on the 'search for all posts by this user' button in the top right corner to view there lasts posts.
Lots of different reasons for moving back and lots of different timeframes and places.

sue5665 returned after a year or 2 in Coffs Harbour, NSW and Adelaide.

Kath Returning after 2 years in Perth.

heading downunder 2002 Returned after 6 months in Brisbane.

Rosy Returned after 1.5 years in Brisbane.

Kash Returned after 3 months.

MikeStanton Returned after 12 years in Sydney.

janeyray Returning after 1 (?) year in Perth.

karawara88 and Jirrupin Returned after about 6 months in Perth.

Pants Returning after 2.5 years in NSW

dotty Returning/returned after ?? years in Brisbane area.

HiddenPaw Returned after 1.5 years in Melbourne.

clivey Returning after 13 years in Perth, and leaving 3 kids behind...

suffolkdiva Returning after about 6 months in Melbourne.

Ceri Returning soon after ?? years in Brisbane.

Herman Returned after 3 years in Sydney.

Interesting results of poll (not the discussion itself)

sparky12 Returned after 2 years in Brisbane, but could be temporary.

My parents Returned after 9 years in WA. Would like to return sometime in future, partly because we're going.

Garland Returned after 2 months in Perth.

wolfens_wife and Wolfen Returned after 1 or 2 months in Melbourne.

jat Returning after 4.5 years in Melbourne.

theguitardoctor Returned after ... weeks? in New Zealand.

joebloggs Returned after 5 years in Perth.

Taniar Returned from Queensland, but trying again.

Christian S Returned after 3 years in Perth.

wilko_1984 Returned from Perth after less than a year?

gypsey Migrated all over the place!

Gladrags Returned from NZ after ...

angelica Returned after 6 months in Perth.

pommiesheila Returned after 6 months in Brisbane

chris hogan Returned after about 3 months in Perth.

That is not that many, when you see how many people on this forum read & posted to this post, http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=130526 , Now i am not saying that all 38,269 of these people are in Oz, but after all, some are, some are on the way, & others are thinking about it, and i suppose some of them are thinking of retuning to the UK. But that is a hell of a lot of people on here, with some connection with Oz.

Mark.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 12:27 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

I think Janeyray is going back (?), or has already left too (?).

I know you have a left quite a few off, if you want some more for your list, perhaps if you search search the UK forum (although the UK forum is pretty new) ..
I know a few have gone back in the time I've be on here, damned if I can remember all their names though.

Why are you making a list anyway?
There's only one way you're going to tell if you'll be going back or staying is to find out for yourself.

Everybody is different, there are many reasons why people leave, the same that there are many reasons people stay.

What I will say, every long termers that I personally know (friends who have been here over 15, 20 , and one who has actually been here 30 years.. the majority have always said to me that they will be going back to the UK to retire at some point)

Cheers
Old Apr 20th 2004, 12:27 am
ABCDiamond

And of course don't forget the approx 1.2 million British born OZ residents of Australia, many of whom don't even know about this site.

Plus there was me !
I returned to the UK after 10 years, but came back again

Old Apr 20th 2004, 3:07 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Simone, just how bored were you
Old Apr 20th 2004, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

wulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of light

I have lived south of Perth West Australia for 37 years and have never been back to the UK. I emigrated with my husband and two children in 1967. Life is what you make it wherever you are.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 3:15 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gold Coasters
That is not that many, when you see how many people on this forum read & posted to this post, http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=130526 , Now i am not saying that all 38,269 of these people are in Oz, but after all, some are, some are on the way, & others are thinking about it, and i suppose some of them are thinking of retuning to the UK. But that is a hell of a lot of people on here, with some connection with Oz.

Mark.
The count of views goes up each time you view it. Many people will have opened the thread multiple times to see the updates and each time the view counter goes up. So its not gonna be even close to 38K different people. Probably under a 1000 different people
Old Apr 20th 2004, 6:25 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri
You forgot this person : http://britishexpats.com/forum/membe...fo&userid=2966

The arse end of all - Mr Pommie Bastard! now how can anybody forget him? lol

He came out with some crackers. I can't be bothered going through all of his threads, but I pulled this one out as it was near the top:

"Could the truth be crap or is the crap truth , its all far to hard for me so I will be guided by your good taste in crap.".

