Reload this Page >

for the people who asked about Removals Insurance alternatives

for the people who asked about Removals Insurance alternatives

Old May 13th 2004, 1:20 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default for the people who asked about Removals Insurance alternatives

Hi all,

I have posted about this previously but I have been reading several posts of late and they are all about taking the insurance from the removals companies themselves. Basically this is no problem at all but I will at least give an alternative so that people can look a different way and save money in the long run.

The company I ( and many others) will / have used are Letton Percival - www.lettonpercival.co.uk (formerly Merseyside Insurance Services). The contact there is a guy called Brian Naughton or Andrew Leaver (0151 236 4568) and both are very friendly and more than willing to help. They charge 1.53% for the policy which is pretty much half of the cost of all removals companies.

On a theoretical value of 25K for my total content value I would be looking at 382-50 as my premium. The Government then add a tax on that which you cannot avoid which is 5% of the premium cost. So at 25K (total contents value) total I would be looking at a total one off payment of 401-62. Of course it would change with the value insured but it is half that of the removals companies.

I also queried who the underwriters for the policy are and it is Manchester Marine Underwriters Ltd who are part of Lloyds of London Underwriters so you can be fairly confident in that respect. As for the event of having to claim the excess is 1% of the total insured but is always a minimum of 100.

Everybody is likely to have more than 10K of contents so you are always going to be looking at 1%. Even so this again is cheaper than the removals. The cover is the same as the removals and will include total loss at sea, damage etc so you are safe in your cover.

Basically this is just a post to allow people who may be new to the board to see that the removals companies aren't the only people to get insurance from. They make a lot of money from their policies (its a bit like the old extended warranties that you get from Currys / Comet for a TV that you never really need) and if you wish to stick with them, feel free, however there are alternatives.

Apologies for those that have read this before but I think in the expense that is involved and the new people that come to the board regularly this is worth a repost.

Ian
Old May 13th 2004, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Sunny spells is an unknown quantity at this point

so this company would insure all your goods even if they have been packed and loaded/unloaded by the relocators?

cheers
Old May 13th 2004, 1:28 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

What happens if you pack and unpack everything yourself, is the policy still applicable ?
Old May 13th 2004, 1:29 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

It is, however they will not insure you for breakages.

I think that is exactly the same for standard removals companies. After all they would hardly trust us (no matter who we were) to do it. It would be like me servicing my own car then expecting the warranty people to cough up if something went wrong.
Old May 13th 2004, 1:31 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

Sunny

The company would actually prefer you to let the removals companies pack the stuff. They are the apparent 'experts' in it and would 'presumably' do it right.

Not that I am saying you wouldn't of course
Old May 13th 2004, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ianj
It is, however they will not insure you for breakages.

what kind of insurance is it then?
if they don't insure against brokages and your china/glasses/mirrors get delivered in pieces???

if the relocators know that you took insurance with someone else they are going to thrash your fragiles for what they care....

or do they not cover only if you pack yourself?
Old May 13th 2004, 1:39 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

If you let the removals company pack your stuff then you are covered for ALL eventualities.

If however you pack your own stuff then I wouldn't expect an insurance company to provide cover for breakages. Even the removals companies own insurance wouldn't cover you for breakages if you had pakced your own stuff (if they did I would be surprised). At the end of the day the only person on this forum I know of that would probably get away with packing their own stuff and being able to insure it it would be Mr. Mover.......name says it all really. We are not experts in packing and removals in the insurance companies eyes so if we do it ourself then they won't cover us.

If you want to pack it yourelf then no worries, your insurance would cover you for total loss at sea (not too handy if the ship sinks) and also for other container damage. Have a search through the forum for pics of containers that have been taken and you will see why you would want it.
Old May 13th 2004, 1:45 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

Also, as for the removals companies chucking your stuff around for the spiteful vengeance of you not taking their insurance.

Is that likely to happen???? They have a reputation to look after. I am sure that the guy who comes and gives you quote for removals isn't going to go to the trouble of finding out some time later who is doing your move and saying, "Smash it all as they didn't take our insurance". It doesnt matter that they have spent 2 / 3 / 4 grand on us getting their stuff over.

That extra £500, £600 or £700 or so is what really matters.

If I even thought that then I would be looking for a different company.
Old May 13th 2004, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

I just wanted to make sure that the "alternative" insurer is happy to insure against breakages when the stuff has been packed by others, i.e. the relocators. And you have answered that - thanks.

so the difference in price is about 1.5% ish between relocator and letton percival?

do you know of anybody who have used letton percival and had to make a claim?
did they get any money back and if so in what timeframe?

thanks
Old May 13th 2004, 2:12 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

I don't know of any one off hand who has had to make a claim but there are several people on here who have used them and been very happy with their service.