P.s Dotty was 10 years I seem to recall
Myself it is just over 7 years , I think ( haven't got my passport on me,) Time fly's when you're having fun.
cheers
Ah, I'll add that in!

And, yes, of course PB. But that one is obvious!
Ok, not for newbies, I'll add him in!

That is not that many, when you see how many people on this forum read & posted to this post, http://britishexpats.com/forum/show...threadid=130526 , Now i am not saying that all 38,269 of these people are in Oz, but after all, some are, some are on the way, & others are thinking about it, and i suppose some of them are thinking of retuning to the UK. But that is a hell of a lot of people on here, with some connection with Oz.
Mark
My point isn't how many there are. As if this forum is good for statistics!!
As Hup says, multiple viewings on the names to faces thread. I've looked at it at least 50 times (I'm serious, every times someone posts a new pic). And most of us aren't even there yet!

I think Janeyray is going back (?), or has already left too (?).
She's in there already Is nearly leaving.

I know you have a left quite a few off, if you want some more for your list, perhaps if you search search the UK forum (although the UK forum is pretty new) ..
Did that. Found some.
Then it was time to go to bed I know, I've missed plenty!
Why are you making a list anyway?
There's only one way you're going to tell if you'll be going back or staying is to find out for yourself.

Everybody is different, there are many reasons why people leave, the same that there are many reasons people stay.
Just so that people can read the experiences of others. I think these peoples stories are very interesting, and may help with the rose tinted specs.
As I said, LOTS of different reasons, timeframes etc.
My parents are in there too. Stayed 9 years. Mum got 'homesick' and it was now or never(I was 14) so they came back.
Plus there was me !
I returned to the UK after 10 years, but came back again
ABCDiamond, I'll include you!

Simone, just how bored were you
Uhmmm, yeah.... not bored as such, just crazy!!
My original plan was to track people down who have gone over, and haven't really posted since, then I got sidetracked. But I'm still doing that plan too. One day.....

I have lived south of Perth West Australia for 37 years and have never been back to the UK. I emigrated with my husband and two children in 1967. Life is what you make it wherever you are.
Welcome to the forum Wulfruna!
I also know many people who have migrated to Perth and love it and will never go back (to Holland)!
Life is what you make of it!(unfortunetly some of the people in my list have had extra bad luck though. Not all.)

HUP, I agree!

Hope this has cleared some stuff up......
I know lots of people stay. lots go, lots of different reasons, experiences, situations etc etc etc etc

Last edited by Simone; Apr 20th 2004 at 6:27 am.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 8:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting thread Simone....... will have to track down all the reasons they left now. Some I can remember, like Wolfen and the white-tails, but some I just don't know about.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 8:15 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Pommie Bastard.

The no of reasons for him leaving would certainly add up to several pages.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

OMG Simone
How long did it take you to compile all that info:scared:

Well done.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 8:28 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by debsy
OMG Simone
How long did it take you to compile all that info:scared:

Well done.

Now, we really need the most informative posts of these people.
The ones where they explain the situation.
Like with suffolkdiva is was the last one, a couple of weeks ago.
But they're not all that easy to find...

So, if you're reading one, copy the link
I could add them in later....

Yes, I know, I'm mad, why do I bother, I don't have a clue.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Gold Coasters is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HUP
The count of views goes up each time you view it. Many people will have opened the thread multiple times to see the updates and each time the view counter goes up. So its not gonna be even close to 38K different people. Probably under a 1000 different people

Hi HUP,

I did not realise that on this forum, that if you viewed the page more than once that it registers you each time you view.

I am a member of a number of different types (Music) of forums, and this is the only one that i am aware of that does that.

Oh well you learn something new, thanks for correcting me.

All the best, Mark.