From conversations I have had with Letton Percival they informed me that you have 30 days from the time you take stock of your possesions at your final destination to inspect the goods and report any problems. There is no mad rush that you have to get everything unpacked within a day or a week.

If you are putting your stuff into storage (like me) then they will continue to insure it in storage for up to 6 months (obviously having to pay a bit whilst its in storage) like the remoavls companies.

I think the whole paying out thing is a concern for everyone no matter who you use. Insurance companies are notorious in all walks to take your money, but never quite as keen to give it back until you have jumped through many hoops. Unless your removal company has offices themselves in the location you are going to, you are always going to have the hassle of late night calls and the like to get your money.

I have read so many posts on here about people having to spend so much time on the phone at 2-3 in the morning in order to try and get it sorted and the whole claim process taking an age. I dont know of anyone that has had to claim with Letton as I said but have read a fair few about people happy with their service.

At the end of the day, as Jim Bowen said...........You've got the time it takes the board to revolve."
Old May 13th 2004, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Davidd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Insurance

It seems to me that you have some connection with this Insurance Company ?
Old May 13th 2004, 3:12 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

Not at all mate. I am in IT in London. I just think that the company offer good value for money and are a worthwhile alternative to the removals companies.

Other people told me about them from the Poms in Perth website and have used them themselves. I havent got my insurance yet as I am waiting for my house to sell. At the end of it I may well be cursing them if things go wrong and they dont pay out......fingers crossed John Masons are top dogs and nothing happens.

When I have spoke to them they have been helpful. At the end of the day........rolls your dice, takes your chance.

Its an alternative.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of
Default Re: for the people who asked about Removals Insurance alternatives

The excess seems a lot-we have just claimed with Robinsons (don't even go there!)-which took ages and was a complete nightmare trying to get any money from them but the excess is £50.

Originally posted by ianj
Hi all,

I have posted about this previously but I have been reading several posts of late and they are all about taking the insurance from the removals companies themselves. Basically this is no problem at all but I will at least give an alternative so that people can look a different way and save money in the long run.

The company I ( and many others) will / have used are Letton Percival - www.lettonpercival.co.uk (formerly Merseyside Insurance Services). The contact there is a guy called Brian Naughton or Andrew Leaver (0151 236 4568) and both are very friendly and more than willing to help. They charge 1.53% for the policy which is pretty much half of the cost of all removals companies.

On a theoretical value of 25K for my total content value I would be looking at 382-50 as my premium. The Government then add a tax on that which you cannot avoid which is 5% of the premium cost. So at 25K (total contents value) total I would be looking at a total one off payment of 401-62. Of course it would change with the value insured but it is half that of the removals companies.

I also queried who the underwriters for the policy are and it is Manchester Marine Underwriters Ltd who are part of Lloyds of London Underwriters so you can be fairly confident in that respect. As for the event of having to claim the excess is 1% of the total insured but is always a minimum of 100.

Everybody is likely to have more than 10K of contents so you are always going to be looking at 1%. Even so this again is cheaper than the removals. The cover is the same as the removals and will include total loss at sea, damage etc so you are safe in your cover.

Basically this is just a post to allow people who may be new to the board to see that the removals companies aren't the only people to get insurance from. They make a lot of money from their policies (its a bit like the old extended warranties that you get from Currys / Comet for a TV that you never really need) and if you wish to stick with them, feel free, however there are alternatives.

Apologies for those that have read this before but I think in the expense that is involved and the new people that come to the board regularly this is worth a repost.

Ian
Old May 9th 2005, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

primrose will become famous soon enoughprimrose will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I've been looking for alternative insurers versus using the shippers insurance, and found this thread from last year.

Has anyone recently organised their own Marine Insurance?

Who did you use and would you recommend them?

Has anyone had to make a claim when using a different company?

Primrose
Old May 9th 2005, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

ahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by primrose
Hi,

I've been looking for alternative insurers versus using the shippers insurance, and found this thread from last year.

Has anyone recently organised their own Marine Insurance?

Who did you use and would you recommend them?

Has anyone had to make a claim when using a different company?

Primrose
we've just had our first visit from a removal company giving us a quote (bakers; 3500 inc, suffolk to brisbane). he did a fair job of pushing the merits of their insurance and its value (2%) but when i asked him about the companies own liability, and that of kent who handle the other end for them, he made it clear that they have responsibility for breakages where they are caused by one of their staff. so in that case surely any marine insurance we get is only for the 'at sea' bit, when the stuff is not handled and can really only sink. why do you need to claim off insurance for breakages? seems to me we're getting charged twice and the removal companies are avoiding all responsibility for any damage they might cause? he was very keen to sell that insurance.

i think i remember someone saying they weren't going to bother with marine insurance for this reason. has anyone had any damage at sea? how do you know where the damage occurs?

sorry about all the questions. just wondering what experiences of claims and damagages those who have actually shipped have had.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.